Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 15 when I bought my black XV I really wanted the green but it wasn't available in a manual transmission so I went for plan B, black.

Came across a Hyundai Kona yesterday, Green, with respectful green accent in interior, really really liked it but it only came in automatic...(deal breaker otherwise I would have whipped out my CC for a down payment...not ready to give up my stick just yet)

but looking it over, gee, think the Crosstrek has come competition, I love my Crosstrek, don't get me wrong, but the Kona has some really really nice features I would love to have on mine.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,885 Posts
Consumer Reports likes it but not nearly as much as the Crosstrek. They regard it as competition for the Honda HRV.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dezlboy and amx304

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Kona was the only real competition for me as I was looking at the 2018 Crosstrek. Ultimately the Crosstrek won as its AWD is far superior and my main reason for wanting a vehicle like this was to be able to commute to work and take off into the middle of nowhere on the weekends all wrapped up into one sporty little package. Also the Kona was more expensive.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,087 Posts
It's an attractive car. And I've noticed that sometimes lower quality vehicle makers compensate with more features, which can be nice. But I wouldn't trust it as I do a Crosstrek.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Kona was the only real competition for me as I was looking at the 2018 Crosstrek. Ultimately the Crosstrek won as its AWD is far superior and my main reason for wanting a vehicle like this was to be able to commute to work and take off into the middle of nowhere on the weekends all wrapped up into one sporty little package. Also the Kona was more expensive.
I am tempted to take it for a test drive though, My wife traded in her 15 XV for a 18 XV because she didn't like the manual anymore, too many times stuck in hour long traffic, and although I do like my 15 better (styling wise) driving an automatic is not the end of the world, but with the manual transmissions going to the wayside like an 8-track tape figured I would keep mine...and I just love driving a manual...

but...the features are hard to argue and I have to admit walking into the showroom and seeing it, it was a big WOW factor.

Would love to see a head to head comparison in a real life New England snowstorm though (Kona vs Crosstrek)

·
Registered
499 Posts
The main difference of Kona and Crosstrek is Kona is more agile due to better power weight ratio and better accessories, crosstrek have better rear passenger space, softer stable ride and permanent awd. So you can choose easily amont this 2 which is your priority. Actually kona is not really meant to be compared with crosstrek due to size is more comparable to chr, cx3 rather than hrv, x1, gla.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
It's an attractive car. And I've noticed that sometimes lower quality vehicle makers compensate with more features, which can be nice. But I wouldn't trust it as I do a Crosstrek.
I'm with Cutlass on this. I think the Kona is a wannabe and lacks the balls to go where a Crosstrek will and can.

Reactions: Okie Hick

·
Registered
195 Posts
Both my wife and I love our Crosstreks but and the above statement normally is true, but with engine replacement recalls and/or oil consumption issues, I have to reluctantly side with the Hyundai...

...although not having a traverse drive train, IMO it is easier to work on..ish'

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Odd that we've just had two threads pop up here in the general (Crosstrek) discussion area, promoting other brands of car...

All brands have recalls and oil consumption is not the issue it was years ago. Consumer Reports just ranked Subaru the #1 car brand overall, and the Crosstrek was the top of its category by a wide margin.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,087 Posts
My sis's Volvo, which is about 5 years old, had an oil consumption issue. Volvo just rebuilt the engine. My sis in law's Rav4 had one, and Toyota pretended it didn't for 8 years before finally giving her a new engine. This isn't an isolated problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Odd that we've just had two threads pop up here in the general (Crosstrek) discussion area, promoting other brands of car...

All brands have recalls and oil consumption is not the issue it was years ago. Consumer Reports just ranked Subaru the #1 car brand overall, and the Crosstrek was the top of its category by a wide margin.
....feel a little guilty mentioning another car company on a Crosstrek forum, just kind of wish my Crosstrek has a few more features...but I love my Crosstrek and decided even against test driving that "other" car....historically I am a Ford guy, but worked on Subaru's for friends and because I liked working on them and admired their quality and functionality I bought 2, but I have to give credit where credit is due....(unless of course it is a Chevy or Dodge ;) ) the Kona is a sharp vehicle with some amazing features.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
....feel a little guilty mentioning another car company on a Crosstrek forum, just kind of wish my Crosstrek has a few more features...but I love my Crosstrek and decided even against test driving that "other" car....historically I am a Ford guy, but worked on Subaru's for friends and because I liked working on them and admired their quality and functionality I bought 2, but I have to give credit where credit is due....(unless of course it is a Chevy or Dodge ;) ) the Kona is a sharp vehicle with some amazing features.
Our other car is a Hyundai, LOL. Not by choice - we were recently offered a very low mileage newish Elantra by the in-laws, which replaced our ageing Honda Accord, and it's a nice car. Not a Crosstrek but a great second car. Also, Consumer Reports #2 car brand this year was Genesis, Hyundai's luxury brand.

These threads probably belong in the Non-Subaru section...

·
Registered
754 Posts
I do have to admit that I’m attracted to it. But basically because it looks more like a Trek than anything else I’ve seen. That being said, I love my 16 Trek and have no regrets. I’m not parting with it anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dont forget lower resale, the big difference in ground clearance kona lower, the interior is well in my opinion inferior compared to the '18 crosstrek . Hard plastics everywhere and I cannot stand the tacked on hud display. Also not a fan of the signals and headlights in the bumpers one whack there goes your headlight. I wonder if theres a plug in the wheel well to change the konas bulb?
I know not many would do this in their vehicles ( I do carefully) and TFL did a not so favorable test of the outback but at least its trans didn't over heat. I used to be a Hyundai guy my first was a 1985 Pony then we had a baaaaad '11 sonata and my most recent H lemon was a '14 Accent . Hyundai was very good putting every thing under warranty but how I was screwed/brushed off bye the dealer ticked me off I decided after that no more Sorry for the rant lol.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts