Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed that the design of the upper tail light changed a bit from 2014 to 2015?

In 2014, the plastic around the light is clear, which I think looks really sleek.

In 2015, they went to red plastic, which doesn't look as nice (IMO).

It's not as noticeable due to the new spoiler on the 2015 but it has definitely changed. I noticed it more or less right away, because I really liked the clear plastic on the 2014. I love the black spoiler on the 2015, but not the red light.

My questions for you all...
Has anyone else noticed this?
Does it bother you as much as it bothers me?
Anyone feel like looking up the part numbers?
If they're the same size, can they be swapped?
If so, what would that entail?​

EDIT: Clarification... with the addition of the new spoiler on the 2015, it seems that the tail light is built into the spoiler. So I'm assuming that the clear plastic on the 2014 would not match the 2015 in shape, because it's mounted somewhere else. So I think that probably throws any sort of swap out the window. :( So I guess at this point I'm just interested in what people think of the change.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Originally I did not like white or clear taillights, until I bought my XV Hybrid. Now I like them. Go figure.
Anyway, I like the clear/white high mount brake light better. Mine is LED. Is the '15 red light still LED?

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
It looks like on the 2015 Hybrid they added the black spoiler that doesn't overlap like the full spoiler does. Not a fan of that black spoiler but it probably makes it more streamline and perhaps gives you better aerodynamics and thus better mileage. Honestly I prefer the red brake light over the clear. I wonder how this affects those that want to add the full spoiler that overlaps? Interesting observation.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally I did not like white or clear taillights, until I bought my XV Hybrid. Now I like them. Go figure.
Anyway, I like the clear/white high mount brake light better. Mine is LED. Is the '15 red light still LED?
Not surprised you came around on that. I liked the clear look immediately.

I believe it's still LED. The Subaru marketing doesn't differentiate the upper light from the two lower lights... just says "LED taillights." The Cars101 site also refers to the light as LED, including instances where he is just talking about the upper light... statements like "black trailing edge rear spoiler with integrated LED brake lights."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts