Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
My "mise en place" for the chefs here:

I hooked up the Stanley powerstation to a grounding point on the other side of the car so there were fewer cables to deal with around the battery. Then unbolted everything before hooking up the positive lead and removing it and the negative lead from the old battery (less chance of knocking the clip off and de-energizing the car).

It was a perfect fit, even the battery insulation cover fit perfectly and snugly. I've had problems with that before when changing battery brands. And it LOOKS prettier than the OEM battery:

The entire process took maybe 20mins, and no presets lost, etc. The first time I checked the voltage at the terminals, after installing, it was 12.75v and fluctuated between that and 12.68v, depending on what was on in the car. I'll do some more tests this morning, including with the battery disconnected, to get a sense of how much drain there was overnight. Hopefully, that will get topped up today on the short commute and from the solar panel with the car parked in the sun (albeit winter solstice level sun).

By then it was time to walk to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner... 😸

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
This morning it was 12.57v while hooked up to the car. The lowest reading was 12.40v with the accessory setting on (so I could compare to the cig port adaptor that shows the voltage).
I disconnected the battery and left it for half an hour to settle and then it was 12.65v. I don't know how much higher it would have got to if I had left it longer.

All of that was with the parking cam on all night. I'll do similar tests when it comes back from its outing today...

·
Registered
410 Posts
This morning it was 12.57v while hooked up to the car. The lowest reading was 12.40v with the accessory setting on (so I could compare to the cig port adaptor that shows the voltage).
I disconnected the battery and left it for half an hour to settle and then it was 12.65v. I don't know how much higher it would have got to if I had left it longer.
Do you notice faster starts?

I feel like my car takes about one turn of the starter too long to start up when cold, and I wonder if a more powerful battery would start it faster.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Do you notice faster starts?

I feel like my car takes about one turn of the starter too long to start up when cold, and I wonder if a more powerful battery would start it faster.
Sadly, OAK said she didn't notice anything different this morning. With twice the CCA (probably more, since the old battery was the OEM from more than two years ago) I was hoping for a more dramatic reaction... c'est la vie...

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Woohoo! After being disconnected from the car this afternoon, the battery was 12.75v so higher than after I first installed it and tested stuff (with the car on, doors open, lights on for a while, etc.)

That's also after a short commute yesterday and another short trip to brunch today. AND the dash cam has been in parking mode for two days.

So, it bodes well!

However, THIS idiot with a wrench forgot to switch the Stanley Powerstation to jumper mode, after hooking it up to the leads and before disconnecting the battery. Too many mimosas at brunch probably (OAK was driving). So, after all the trouble I went to when changing the battery, I'll now find out what happens when you disconnect the battery. OAK will too - it has been nice knowing you guys...

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,919 Posts
Good to hear it is working for you. Re the faster starter (prev post), unless the old battery was really low, you shouldn't see a diff. This is a small 4 cyl engine, and will draw only so much power to turn it over at the set starter speed.

Besides having more capacity, the Odysseys charge a lot faster, so will be better with short trips.

And good luck with your ECU relearning... haha.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I may have dodged that bullet! I left the battery disconnected for about an hour to settle (with the car on the jumper) and it was still at 12.75v. Then I connected everything back up, expecting the worst. It was totally normal, all the radio presets were intact and it remembered the Wi-Fi settings and the pairing for my phone. OAK just left to go visit her parents and while driving said that the car seems normal (I confessed to possibly having reset everything).

It was only disconnected for 20-30secs when I had that Oh %@#$ moment and flipped the powerstation into jumper mode.

I have NEVER seen this little guy read so high with ACC on! Lately, it's usually 11.9 or 12.0, maybe 12.1 after a long drive:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
So far, not so good.

The car wasn't driven yesterday (Sunday) until the evening (with lights on, etc.) and had been parked underground since Saturday, so no solar charging. This morning it was 11.90v at the battery with nothing on in the car.

Next step will be to do some tests with a Watt meter to see if I can find out what's draining the battery. I also wonder if the charging voltage is high enough for an AGM...

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
That's strange. A battery can't lose power like that unless there is some kind of drain going when not being driven. 11.9 is pretty low when nothing is turned on (steady state).

What is your voltage when driving? Should be 14.4 when full charge is happening. Odysseys will charge up pretty fast with that voltage.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
That's strange. A battery can't lose power like that unless there is some kind of drain going when not being driven. 11.9 is pretty low when nothing is turned on (steady state).

What is your voltage when driving? Should be 14.4 when full charge is happening. Odysseys will charge up pretty fast with that voltage.
Yes, 14.3 or 14.4 when driving but I have seen lower, which I attribute to the eco-charging.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I would look for a parasitic drain, some light left on, door ajar, FOB too close, wifi or bluetooth trying to connect, etc.

My Crosstrek is driven very, very infrequently these days (haven't filled up with gas since Sept). And most of my trips are very short, just a 1 km jaunt to my airport. Yet I still haven't had to give the OEM battery an extra offline charge this winter (I did last winter).

Since we are talking about it now, just checked it now in the garage, and it is at 12.2V (60%). Can't remember exactly how long since the last drive, but at least 2 weeks.

Has to be something wrong with yours. It doesn't make sense that it would drain that much battery (and such a large one) in such a short time.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I would look for a parasitic drain, some light left on, door ajar, FOB too close, wifi or bluetooth trying to connect, etc.

My Crosstrek is driven very, very infrequently these days (haven't filled up with gas since Sept). And most of my trips are very short, just a 1 km jaunt to my airport. Yet I still haven't had to give the OEM battery an extra offline charge this winter (I did last winter).

Since we are talking about it now, just checked it now in the garage, and it is at 12.2V (60%). Can't remember exactly how long since the last drive, but at least 2 weeks.

Has to be something wrong with yours. It doesn't make sense that it would drain that much battery (and such a large one) in such a short time.
I agree. I find it hard to believe it's the dash cam but that's the only thing I've changed recently, and the only change was to plug it in, no new wiring. I'll do some tests with a Watt meter when I have custody of the Crosstrek for enough time...

Edit: Luck you with the fill ups (or lack thereof). Now you'll have to worry about driving it enough before the gas goes off... 😸

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well, if you have a dash cam, yes, that would do it. They can take a lot of juice, just being plugged in, not even recording.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Well, if you have a dash cam, yes, that would do it. They can take a lot of juice, just being plugged in, not even recording.
Yeah, and this one is uploading video over Wi-Fi, and because we're parked in a garage under the condo building there are always people and cars coming and going.

If it's just not possible then I will be very disappointed. However, I don't regret getting OAK an 850 CCA battery for when we're up in the snow... 😸

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yeah, and this one is uploading video over Wi-Fi, and because we're parked in a garage under the condo building there are always people and cars coming and going.

If it's just not possible then I will be very disappointed. However, I don't regret getting OAK an 850 CCA battery for when we're up in the snow... 😸
You need an EV:) with their giant traction batteries, that are regularly monitoring and charging the 12V battery, even when parked and turned off. Guarantee you won't run that one dead with your dash cam...

But why do you need a dash cam running in your parking garage? Aren't there security cameras?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
You need an EV:) with their giant traction batteries, that are regularly monitoring and charging the 12V battery, even when parked and turned off. Guarantee you won't run that one dead with your dash cam...

But why do you need a dash cam running in your parking garage? Aren't there security cameras?
No, 1962 building, no security cams... 😸

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
No, 1962 building, no security cams... 😸
So, why can't they install them? As condo owners, don't you have a say about that in your strata meetings. Surely, others would want that, too. And it is not like they cost a lot.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
So, why can't they install them? As condo owners, don't you have a say about that in your strata meetings. Surely, others would want that, too. And it is not like they cost a lot.
Our HOA is pretty dysfunctional and there's no appetite for spending money unless something is broken and even then it takes forever - one of the water heaters has been out since August. We bring up cameras at every meeting. I'm less concerned about what might happen to the car in the garage, though. More concerned about packages being stolen, etc. I like the idea of parking mode for when the car is parked on the street or in a supermarket parking lot and gets scraped or whatever.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts