Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 6 spd
18 Posts
I have a 21 crosstrek premium and I am looking to remove the silver grill winglets and wrap them in vinyl. It appears to be a similar process to remove them as described above for the 18-20’s even though it’s a different style grill/winglet. Can anybody with a bit more knowledge confirm or deny this ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well done. This is one thing I’m glad changed on my 2021 sport. NO. MORE. CHROME. It’s as if subaru is trying to punish you for not buying the “other” grill.

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
202 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! I used PlastiDip on my winglets. I had to do them twice because I did not spray around the corners and it started peeling.

Reactions: Sport21

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I dove into take the grill winglets off of my 2021 premiums yesterday. Seems to be a bit more involved than the previous design. I ended up having to remove the entire grill then remove the trim from the grill to get the silver winglets off. Kind of a pain but it looks much better now with no silver.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium
2 Posts
Thanks for all the tips guys. I am looking forward to trying it on my 18 trek. What recommendations do you all have for a vinyl to cover the winglets?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for all the tips guys. I am looking forward to trying it on my 18 trek. What recommendations do you all have for a vinyl to cover the winglets?

Thanks!
I originally tried the vinyl route and was using 3M 2080 matte black vinyl. The shape of the 2021 winglets were a Pain to try and cover. After getting both wrapped I didn’t like it so i ditched the vinyl and bought plastidip. Worked so much better and was a lot easier to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I dove into take the grill winglets off of my 2021 premiums yesterday. Seems to be a bit more involved than the previous design. I ended up having to remove the entire grill then remove the trim from the grill to get the silver winglets off. Kind of a pain but it looks much better now with no silver. View attachment 301451 View attachment 301452 View attachment 301453
Looks great! Any tips or tricks for removing them on the 2021? I plan on taking mine off for wrapping this weekend.

·
Registered
The avalanche has already started.
152 Posts
Thanks for the info! Much like @Adk77XV and others, I'm sure, I've got a 2021 model, and the Limited has the bifurcated winglet design, with a centerline.

I'm looking into methods of adding a bit of color accent to the grill using just the outer areas of the winglets and leaving the centerline chrome for some sparkle. :) Kinda like these mock-ups:

@Adk77XV - can you speak to how the winglets are, as a unit? Are they a single molded piece? Can the centerline part be removed for easy wrapping of the outer areas, and then the centerline portion be put back in?

Thanks for any info!

[edit] The orange in the badge is my orange baseball cap being reflected, when I was kneeling down to take the picture :D [/edit]

Reactions: Sport21

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
47 Posts
The wingless come off as a separate piece and the center stays if that makes sense. I was able to remove the wings without removing the entire grill although that might of been easier and wrapped the piece remaining in the center in gold vinyl I purchased at Michael's. You can see how the outside edge of the wing is behind part of the outer grill. I was able to just loosen the outside edge enough to get the wing piece out from behind it. 1 screw in the wing, and several clips and 1 screw for the grill on each side. Wish I had taken pics as I was doing it. Turned out OK l just hope the vinyl last.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
The wingless come off as a separate piece and the center stays if that makes sense. I was able to remove the wings without removing the entire grill although that might of been easier and wrapped the piece remaining in the center in gold vinyl I purchased at Michael's. You can see how the outside edge of the wing is behind part of the outer grill. I was able to just loosen the outside edge enough to get the wing piece out from behind it. 1 screw in the wing, and several clips and 1 screw for the grill on each side. Wish I had taken pics as I was doing it. Turned out OK l just hope the vinyl last.
Looks great!!!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
47 Posts
It took more work than I thought but I think it was worth it. It ended up matching the badge overlays and gold sport logo pretty well. The ladies working at Michael's probably think I am nuts walking through the store with the overlays trying to match the gold color. The sheet of gold vinyl only cost like $4, just hope it last.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thank you VERY much for the detailed info! Unfortunately, I don’t have a garage so I’m relegated to days when I can work outside. And it has been downright frigid and rainy the past day and a half… Definitely looking forward to working on this!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Got the grille on my 2021 blacked out with a black emblem. Originally I wrapped the winglets but there were a few areas that were a bit rough so I ended up using plastidip.
Looks great! Question: Lithia? Are you in Ashland? :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm about 3hrs south. ;)
Nice :) I grew up in Yreka and Mt Shasta, before moving up to Medford and Kalamity Fal—sorry, Klamath Falls. Parents are still in Medford, and most of the rest of the family are spread down the I-5 corridor from Yreka to Redding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sorry for not answering, I have been busy lately. The winglets on the 21 are a single piece on each side (the silver pieces on each side are removable from rest of grill) . I’m not very mechanically inclined with vehicles and I was able to pull it off with a little help from a friend with body work experience. I wasn’t sure how to release the clips to get the grill out and he assisted there. I couldn’t see a way to do it without removing them. The winglets are hard as heck to wrap with vinyl because of all the angles and edges on them. I tried twice and hated how it looked and it was not clean at all. The spray on rubber coating was simple and came out great.

Thanks for the info! Much like @Adk77XV and others, I'm sure, I've got a 2021 model, and the Limited has the bifurcated winglet design, with a centerline.

I'm looking into methods of adding a bit of color accent to the grill using just the outer areas of the winglets and leaving the centerline chrome for some sparkle. :) Kinda like these mock-ups:

@Adk77XV - can you speak to how the winglets are, as a unit? Are they a single molded piece? Can the centerline part be removed for easy wrapping of the outer areas, and then the centerline portion be put back in?

Thanks for any info!

[edit] The orange in the badge is my orange baseball cap being reflected, when I was kneeling down to take the picture :D [/edit]

·
Registered
18 Posts
sorry I didn’t get back to you in time. Yours came out great! Plastidip is definitely the way IMO.

Got the grille on my 2021 blacked out with a black emblem. Originally I wrapped the winglets but there were a few areas that were a bit rough so I ended up using plastidip.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
14 Posts
I'm wanting to do something similar, but it's so hard to find any accessories for the 2021's right now. How is the craft store vinyl holding up so far?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts