Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

· Registered
2021 Sport
136 Posts
Btw, ONLY buy a Subaru warranty, not the scammy third party ones that dealers like to push.
yeah, they tried shoving a third party at me when we purchased. They were pushing it off as Subaru (the way they talked about it) It wasnt until my 10th no that i said give some information for the future and it was a third party pamphlet. Shady

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,759 Posts
yeah, they tried shoving a third party at me when we purchased. They were pushing it off as Subaru (the way they talked about it) It wasnt until my 10th no that i said give some information for the future and it was a third party pamphlet. Shady
That may be something you could report to SOA.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
Btw, ONLY buy a Subaru warranty, not the scammy third party ones that dealers like to push.
You mean like the one they sold me? Mine is a Zurich warranty and apparently Zurich is one of the better 3rd party extended warranties. Only time and miles will tell if they try to weasel out of any coverages. That is my main concern.

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,759 Posts
You mean like the one they sold me? Mine is a Zurich warranty and apparently Zurich is one of the better 3rd party extended warranties. Only time and miles will tell if they try to weasel out of any coverages. That is my main concern.
Sorry, I forgot about that. I guess you'll only know if you need to make a claim.

· Registered
70 Posts
I purchased the extended warranty for my 2012 Impreza and it saved me more than a few times. I needed a new short block after 60k, AC compressor, oil leaks from the cam carrier, needed a new drivers seat because the material inside started ripping etc. There was a deductible to pay upon repairs for 100 dollars that i wasnt aware of but it ended up being worth it for me.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
I purchased the extended warranty for my 2012 Impreza and it saved me more than a few times. I needed a new short block after 60k, AC compressor, oil leaks from the cam carrier, needed a new drivers seat because the material inside started ripping etc. There was a deductible to pay upon repairs for 100 dollars that i wasnt aware of but it ended up being worth it for me.
$100 is peanuts. These days, oil changes cost almost that.

· Registered
626 Posts
To the OP…we did the same thing with our new ‘22 forester. I said no at first. The sales person threw in. $500.00 Subaru service dollars with the sale so I said great..put that on the extended warranty. Hard no from them at first but after a little discussion they said yes. I could suck up the extended warranty with the discount. Didn’t get one on the crosstrek though.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
GEICO - full warranty - B2B - $21/month. That’s 1 lunch out skipped/month.

Worth it.
Hmmm. I didn't know GEICO was in the extended warranty business. And the advantage to paying monthly rather than in a lump sum is huge. If you pay in a lump sum at the beginning, then total or sell the car, you've lost money.

Not sure what type of warranty you got through GEICO, but if it's a 10/100, $21/month would come to $2,520 after 10 years which is about what Subaru Gold Plus costs.

· Registered
344 Posts
One word for buying one on my 21 Crosstrek Sport……… CVT. WE HAVE A 16 Forester that we bought the extra warranty for, for the same reason. For the peace of mind, money well spent…..

Reactions: Crosstreck 2014

· Registered
47 Posts
One word for buying one on my 21 Crosstrek Sport……… CVT. WE HAVE A 16 Forester that we bought the extra warranty for, for the same reason. For the peace of mind, money well spent…..
Two other big advantages, you have increased the usable life of the car as well as the value of the vehicle. That is, you can afford to keep it longer because you have taken the risk up front and do not need to fear major repairs, including the CVT. This saves you from trading more frequently and eating more in depreciation every time you trade for new. Also, you have two more options not mentioned above that are extremely valuable. First, if you decide to trade or want another car, with Subaru Gold, you can get a prorated refund of the remaining portion of the covered period. I have done this and it works great. Second, if you want to sell the car yourself, you can transfer the warranty for a small fee. Used car buyers are much more likely to purchase a vehicle with a transferable Subaru Gold warranty, you have definitely improved the value, and will have an easier time getting top dollar when you have a Subaru Gold warranty to transfer. You can always get at least 20-25% off in my experience and also, I always negotiate for a zero deductible because you do not want to get into the position of multiple things being fixed and getting wacked possibly for $100 for each item that they repair under the warranty. Factoring in the CVT risks as well as the Eyesight and very expensive proprietary safety features that are going to require original Subaru parts-- taking repairs even further outside the ability of the home mechanic, makes great sense for many more buyers than ever before. The old time thinking that rigidly opposes the purchase of such protection, especially with today's incredibly complex cars, is clearly undergoing reconsideration, if not obsolete thinking, as illustrated even by this thread which reveals a great deal of sympathy towards considering such protection, as not only very sensible but essential for many folks who have carefully assessed and determined that everything considered, a very strong case can be made for the purchase of Subaru Gold protection. And if you are not convinced, you can simply not buy, roll the dice, swing on the risks and go the self-insurance route.

· Registered
20 Posts
There are so many electronics in cars these days that my private mechanic can't work on that I've started to re-think my anti-extended warranty position. That said, I did not buy the extended for my 2019 Crosstrek nor for my 2019 Legacy and not worrying too much. Then I needed a new starter after 30K and was shocked when I was told that's not considered power train. These are my first Subaru's and starters should not fail at 30K.

· Registered
6 Posts
It's basically an insurance policy. Most of us "lose" money on insurance (how insurance companies stay in business). You get to choose whether you want fully comprehensive auto insurance, uninsured motorist coverage, etc. With the warranty, you get to chose if you want coverage after the manufacturer's warranty. No need to buy it when the car is new, and later you can haggle a bit with local dealers for a discount.
So you can buy the warranty after the origenal purchase as long as it is before the manufacturer's warranty is up? That sounds like it would be the way to go especially if you are financing it on a longer term. No need to be paying interest on a warranty that isn't doing anything for a few years.

· Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So you can buy the warranty after the origenal purchase as long as it is before the manufacturer's warranty is up? That sounds like it would be the way to go especially if you are financing it on a longer term. No need to be paying interest on a warranty that isn't doing anything for a few years.
Financing a warranty when you can buy it much later with no penalty never seemed like a good idea to me. I get that having the 1,000-2,500 bucks cash may not be an option for some so rolling it into the loan is needed. With the classic warranty direct from subaru they do offer differed monthly payments at 0% interest.

· Registered
47 Posts
There are so many electronics in cars these days that my private mechanic can't work on that I've started to re-think my anti-extended warranty position. That said, I did not buy the extended for my 2019 Crosstrek nor for my 2019 Legacy and not worrying too much. Then I needed a new starter after 30K and was shocked when I was told that's not considered power train. These are my first Subaru's and starters should not fail at 30K.
Starter motor and solenoid is covered even under the more limited Classic warranty (even assuming you are out of the standard warranty due to months). See below. Fourth one down under Electrical (get out your magnifying glass!)
Light Product Blue Rectangle Font
Automotive parking light Product Organism Tire Motor vehicle

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
30K falls under the bumper to bumper 3/36 factory warranty. Unless you are over 3 years, you should not have been denied warranty coverage for this.

I agree 30K for a starter failure is way premature. FWIW, I have never had a starter in any of the 7 cars I've owned (including 3 Subarus) go south.

· Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It will be interesting to see if starter failures go up now that cars with auto stop/start have been on the road for awhile. It seems like that feature would be tough on starters.
I have been wondering that since stop/start became a thing. I wonder how much stress is on a starter for a hot start vs cold start. Maybe starters will evolve to have a hot start Bump rather than a full crank to extend life.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
It will be interesting to see if starter failures go up now that cars with auto stop/start have been on the road for awhile. It seems like that feature would be tough on starters.
Good point.

Did I ever mention that you can avoid auto stop/start by getting an MT car? 😉

Reactions: Lonelydriver_95
21 - 40 of 74 Posts