Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I thought I'd show you how I removed the winglets on the grill so you may either paint or wrap them for your 2018 Crosstrek. I read on the forum people doing it already, just thought I'd make it even easier with pictures to prevent breaking the clips. This was super easy and only took maybe a total of 5-10 min to remove and reinstall.

1. pop open the hood and remove the push clips holding the plastic cover in place. This allows you to see the backing of each clip holding the winglets in.
push clips red.jpg

2. After removing the cover, you'll need to locate the three clips behind the grill for each winglet. You will unclip the inner and center clip. To remove the outer clip, gently pull the winglet towards the center while guiding the latch of the clip with your finger. I recommend moving slowly and never move the winglet by pulling on the clips alone, always a hand on the front and back.
Clips labeled.jpg

3. After sliding out the winglet towards the center, that baby will smoothly come right out. Now, go ahead and paint or wrap away!
oem2.jpeg.jpg
wrapped2.jpeg.jpg

4. Now that it's all prepped and ready to slide back in. Be super dooper careful not to scratch or peel that outer coat off. So again, move very careful and don't just jam it back in. I found by sliding in the winglet worked the best. Starting from the outer clip, tuck it into the front of the grill and push the latch of the clip through the entry slot.
outer clip winglet2 .jpeg.jpg

5. Slowly, start sliding in until you can push the middle clip in through the slot. Sliding a bit more, the inner clip will enter the slot. Here comes the final touch. thee the latches aren't actually attached, so you have to slide them back towards the center as you push the latches around the backing. Remember, one hand always on the front of the winglet and one on the clips. Now if you did break a clip during this part, I recommend some gorilla glue or other bonding agent to re-attach the clip, not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nice write-up and pictures help a lot. Looks great - Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was like an act of God getting these out. broke on clip and two (one each side) black plastic pieces on the grill that the clips grab onto. not sure how to fix that.

Doesn't seem to matter though, as nothing I do can get these back on. I start at the outside, slip clip into channel, and then try to slide more to the outside, but the thing won't budge any further. At this point not sure how I even got these off. Some miracle move to twist and pull. At my wits end after 60 minutes of trying.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this - following your guide - and the only thing I'd add is this... All you need to do is move each winglet about 1/4" to 1/2" towards the outside, away from the center Subaru emblem, to get the first 2 clips out. I tapped mine, gently, with a tool - but I was super careful so that I didn't damage or crack the corner of the piece near the center where I was tapping. This gentle tapping moved the winglet away from the center, and made it clear the clips on the grill. Once cleared, it was simple to pull out the winglet clips in the order you mentioned

Sorry if this didn't make any sense, but the big take away from my experience is that you need to slide them away from the grill clips to release them, there's no way to just pull them straight out without breaking something. For some reason when I was trying I thought I could get the winglet clip out from under the grill clip and that didn't work. It needed to slide away from it.

Oh, and this is for a US 2019 Limited.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red Pearl
71 Posts
Used this guide today!

Jazzy's extra tips helped alot to get the inner and the middle clip out. Then the whole piece slides out of the outer spot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMG_6249.jpg

I did this successfully along with the chrome emblem oval!

Looking neat! As if it was painted!

When applying a heat gun to the emblem, make sure you stick your hand inside and push out on those two round tabs that hold it in.
Stick a plastic spudger or squeegee or whatever and pry it off. It uses 3m tape.

The chrome oval separates easily once you peel back some of the 3m tape over both of them.

Wrapping is incredibly easy.

You will need to lay more 3m tape on top of the existing one to make it fit right. Why? the original one wasnt as sticky anymore and wouldnt hold.

This mod cost about $10 for the vinyl, which i only used like 10% of and $5 for more 3m tape. Total is $15.

·
Registered
50 Posts

When applying a heat gun to the emblem, make sure you stick your hand inside and push out on those two round tabs that hold it in.
Stick a plastic spudger or squeegee or whatever and pry it off. It uses 3m tape.

The chrome oval separates easily once you peel back some of the 3m tape over both of them.

You will need to lay more 3m tape on top of the existing one to make it fit right. Why? the original one wasnt as sticky anymore and wouldnt hold.

This mod cost about $10 for the vinyl, which i only used like 10% of and $5 for more 3m tape. Total is $15.
Does the Emblem come apart similarly to the way Ford emblems do so you can paint the different sections with contrasting colors?

20161114_144234.jpg
unnamed-001.jpg
unnamed (2) (1).jpg

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I think it would be very difficult (to impossible) to paint the subaru emblem as it is a smooth surface, unlike the Ford emblem you are showing which has raised lettering. How old is that ford emblem ?

You can do a search on etsy.com for vinyl overlays or make your own.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think it would be very difficult (to impossible) to paint the subaru emblem as it is a smooth surface, unlike the Ford emblem you are showing which has raised lettering. How old is that ford emblem ?

You can do a search on etsy.com for vinyl overlays or make your own.
The Subaru Emblem kinda looks like it's put together with Multiple layers Like the Ford Emblems are...I'll admit I haven't done a close inspection on it only because it's Freezing here. My Wife wants something done like I did to my 2017 Truck's Emblems.

IMG_5186-001.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'll be darned. Looks great. Share if you get this figured out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe they are the same emblem size as the 17+ WRXs.

Take a look at this video.

They do come apart, you can actually sand off the blue holographic paint, and repaint it. With the starts staying in tacts (chrome).

The oval separates from the emblem. and that has the round pegs. not the inside subie emblem itself..

·
Registered
50 Posts
They do come apart, you can actually sand off the blue holographic paint, and repaint it. With the starts staying in tacts (chrome).

The oval separates from the emblem. and that has the round pegs. not the inside subie emblem itself..
I took a good look at my Wife's Emblems yesterday...Bummed...The Emblem is not Multi-Layered but Molded as others have stated here.

I wanted to be able to paint the Emblem Stars & Outer Trim (Both Chrome) with the same color paint then background with a different color.

That video was hard to watch & follow but it had some valuable information. He should have edited about 90% out...IMO!...Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 284820

How hard was it to wrap the winglet and the chrome? i just ordered some gloss black vinyl wrap to these exact mod.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
35 Posts
This was so difficult to remove. Finally got it after a few broken clips. Wrapped in gloss black and it looks great. Wrapping the winglets was the easiest part.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
9 Posts
Hey guys, I thought I'd show you how I removed the winglets on the grill so you may either paint or wrap them for your 2018 Crosstrek. I read on the forum people doing it already, just thought I'd make it even easier with pictures to prevent breaking the clips. This was super easy and only took maybe a total of 5-10 min to remove and reinstall.

1. pop open the hood and remove the push clips holding the plastic cover in place. This allows you to see the backing of each clip holding the winglets in.
View attachment 282258

2. After removing the cover, you'll need to locate the three clips behind the grill for each winglet. You will unclip the inner and center clip. To remove the outer clip, gently pull the winglet towards the center while guiding the latch of the clip with your finger. I recommend moving slowly and never move the winglet by pulling on the clips alone, always a hand on the front and back.
View attachment 282260

3. After sliding out the winglet towards the center, that baby will smoothly come right out. Now, go ahead and paint or wrap away!
View attachment 282262
View attachment 282264

4. Now that it's all prepped and ready to slide back in. Be super dooper careful not to scratch or peel that outer coat off. So again, move very careful and don't just jam it back in. I found by sliding in the winglet worked the best. Starting from the outer clip, tuck it into the front of the grill and push the latch of the clip through the entry slot.
View attachment 282266

5. Slowly, start sliding in until you can push the middle clip in through the slot. Sliding a bit more, the inner clip will enter the slot. Here comes the final touch. thee the latches aren't actually attached, so you have to slide them back towards the center as you push the latches around the backing. Remember, one hand always on the front of the winglet and one on the clips. Now if you did break a clip during this part, I recommend some gorilla glue or other bonding agent to re-attach the clip, not a big deal.
Thanks to your tutorial I was able to do a quick carbon fiber wrap on the winglets. I was able to complete the job in under an hour with no clip breakage. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts