Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The backup camera is very difficult to keep clear. When it rains (which is almost daily here) the camera lens gets obscured with water. Then once the water dries the lens is filthy which makes the image cloudy.

I tried waxing the lens but that didn't last. The problem seems to be that the lens isn't recessed enough.

Any suggestions on keeping the lens clean?

Mode of transport Road Lane Vehicle Technology

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This is an answer I want to see as well. Annoying little thing

·
Registered
954 Posts
I use Lens wipes Cleaner (packets) from the optics center...Works well and drys fast.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It’s even worse in the winter road slop...being where it is it will always get grimed up from the wet road crap that swirls around back there...the best quick cleaner there is is to lick your thumb and wipe it over the camera lens every time you stop...

·
Registered
161 Posts
The problem with Rain-x is that it uses a silane chemistry to make a covalent bond with glass, but the backup camera cover seems to be plastic. Rain-x does have a product designed for thermoplastics, but without any chemical handles on the plastic to modify with a hydrophobic group the coating never lasts long in my experience. Periodically wiping the lens clean might be the only real solution.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You should also check for ice or snow on the rear bumper sensors. First time one of mine iced up I got a big red block in the viewscreen and the warning buzzer going off when I put it in reverse. There was nothing behind me so for a few minutes I was thinking it was time for the first visit to the dealer for a problem! Lol! It's happened a couple of times since as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The problem is the boxy shape of the rear of the car which causes road splatter to drawn up over the entire back end of the car. There is nothing you can do to tp prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should also check for ice or snow on the rear bumper sensors. First time one of mine iced up I got a big red block in the viewscreen and the warning buzzer going off when I put it in reverse.
Never would had occurred to me....thanks.

About a month ago, it was raining, put car into reverse to back out of a parking spot, and it looked like rear of car was on FLAMES! It wasn’t. Apparently funky reflection of other headlights (?) on water drips picked up by camera......

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have this same problem but it’s the daily dirt road drives. Don’t have a solution other than regular wiping it off as I go to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.