Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Got the grille on my 2021 blacked out with a black emblem. Originally I wrapped the winglets but there were a few areas that were a bit rough so I ended up using plastidip.
Where did you get the emblem?

I will be taking mine off this weekend. If they look fine without it, I see no need to plasti-dip and replace. But I'll probably do it anyways.

Someone said they were able to remove them without removing the grille, care to show how? I have a 2021 with the two piece winglets, and I hate the silver lol.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 6 spd
18 Posts

I will be taking mine off this weekend. If they look fine without it, I see no need to plasti-dip and replace. But I'll probably do it anyways.

Someone said they were able to remove them without removing the grille, care to show how? I have a 2021 with the two piece winglets, and I hate the silver lol.
I purchased my front and rear subaru emblems (black/orange) on ebay as well as the blacked out letter badges for rear gate

·
Registered
446 Posts
I purchased my front and rear subaru emblems (black/orange) on ebay as well as the blacked out letter badges for rear gate
Yea, I have seen a bunch, but I really like that one with a shiny black bezel, grey background, and black stars. Wondering if they bought it and where I can get that specific one or if maybe they painted the bezel and just got the black emblem.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
14 Posts
I ended up going the vinyl route. It's held up pretty well so far! Decals were from Orsini Vinyl and Design (online shop) and the orange vinyl I used to cover the chrome was VViViD XPO found on amazon. (Sorry for the dirty grill, it needs a bath.)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just got done removing my grille. What a PITA that was. Still, I will get better results this way, because I suck with vinyls. I was able to get the grille off without removing the bumper or anything, but I did have to remove the hood latch to get my arm in there. There are some Philips head screws along the bottom and side section you have to remove, then the rest are clips. The clips are hard to get to, and I can see why people would think removing the whole bumper would make it easier, but it can be done without all the extra work. As for the grille itself, definitely awkward and pretty tough to unclip everything. There are 3 parts, the surrounding trim around the whole grille - which utilizes all clips, the back portion of the grille and of course, the winglets. There are two small Philips head screws holding the winglets on, and you cannot remove them without removing the outer portion of the grille first. Then it's just clips and prying, same as the rest of it was. Pretty straight forward honestly. I thought about taking pics and doing a whole tutorial on it, but you can literally look at it and just start with the screws first, then start prying clips out. I will post a finished result though. Since I didn't get off work until 4, it's going to take a couple coats and light sanding then have to dry overnight.

I would still 100% prefer a mesh grille. I tried to contact grillcraft a week ago and still no response. Not surprised. I guess they don't care about us CT owners :(

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
14 Posts
I wanted to go that way and take it apart, but I noticed a lot of comments on how much of a pain it is to remove (I was also working on gravel and didn't want to hunt for screws if I dropped one... That aways seems to happen lol). It was easier and took less time for me to make a template and tuck the ends of the vinyl around my winglets.
I'd love to see your work when you're done!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I posted my pics in my journal, but here is the finished result.

Also, you won't get a regular screw driver in there. You will need a right angle driver. If you are worried about spending money on tools, Harbor Freight has them for $3.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I got the emblems from Jdmfv | Etsy

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got the emblems from Jdmfv | Etsy
Thank you. I contacted them with a custom design. Hopefully they can create my dreams, because it truly is a unique design I am looking for. Then I could take the chrome and paint it too for a ZERO chrome Crosstrek. oh... they haven't even messaged me back yet and I am already excited at the thought of no chrome ;)

I can't share my ideas until it's complete tho... It's not unique if everyone has it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got the grille on my 2021 blacked out with a black emblem. Originally I wrapped the winglets but there were a few areas that were a bit rough so I ended up using plastidip.
Can you elaborate on the winglet removal? I saw the 1 screw and multiple clips. Is that all ? And is there a specific motion to removing them?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
14 Posts
Can you elaborate on the winglet removal? I saw the 1 screw and multiple clips. Is that all ? And is there a specific motion to removing them?
Seconded! I just tried to remove and could not figure it out. I removed the one small black screw (per winglet) and tried every which way to pinch and push on the clips but it was not moving.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek
16 Posts
I just pulled mine to wrap them (2018) and the "push them to the outside" method worked just fine. Just need to be careful pulling them out. I found a little heat to them made it easier. I'll post some finished pics soon.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts