Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys prefer to jack up your car and put jack stands below it?

Is the entire weight of the car on the 4 jack stands supposed to be only on the pinch welds directly (the thin, long fin that is running along the side of the car from front to rear)? I read the manual and know the 4 jack points, but the jack points are freaking small. If I jack it there, I won't be able to put the jack stand between those two notches. What is you guys' methods?

Where is the center lift points (rear and front) for you guys on your 2020 Crosstreks? The rear is the rear differential I guess but that's still a bit controversial. For the front, I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
65 Posts
How do you guys prefer to jack up your car and put jack stands below it?

Is the entire weight of the car on the 4 jack stands supposed to be only on the pinch welds directly (the thin, long fin that is running along the side of the car from front to rear)? I read the manual and know the 4 jack points, but the jack points are freaking small. If I jack it there, I won't be able to put the jack stand between those two notches. What is you guys' methods?

Where is the center lift points (rear and front) for you guys on your 2020 Crosstreks? The rear is the rear differential I guess but that's still a bit controversial. For the front, I'm not 100% sure.
I’m pretty sure the front has a frame bar/cross member support you can put a jack under to lift the whole front end. I don’t have access to the technical manual, but I know almost all Subaru’s have it. My 2011 WRX, 2012 STI, 2015 BRZ and my mom’s 2017 Outback all have it.

When I jack up my cars, I jack the front up by the frame/cross member and the back by the rear diff, and lower the car onto jack stands which rest on the pinch welds.

Edit: See this post: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Jack Points Other than the...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium Black • CVT
76 Posts
The standard Subaru jack is useful to learn how this works.

The factory jack's head has a slot for the pinch weld which enables positioning the jack under the reinforced lifting points. The pinch weld also prevents lateral movement of the jack but does not bear the weight of the vehicle.

Use a slotted jack pad with a floor jack or jack stands to properly support the weight.

See the Service Manual's General Information Section for more information.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’m pretty sure the front has a frame bar/cross member support you can put a jack under to lift the whole front end. I don’t have access to the technical manual, but I know almost all Subaru’s have it. My 2011 WRX, 2012 STI, 2015 BRZ and my mom’s 2017 Outback all have it.

When I jack up my cars, I jack the front up by the frame/cross member and the back by the rear diff, and lower the car onto jack stands which rest on the pinch welds.

Edit: See this post: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Jack Points Other than the...

Amazon. $9.49.

2 Pack Jack Pad Adapter Rubber Jack Pads Slotted Frame for Jack Stand General-Purpose Rubber

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I use a floor rack with a slotted rubber pad on the pinch weld but here’s the actual Subaru placements to jack the entire front or back at a time, courtesy of someone on the forum way back on 16 Oct, 2017.

This was for MY18 but there’s no difference between MY13-21.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
234 Posts
I use a floor rack with a slotted rubber pad on the pinch weld but here’s the actual Subaru placements to jack the entire front or back at a time, courtesy of someone one thing forum on 16 Oct 2017.

View attachment 300336
Yes, those are the areas I have used on my Subaru's in the past.
One caveat, I have always used a wooden block under the diff.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wood block rear diff and front crossmember.

Why jack it up more than 2 times?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
234 Posts
Wood block rear diff and front crossmember.

Why jack it up more than 2 times?
Sorry, I poorly worded that. I meant to say that I used a wooden block between the trolley jack and the rear differential to protect the diff housing when jacking.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
65 Posts
Sorry, I poorly worded that. I meant to say that I used a wooden block between the trolley jack and the rear differential to protect the diff housing when jacking.
I do this too. It minimizes any scuff marks it could get from the metal-to-metal contact of the Jack. I also find it helps distribute the force along the entire area instead of just where the jack is. It’s a good practice.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
46 Posts
I use a floor rack with a slotted rubber pad on the pinch weld but here’s the actual Subaru placements to jack the entire front or back at a time, courtesy of someone on the forum way back on 16 Oct, 2017.

This was for MY18 but there’s no difference between MY13-21.

View attachment 300336

Like this...
I think I need a different jack though... reached the limit of mine before the wheels came off the ground :LOL:

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
46 Posts
Being an engineer... I have read the owners manual :LOL:

This struck me as really funny...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’ll say this- I’m a member of a number of car forums. The general consensus the intelligent communities have come to is to tell someone “if you have to ask how to jack up the vehicle, you don’t possess enough knowledge to do the reason You’re jacking it up in the first place.”

This at first May sound harsh, but in fact it is sound, SAFE advice. “Do not give fire to an ape, for he will burn himself and others.”

jacking up a car should be done by someone experienced enough to not need to ask this question. So, my advice is to find a qualified person to assist with this task, they in turn, can show you how to do it, correctly, and above all else- SAFELY.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
234 Posts
I’ll say this- I’m a member of a number of car forums. The general consensus the intelligent communities have come to is to tell someone “if you have to ask how to jack up the vehicle, you don’t possess enough knowledge to do the reason You’re jacking it up in the first place.”

This at first May sound harsh, but in fact it is sound, SAFE advice. “Do not give fire to an ape, for he will burn himself and others.”

jacking up a car should be done by someone experienced enough to not need to ask this question. So, my advice is to find a qualified person to assist with this task, they in turn, can show you how to do it, correctly, and above all else- SAFELY.
PY:
Although I cannot argue against the general consensus you posit; everyone has to start somewhere and I admire their ambition to do the most on their cars, themselves, that they can. A lot of people only have to get their hands a little dirty before they have that 'aha' moment- either for, or against, working on their cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with you in general... except that people like myself may just want to be 100% sure of using the best available spot for doing a task like using a floor jack. Sometimes things that look obvious to a general approach are not quite what they seem. With a fount of knowledge on a forum like this I would rather ask and have things confirmed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts