Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my own reasons and experience for adding the extended warranty. I know that it is something a lot of people have a hard time deciding. I don’t intend this to be a debate on it being worth it or not, plenty of threads for that.
My 2021 just hit 34k miles, not a single problem(knock on wood). I am more of a DIY’er than letting anyone else work on my cars, I have done all maintenance sofar on the crosstrek(keeping in mind receipts for proof of service). With the very high miles I rack up combined with an up coming cross country road trip, I bought the extended warranty.
In the end for me it came down to the idea of a major break down out of state really. I feel better pulling into a dealer for repairs with some warranty in hand vs nothing.
i opted for the classic plan direct from subaru, 80k miles for I think $980. I weighed the gold plan which covers a lot more for about double the cost but in the end, for me, I’d rather fix minor stuff myself vs using a gold warranty. Also, the Gold plan seemed only available through dealers and not direct from subaru. I inquired a few times to my local dealer and was not pleased with the responses. Usually they disregarded my warranty request and went right into trying to get me to trade in for a new model. Or the pricing was so all over the place and not consistent it left me uncomfortable. I am hoping to have major problems covered while honestly hoping to never need the warranty and will fix minor stuff myself.
I still feel it is a $980 gamble no doubt, however being 2,500 miles from home limping into a dealer would get expensive Fast. In the end, I feel that I got a good enough price on the car and nearly 1.5 years later an additional $980 isn’t to big of deal for me for a little peace of mind. I always said that I would never pay for the extended warranty and just wanted to share that I flipped at the very last second 🫣.
If I remember at 80k miles I will post a follow up on how I feel about the $980 purchase at that point.

· Registered
174 Posts
Having worked on tons of Subaru’s, it’s easy money for warranty profits. It’s so rare to see any sort of major failures before 100,000 miles that cost anything significant. Entire engines for these things are $150 at my local junkyard.

The costs are plausible if you insist on dealer only work because their labor costs are crazy high. I think a vast amount of owners would be hard pressed to spend a grand on non-maintenance repairs though after the factory coverage of 60k miles, but before 100k miles assuming they’re using third party shops.

I’m ready to get blasted saying that lol.

· Registered
894 Posts
IMHO - Subaru is making money on this. Thus most people will loose money.

· Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I’m ready to get blasted saying that lol.
Yup, first two Crosstreks 2015 Limited and a Premium 5-speed bought new. We went with Allstate, everything covered, tip to tow 100k. They covered rims and tyres, key Flob loss and while traveling hotel and rental if out and about on vacation. Paint chip repair and stuff like that. The 5-speed is in San Francisco, daughters' schooling.

Limited
1 wheel bearing in 90k.

Dumb roll.....
Premium 5-sp, 143,000 miles = zilch nil nix noll nolla and 何も Still driving perfectly and younger daughter is the gear head. Oops.

We do all our own maintenance including hand washing.

We went with the plan again with the 2021 Limited because there is an enormous about of technology in there. Example: We had a steering wheel lock sensor go bad on our 2015 TDi MK7 but driven so little was still under warranty last winter. The cost if not under warranty was 7 hours labour and the part needing reprogramming. Labour $145/hr x 7 = $1,015 + part $200. Expensive. Took 2 full weeks to get the part. No rental. Walking. Winter time. At that moment rear calipers on the Crosstrek hit the poop bed [mag chloride] so for several days both our vehicles were out. Brakes are considered a wear part. Oh well. We couldn't even drive to get new calipers. Too cold, we rented a Chevy Spark for a week.

Typing out loud to meself.

· Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,845 Posts
I just spent $800 to have my key fobs reprogrammed so you never know. I usually laugh to the face of the person who trying to sell me extended warranty. But I used to own Toyota, Honda and Volvo. what do I know?
I have pretty strong opinions about extended warranty products in general, but most of you have already heard them so I won't beat that dead horse again. I just wanted to note that some extended warranties specifically exclude coverage for certain tech components in the car -- like reprogramming key fobs. So if you decide you want an extended warranty because of concerns for something like this, be sure to review the coverage very carefully before signing.

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,795 Posts
It's basically an insurance policy. Most of us "lose" money on insurance (how insurance companies stay in business). You get to choose whether you want fully comprehensive auto insurance, uninsured motorist coverage, etc. With the warranty, you get to chose if you want coverage after the manufacturer's warranty. No need to buy it when the car is new, and later you can haggle a bit with local dealers for a discount.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,853 Posts
Having worked on tons of Subaru’s, it’s easy money for warranty profits. It’s so rare to see any sort of major failures before 100,000 miles......................
My 09 Outback needed extensive work on brakes including the ABS system (not wear and tear items like pads and rotors), a new rack and pinion and front struts between 50K and 100K miles. I calculated the work that would have been covered by an extended warranty between when the factory warranty expired and when an extended warranty would expire. It came to around $4,000.

So when the dealer pitched an extended 10/100 warranty for my 2020 Crosstrek, at $1,750, for the first time ever, I bit.

As @AstroKats said, it's an insurance policy. You spend a little on an insurance policy so you don't have to possibly spend a fortune without it. It's a crapshoot. And that is exactly how insurance works. If I use it, I will be happy to have it. If I don't use it, I will be happy that the car is that reliable that I don't have to use it, not to mention not having to deal with the downtime and inconvenience.

· Registered
2021 Sport
139 Posts
thanks for this post. i get where youre coming from, im also a diyer, fairly handy under the hood. My wifes 21 is almost at 30k and i thought i would at least entertain the idea of extending the warranty. Im usually in the no warranty camp. I need to read through, see whats covered entirely, and weigh the cost. you dont by any chance have a copy of what covered in its entirety do you?

Thanks

· Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,753 Posts
Probably like many on this site the plan is for the Subaru to be extremely reliable. Having said that there's the assumption that something might go wrong so normally I would have bought the extended warranty, but it seemed a bit steep. I wonder if Subaru is also including in it's calculations that what it charges us to replace the steering rack is a far different figure than what it costs. I suppose any work done using the insurance coverage takes away from more profitable work on uninsured cars like mine, but still Subaru's costs are considerably cheaper than what we see as the "Pay Now" part of our bill. So insurance could be a bit of a deal, I suppose, dunno. Others are correct in that the "House always wins whenever you gamble." 'cause they have to do it that way.

· Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for this post. i get where youre coming from, im also a diyer, fairly handy under the hood. My wifes 21 is almost at 30k and i thought i would at least entertain the idea of extending the warranty. Im usually in the no warranty camp. I need to read through, see whats covered entirely, and weigh the cost. you dont by any chance have a copy of what covered in its entirety do you?

Thanks
If you google "subaru classic warranty" it will take you right to the subaru.com site with all the info. I haven’t received what I assume will be an info pack coming from subaru yet.

· Registered
894 Posts
Probably like many on this site the plan is for the Subaru to be extremely reliable. Having said that there's the assumption that something might go wrong so normally I would have bought the extended warranty, but it seemed a bit steep. I wonder if Subaru is also including in it's calculations that what it charges us to replace the steering rack is a far different figure than what it costs. I suppose any work done using the insurance coverage takes away from more profitable work on uninsured cars like mine, but still Subaru's costs are considerably cheaper than what we see as the "Pay Now" part of our bill. So insurance could be a bit of a deal, I suppose, dunno. Others are correct in that the "House always wins whenever you gamble." 'cause they have to do it that way.
But the Subaru is paying the dealer for labor and parts. That isn't at Subarus's cost. Is it lower than "Pay Now"? Not sure.

Reactions: Raleighmclemore

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,795 Posts

Thanks
It's all here:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts