Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
The amp is only needed if you want to use a MAP radio. If you grab a PHONE button radio you can directly wire up.
My next question was....... and now I see in the OP that I can answer my own questions........but i was curious

I see a lot of Head Units (same as AU but have Volume and Tune Scroll buttons & knobs swapped LHD RHD variation), from the USA but dont think they would be region compatible. The ones that have PHONE and not MAP OEM from Subaru still have ACP AA MAPS built in. My Current MY17 has GPS MAPS and want the same type. Over here they are quite rare in wrecking yards so far.......... but this is a great project and I really want to keep the factory look.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Protivakid Good news I have secured an MY19 Subaru WRX Head Unit with GPS and ACP AA. Been looking online here for months, and finally a wrecking yard in an eastern state has one. Should arrive this week sometime. I got it for $450 plus $50 delivery and will include the Pigtails, The amp is a seprate situ as he is aware I may need it but my MY17 (August 2016) has a seperate amp so might see first before purchasing it. I may well use your project here but I see your NASIOC version is much more similar to my situation so will check in over there due to Model Year level Similarity.

Nervous but excited.........

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi Protivakid Good news I have secured an MY19 Subaru WRX Head Unit with GPS and ACP AA. Been looking online here for months, and finally a wrecking yard in an eastern state has one. Should arrive this week sometime. I got it for $450 plus $50 delivery and will include the Pigtails, The amp is a seprate situ as he is aware I may need it but my MY17 (August 2016) has a seperate amp so might see first before purchasing it. I may well use your project here but I see your NASIOC version is much more similar to my situation so will check in over there due to Model Year level Similarity.

Nervous but excited.........
I'm not sure about the wiring for the XV in AU, perhaps they are different. The US ones lack most of what is needed so they are a lot more work than the conversion I did on my 2016 WRX. I'd be surprised if once you got in there the NASIOC post was closer than this one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Protivakid is the WiFi built in to these MY19 units? or is it a plug and lead wire with antenna? Im trying to find a comment you made about first boot up and updating and initialising the unit at first run. My current GPS MAP version has the SD card slot without any Wifi on the 2016 - MY17 Xv model.Down the rabit hole this weekend as far as I can see....... thanks for answereing niggling questions. Yes NASIOC post has some similarity to my XV being newer than your 2013 CT hence plugs and wiring may be a simple P&P in some cases? I see the amp being the main rewire effort and now I see I must obtain a newer 2.1A USB from the guy I just bought the unit from.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Protivakid is the WiFi built in to these MY19 units? or is it a plug and lead wire with antenna? Im trying to find a comment you made about first boot up and updating and initialising the unit at first run. My current GPS MAP version has the SD card slot without any Wifi on the 2016 - MY17 Xv model.Down the rabit hole this weekend as far as I can see....... thanks for answereing niggling questions. Yes NASIOC post has some similarity to my XV being newer than your 2013 CT hence plugs and wiring may be a simple P&P in some cases? I see the amp being the main rewire effort and now I see I must obtain a newer 2.1A USB from the guy I just bought the unit from.
The WiFi is built into the radio. No external antenna wire, it's internal. One thing to keep in mind, with the MAP radios you will need to get the VIN of the car the radio came from in order to register and receive future map updates. Also, these radios tend to still be a bit rare and a bit expensive. There have been stories of radio updates once in a while botching the units though those owners are under the dealer's warranty so they will just have their radios swapped out for free. That's not the case for us obviously, so I took a "if it aint broke" approach and don't plan to connect / update my radio unless needed.

Unless your '17 XV has an amplifier (which they didn't come with in the US) then I still think this post will be what you are looking for. Take the radio out and see which connectors are in the back. Some things like usb / sat may plug right in being newer BUT the whole sender / receiver wires from radio to amp concept will still need to be implemented. I don't see a way around doing that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I understand, I did go back to the wreckers and asked for the 2.1A Dual USB hub and Im now getting that sent over as well, IM getting Pigtails and still unclear if my 17 HU with GPS/MAP has an amp I assumed they did here, not sure why I think that, the variations are quite annoying really in regards to different changes and models and Country regions to a small degree, its DIVERSE to coin a phrase.

An update my new MY19 is from an STI has an amp so I have that now so Yes I'll follow the Install here in so far as what you did. Although I have not dismantled my car as yet I still dont know if my 17 GPS/MAP HU has an amp? Where are these installed? the WRX STI have them under the back parcel shelf in the boot / trunk cavity.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Protivakid Curiously what specs are the amp? Id be keen to know assuming its nothing high end like say a KICKER amp or any other notable brand. I cant seem to find the specs certainly not in any Manuals. Anything on the amp itself as yet the amp is still on its way over in the post. MY current MY17 has no amp so I'm adding the amp to the line up as you did under the drivers seat my passenger seat has a KIcker Hideaway Sub already there. Brian over at Autoharness has been very helpfull and looks like I can get most of or all the Harness I need, I decided for the money I may well dissect the manuals and ask for them to be made for me. I will be doing like you did with wire runs from the HU down the Central Gear Shift Console and out under the seat and back again to re connect to the exisitng MY 17 Plugs that feed the speakers (I have 6). Door Circuit radio Cut off should not be too hard. MB Fuse might be above my skill set thought to feed the Amp power.

any way sorry for the continual questions.......

PIcs of the two different Steering wheel Control designs,
MY17 XV on the left and MY19 WRX STI on the right

View attachment 307592 View attachment 307593

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Protivakid Curiously what specs are the amp? Id be keen to know assuming its nothing high end like say a KICKER amp or any other notable brand. I cant seem to find the specs certainly not in any Manuals. Anything on the amp itself as yet the amp is still on its way over in the post. MY current MY17 has no amp so I'm adding the amp to the line up as you did under the drivers seat my passenger seat has a KIcker Hideaway Sub already there. Brian over at Autoharness has been very helpfull and looks like I can get most of or all the Harness I need, I decided for the money I may well dissect the manuals and ask for them to be made for me. I will be doing like you did with wire runs from the HU down the Central Gear Shift Console and out under the seat and back again to re connect to the exisitng MY 17 Plugs that feed the speakers (I have 6). Door Circuit radio Cut off should not be too hard. MB Fuse might be above my skill set thought to feed the Amp power.

any way sorry for the continual questions.......

PIcs of the two different Steering wheel Control designs,
MY17 XV on the left and MY19 WRX STI on the right

View attachment 307592 View attachment 307593
Honestly I have no idea on the amp specs. The fuse inside the under hood fuse box was actually really easy, just a single 14ga wire to the lead and then pop a fuse in for a clean install. You could also tap the battery terminals if wanted and use an in-line fuse, though that won't look as clean.

Was autoharnesses selling you the connectors? If so how much do they run?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Honestly I have no idea on the amp specs. The fuse inside the under hood fuse box was actually really easy, just a single 14ga wire to the lead and then pop a fuse in for a clean install. You could also tap the battery terminals if wanted and use an in-line fuse, though that won't look as clean.

Was autoharnesses selling you the connectors? If so how much do they run?
Well Brian has been Amazing over your way and Im now aware it will be easier for me to a simpler Plug & Play install with the custom Harness I have talked to him about. Im a liittle worried I might Fry something if I do my own Harness pin assignments even though here and on NASIOC are very detailed, Im budgeting over a few PP paymets to him in the next few weeks to offset the Cost Shock. But for me I can then focus on the Amp install. My choice I guess ( so total cost for this project will be around the AU$1000 mark) .These Custom Harnesses are going to be from HU down through Gear shift console and out to under my Driver Seat where I will install amp like you did ( your Passenger seat) and then another one form the Amp back up to existing speaker plug terminal. so Im asking them, to be around the 70 - 80cm length. BUT it will be exy so for around $500 US inc Shipping and one or two other harnesses like rear Camera plug with a custom Yellow RCA (for my Front facing camera Project - Non Subaru camera so its 12v power and not 6V) to share with HU screen via a module and switch/button.

Brian informed me the issue with the Steering wheel controls are because of the

Here is a copy paste from him in an email explaining the issues unless I swap in a WRX STI steering wheel the control switch on the left side of the SW just wont fit ergonomically

Both these cars are pinned the same for the steering wheel controls. Unfortunately, you won't be able to simply switch around wires to fix this. The way this works is that each button has a different resistance and those resistances are connected to the headunit by 3 wires. The 2019 buttons have different resistances. The fix for this is to swap in the new controls into your existing steering wheel. These buttons should be the same shape and the electrical connections will be the same...they should just swap in.

But sadly the control panel is very different design unless a whole wheel swap out..... another $400 - $500 if its intact with Air Bag module. I am looking and waiting on a quote. Whole project then becomes $1500 but too late to turn back now and I MUST HAVE MY Apple Carplay and like you I MUST have the Subaru stock look not these after market units. Did you or someone mention by just reconnecting the existing SW controls that the Volume and seek buttons work but in reverse? What about mic and phone on /off?? are they synced too?? I read this somewhere here or NASIOC? the XV has a list and back button too which are not present in the MY19 WRX wheel.

the two design wheels are very very different see my previous post with attachments

More soon Amp will arrive this week

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well Brian has been Amazing over your way and Im now aware it will be easier for me to a simpler Plug & Play install with the custom Harness I have talked to him about. Im a liittle worried I might Fry something if I do my own Harness pin assignments even though here and on NASIOC are very detailed, Im budgeting over a few PP paymets to him in the next few weeks to offset the Cost Shock. But for me I can then focus on the Amp install. My choice I guess ( so total cost for this project wil lbe arounf the AU$1000 mark) .These Custom Harnesses are going to be from HU down through Gear shift console and out to under my Driver Seat where I will install amp like you did ( your Passenger seat) and then another one form the Amp back up to existing speaker plug terminal. so Im asking them, to be around the 70 - 80cm length. BUT it will be exy so for around $500 US inc Shipping and one or two other harnesses like rear Camera plug with a custom Yellow RCA (for my Front facing camera Project - Non Subaru camera so its 12v power and not 6V) to share with HU screen via a module and switch/button.

Brian informed me the issue with the Steering wheel controls are because of the

Here is a copy paste from him in an email explaining the issues unless I swap in a WRX STI steering wheel the control switch on the left side of the SW just wont fit ergonomically

Both these cars are pinned the same for the steering wheel controls. Unfortunately, you won't be able to simply switch around wires to fix this. The way this works is that each button has a different resistance and those resistances are connected to the headunit by 3 wires. The 2019 buttons have different resistances. The fix for this is to swap in the new controls into your existing steering wheel. These buttons should be the same shape and the electrical connections will be the same...they should just swap in.

But sadly the control panel is very different design unless a whole wheel swap out..... another $400 - $500 if its intact with Air Bag module. I am looking and waiting on a quote. Whole project then becomes $1500 but too late to turn back now and I MUST HAVE MY Apple Carplay and like you I MUST have the Subaru stock look not these after market units. Did you or someone mention by just reconnecting the existing SW controls that the Volume and seek buttons work but in reverse? What about mic and phone on /off?? are they synced too?? I read this somewhere here or NASIOC? the XV has a list and back button too which are not present in the MY19 WRX wheel.

the two design wheels are very very different see my previous post with attachments

More soon Amp will arrive this week
The attachments just bring me to an "admin test area" of the site for some reason. Maybe upload someplace else and share the link?

I still have not swapped my 2013 controls for 2019+ controls though I do have them in my garage. Mostly haven't wanted to remove the airbag. I've also at this point learned where the wrong buttons are so yes I'm able to mute, Vol + Vol+ and answer calls from the wheel haha.

Out of curiosity did you share the write-ups I did with Brian or are these harnesses something he's built before? My harness length was 7ft which gave me just enough slack on each end, I wouldn't suggest going any shorter.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Protivakid, No I mentioned you and NASIOC and here but not linked anything to him. He mentions he's helped a few people though. I get the impression to make what I need to convert from MY19 back to MY17 connections is all good? I have extensively emailed him diagrams and sheets from the manuals and he seems very very experienced. The distance from HU all the way to my under seat Amp location will be the custom runs IM having made up, are you saying you used 7 feet of Wire? Im assuming (Im quoting him for each way, to and from the amp) down to Amp then back to Speaker harness behind MY19 HU I'll need about 90cm for one way. But I have not confirmed as yet as I want to get a dress makers measuring tape and check first before he makes them up.

He said the expense is due to the time, effort and complexity of the Harness and Looms. You must be a freakin patient guy as Im worried this might be above my skill set, although I did manage to install folding mirrors with SVC and Puddle Lights and an Auto Mirror Folder on my MY17 XV in 2019 - 2020. So Im proud of that but this, Im prepared to spend the $$$ and then forget what it cost once its all working and Im moving on from it. This custom Harness Im getting made up, I assume they will make these for anyone that does not want to go down your path of DIY if the money is'nt a problem. If I was more confident I'd do your DIY approach but it seems daunting.

The steering wheel issue is going to bug me until I can sort a new wheel though. but if I can get basics as you mention I'll be happy for a while and the SW will need to be a separate project when the right wheel comes along for the right price or another option presents like those after market kits for Subaru Steering wheels.

UPDATE I got a quote for $550 for a MY19 WRX without the AB module from a wrecker in an eastern state, Im assuming the AB module can be put over into this from mine as the issue with the steering wheels is that they are nothing alike in ergonomics and or Aesthetic design and the Audio/Phone switches/toggles JUST wont fit, I am now considering on getting the Audio/Phone switch/toggle only from somewhere and doing some surgery on it and fitting the electronics in behind the MY17 Stock one in my current set up which would mean a bit of slice and dice of the MY19. I can get the trashed AB Wheel from the same wreck as my MY19 HU for $330 but the Front horn fascia is trashed due to AB exploding, and the design is all different. My attached pic above are as you said not linked I'll go in when I get home to change this.

How did you mount your Amp? did you bolt anything into the floor pan under your seat?? any issues there? no Petrol lines or important things to watch for when drilling holes?? As I see you mounted it up on its normal side without that Rear Parcel Shelf Bracket? I guess its a silly idea to mount the amp in behind the HU? or in under the Glove Box?

Here are the Steering wheels from the XV and WRX there is a big difference in Design wont really interchange and the Long tall button over to the right of the vol toggle on the XV is kind of only for rare times as I have never used it since I stopped using direct USB to access my music since going to Apple Music via BT and would be rendered useless if the WRX one is to go by as it does not have it. The WRX SW is waaay cooler though I do like the leather trim and the Flat bottom design.

UPDATE Im hoping that the difference in MY13 and MY17 Steering wheels and the similar toggle design layout when all is said and done just happens to work?? After extensive google research on the different SW Audio controls over the MY's they are quite diiderent. I dont really like the idea of another $500 ish to get the steering wheel changed over to a WRX STI type. I'll get my amp delivered Tuesday along with 2.1A USB upgrade from the same wreck to allow iPhone and connection to ACP HU. So I'll take the plunge soon.

XV MY17
Light Car Steering part Automotive design Vehicle

WRX MY19
Car Vehicle Wheel Speedometer Automotive tire

WRX MY18 with those 2 extra controls the XV has
Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire Hubcap

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Forester XT Touring with nav and Harmon Kardon there is an amp under the drivers seat the 2020 sti unit with navigation plus in except the XM, Sat Nave antennas rear view camera and usb plug the radio powers on and work perfectly i need to run the wire to the door switch so it shuts off and the steering wheel controls need the newer style switch. All things im confident i can tackle

Heres my problem I have no sound is there a signal wire to power on the amp that needs to be swapped

Also is there a diagram of the wiring on the 2020 modle available like the 2015 modle radio i cant find it anywhere

21 - 33 of 33 Posts