·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I have tracked through 2 years of ownership:

Some notes about the values:
  • Less mileage due to the pandemic
  • Less EV driving due to lack of normal commute and drives were longer distances requiring gas
  • Averaged a fuel-up once every 2 months (509 miles per tank average)
  • Max distance between fill-ups was 848.4 miles with 9.021 gallons of fuel (only had 1 fill-up that broke 10 gallons)
  • Averaged 247 miles per month
  • 57 charging events for the car equating to roughly 1,000mi of driving
  • 7 road trips with an average distance of 136 miles with a full charge to start each trip
Maintenance
  • 2 oil changes (I change at 6 month intervals regardless of mileage)
  • 1 tire rotation at 9,300 miles (tires were all wearing evenly based on my measurements)
  • Replaced the cabin air filter, engine air filter still looks clean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very interesting, and thanks for sharing. One clarification, please. Are you saying you got an average of 136 miles on each full charge with your 2019 plug-in hybrid on a road trip? I have a 2020 plug-in hybrid and don't get anywhere near that in my road trips. Was wondering what I could do to replicate your great stats!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice write up. I think the silver bullet here would be how many miles of pure electric cost vs those same miles at 20mpg (assume city stop and go driving).
Looks like you racked up about 1000 pure electric miles over 57 charges. Assuming those are full charges (17 miles per), that 1000 miles cost you 57 x .79 = $45. At 20mpg, those same miles would cost 1000 miles / 20mpg = 50 gallons @ $3/gal or $150. That seems like it would be the low bar for how much you saved over the year.

Does that make sense? Or am I over complicating? Can you simply use your average mpg achieved over the normal gas version mpg?

My driving achieves about 90%+ of pure EV. So far I’ve got about 500 miles total on the car and still have 3/4 of a tank. I’ll be interested in running my numbers after a year and see how it compares!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting, and thanks for sharing. One clarification, please. Are you saying you got an average of 136 miles on each full charge with your 2019 plug-in hybrid on a road trip? I have a 2020 plug-in hybrid and don't get anywhere near that in my road trips. Was wondering what I could do to replicate your great stats!
No, I was simply saying that I had a few road trips where I drove an average of 136 miles and started the trip with a full charge. I would figure out where EV use would be best and use save mode on the highways where the engine is more efficient. The most I've been able to get with pure EV driving is 25.5 miles. This is mostly driving 45mph or less with traffic lights, stop signs, downhill stretches, and climate control turned off. I reset my trip meter so I can see the mileage once the engine turns on to make calculating easier.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice write up. I think the silver bullet here would be how many miles of pure electric cost vs those same miles at 20mpg (assume city stop and go driving).
Looks like you racked up about 1000 pure electric miles over 57 charges. Assuming those are full charges (17 miles per), that 1000 miles cost you 57 x .79 = $45. At 20mpg, those same miles would cost 1000 miles / 20mpg = 50 gallons @ $3/gal or $150. That seems like it would be the low bar for how much you saved over the year.

Does that make sense? Or am I over complicating? Can you simply use your average mpg achieved over the normal gas version mpg?

My driving achieves about 90%+ of pure EV. So far I’ve got about 500 miles total on the car and still have 3/4 of a tank. I’ll be interested in running my numbers after a year and see how it compares!
That makes complete sense. It's certainly a conservative estimate. Saving $105 in a year for driving 1000 EV miles is pretty good (probably about 5 tanks of gas because it's about 10gal per visit to the gas pump and about 50min of time saved). In my mind, the best part is how rare it is that I need to visit a gas station, but I still have the flexibility of driving cross country faster than a BEV, like a Tesla. The longest I went between fill-ups was 138 days (800 total miles before filling up!

If I wanted to track it in more detail, I could record the distance driven before the engine turns on or when I think I have half of the battery left, record the mileage for the half charge when I plug in at home. 17 miles is a good starting point because I don't think I've ever gotten less than that (even in Winter). If I did, it was a rare situation where I probably used the remote start feature in the winter to heat up the car.

As I mentioned in another reply, I was able to get up to 25.5 miles of EV on a single charge. I don't charge outside of my house for the most part. There's a place right up the street from me with Volta chargers and they're free, so I can plug in for 2 hours and get a full charge and save the $0.79 (but is it worth it for 1 mile out and back to sit for 2 hours?). There were also a few times where I would drive to my parents house and get a full charge off of their power. Otherwise, it's just not worth charging at a public spot that charges unless it offsets the cost of metered parking spots because I would pay either way so might as well get some electrons out of it. It would only make sense if gas was over $4/gal to benefit public charging for this car.

I really wish it had a faster onboard charger, like a 6.6kW, to get a full charge in 1 hour. It would benefit greatly given the limited range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's what I have tracked through 2 years of ownership:
View attachment 306731
Some notes about the values:
  • Less mileage due to the pandemic
  • Less EV driving due to lack of normal commute and drives were longer distances requiring gas
  • Averaged a fuel-up once every 2 months (509 miles per tank average)
  • Max distance between fill-ups was 848.4 miles with 9.021 gallons of fuel (only had 1 fill-up that broke 10 gallons)
  • Averaged 247 miles per month
  • 57 charging events for the car equating to roughly 1,000mi of driving
  • 7 road trips with an average distance of 136 miles with a full charge to start each trip
Maintenance
  • 2 oil changes (I change at 6 month intervals regardless of mileage)
  • 1 tire rotation at 9,300 miles (tires were all wearing evenly based on my measurements)
  • Replaced the cabin air filter, engine air filter still looks clean

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had 2 prii for a total of 380000 miles over 14 years. The gas savings was great but you need to add in a couple of line items for true cost / mile.
Charging station.
Additional MSRP
Interest
Insurance.
At your mileage / yr breakeven is a long ways away.
Just completed 5 hours of driving 21 limited (not hybrid)
Tires 36/34 hot , ac on, interstate 95. Lot of cruise control.

40.0 mpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had 2 prii for a total of 380000 miles over 14 years. The gas savings was great but you need to add in a couple of line items for true cost / mile.
Charging station.
Additional MSRP
Interest
Insurance.
At your mileage / yr breakeven is a long ways away.
Just completed 5 hours of driving 21 limited (not hybrid)
Tires 36/34 hot , ac on, interstate 95. Lot of cruise control.
40.0 mpg
I think I mentioned it in another post above, but I have yet to go to a charging station that charges a fee. If I did, I'd track it. Additional MSRP is about $2000 when you take into account the additional features that you'd need to pay for in order to be even with the hybrid (I did the calcs in another thread). No interest because I paid up front in cash. Insurance is cheaper than my previous car by at least $100 per 6-months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh I thought you needed a 220 volt charging station set up in the garage. My mistake, sorry.
Sounds like you have looked at all the angles.
I expected a bigger savings with the hybrid. I saved a bit but it was closer than I thought.
John

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I thought you needed a 220 volt charging station set up in the garage. My mistake, sorry.
Sounds like you have looked at all the angles.
I expected a bigger savings with the hybrid. I saved a bit but it was closer than I thought.
John
Nope, the car comes with a 120V plug for the house (takes 5 hours to get a full charge of the battery). It's a bigger savings if you're driving locally and using electric. My first year numbers are more representative of good savings because I was still commuting to work every day and putting more mileage on the car. I was basically using only electric 5 days per week at that rate. My previous car was between $0.08 and $0.10 per mile whereas the hybrid was getting me $0.04 per mile in the first year.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is awesome. I want one.
Yeah, it's been a great car. To have the ground clearance, off road capability, and smooth local driving is great. Most of my local drives are all electric so even if the tank is getting low, I'm still good to go! Last night I broke the 10,000mi mark on my car going to a friend's house. It's 12mi each way and there are just enough hills that I barely need gas to get home. The engine turned on within 0.1mi of my neighborhood. Once the engine warmed up, it kicked back into EV and was able to run EV mode back to my garage. 24 miles and only 0.3mi was gas, can't beat that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts