Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2023 PHEV for 4-1/2 months, and have driven it about 1,100 miles. My best guess on ICE mileage is around 275 total, so it would be far from broken in. I was wondering if anyone has played around with an OBD reader on a PHEV Crosstrek to see if there is a way to get miles or hours of ICE use.

· Electrified!
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
1,258 Posts
I have had my 2023 PHEV for 4-1/2 months, and have driven it about 1,100 miles. My best guess on ICE mileage is around 275 total, so it would be far from broken in. I was wondering if anyone has played around with an OBD reader on a PHEV Crosstrek to see if there is a way to get miles or hours of ICE use.
Only thing I've done with my OBD reader is use the Dash Command app so I can see in real time my fuel efficiency since the car can't read over 99.9.

I do an estimation based on miles driven and # of times charged down to half of a charge (like if I drove 8 miles round trip and had half the battery remaining). This way I can calculate equivalent gallons of gas that would have been used and multiply that by # of charges to get equivalent EV miles (# of charges * 6.46 kWh / 33.7 kWh * 30% efficiency). I estimated the full battery charge is 6.46 kWh because the car doesn't let you fully deplete the battery. 33.7 kWh is equivalent to 1gal of gas and the 30% is the efficiency of a gas engine. I then take that result times 29 as a rough fuel efficiency of the gas engine to determine miles driven.

To date over 3.5 years, my calculations show I've driven about 9950 miles in EV and I'm just over 18,000 total miles so just over 8,000 miles of ICE run time. There's a handful of times I end up charging at someone's house with my level 1 cable and I don't track that because I consider that free and don't associate a cost with that charging session.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts