Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
I never believed those CCA values from the AAA roadside battery guys. Those handheld testers use a momentary load and math to get an estimated CCA value.

"Mechanics prefer small sizes and device manufactures have developed handheld testers, which induce a momentary high-current pulse that corresponds to the entered CCA value. Ohm’s law calculates the internal resistance on hand of the induced voltage drop, and the device provides a CCA-equivalent reading. This test method is fast and convenient, but it does not estimate capacity."

from https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_cca_cold_cranking_amp
But basically nothing does well in the estimation of capacity especially when it comes to sulphation. However, a measure of the internal resistance will give you an approximation of how sulphated a battery is.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
They basically do a small resistance test to see how the plates are doing and estimate the CCA from there - ie lower internal resistance, higher CCA - so you don't need thick gauge connectors. I posted a video of a MB mechanic testing a battery using a multimeter, a load tester, and one of these types of conductance testers showing how some meters can show a 'good' battery when the battery was actually bad.

The nice thing I've found about conductance testing is that the results are fairly consistent and the operation is fairly easy as long as you follow some basic rules about surface charge but even then the CCA rating is fairly consistent regardless of when you test the battery.
I highlighted the one with the printout because it looked like what the AAA guy used. Obviously, I don't need a printout but the selection on Amazon is overwhelming and I'm not sure what to look for...

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
I highlighted the one with the printout because it looked like what the AAA guy used. Obviously, I don't need a printout but the selection on Amazon is overwhelming and I'm not sure what to look for...
Basically, all of the conductance testers seem to do the same basic job - they'll show the internal resistance, voltage, CCA of the battery. In addition, they will show an estimate, based on the numbers collected, of the state of health and the state of charge along with general conclusion of the current state of the battery - ie charge, replace, defective...

Some will put all of that information on one screen while others will have a smaller display (more portable unit) but show the information on multiple screens. Some will have a setting for the type of battery (ie AGM or flooded) but I'm not sure how much that matters in the end other than for estimate of the state of charge.

Some other models will include basic testing of the charging system and recording what happens to the battery voltage when you start the car (kind of like using a load tester but you are using the car's starter as the load).

Personally, my recommendation is basically what you feel comfortable with (ie size of the display - some people want to see everything, while others want a smaller size) and the additional features like charging system test (I find that handy to answer the question is it my battery or charging system) and start-up testing.

Since none of these units are calibrated in anyway, I wouldn't look at them to compare against other readings from other units but I would use them to compare the same battery over time using the same tester - ie each tester might measure internal resistance differently so you can't compare between testers but that's irrelevant if you are using one tester on a set of batteries.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Resurrecting this as Santa may be bringing OAK a new battery before we head up into the snow for New Year. Is an Odyssey Extreme AGM still a good pick?

Last year, after the second night with the temps in the low teens, it would barely crank and the car was only just over a year old.

Also, as discussed in this thread (or maybe in another of my battery threads), I'm also hoping it will mean that we can utilize the parking mode of the dash cam without killing the battery.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Resurrecting this as Santa may be bringing OAK a new battery before we head up into the snow for New Year. Is an Odyssey Extreme AGM still a good pick?
From what I'm seeing, that battery may not fit. It's also hella pricey; $296 at AutoZone. Lots of juice, though, I'll give it that. 850CCA should start the car in Antarctica. It's tempting if it will fit, but it's more than I need.

My wife has a Bosch (Exide) AGM of about 650CCA in her Forester, and the car always cranks strong no matter how cold it is. I'm thinking next fall I'll install that level of Johnson Controls AGM from whatever store brand has it on sale. Autocraft Platinum 35-AGM at Advance, Duralast Platinum 35-AGM at AutoZone, and Champion 35-650CHAGM at Pep Boys are all basically identical 650CCA Johnson batteries, so whichever of those is cheapest at the time. If I were doing it today, that'd be Pep Boys; they have it for $149.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
According to their site, the 35-PC1400T will fit. An extra $100 or so if it will last longer and perform better over a few years is worth it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Over the years I’ve had five Optima batteries. First two were replaced at ten years simply because I thought it was time for a new battery. Third was in a vehicle I no longer own. And the fourth and fifth are still going strong after five and two years. In case you’re wondering, I’m a fan of Optima’s.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8020-164-35-Starting/dp/B000MS9VZK

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,443 Posts

Last year, after the second night with the temps in the low teens, it would barely crank and the car was only just over a year old.

Also, as discussed in this thread (or maybe in another of my battery threads), I'm also hoping it will mean that we can utilize the parking mode of the dash cam without killing the battery.
Just remember, if your dash cam is using excessive power when the car is off, it will still run down even the best battery, just not as fast. Good news, though, the Odyssey charges faster, and is not as easily damaged if you do overly discharge it.

Just a few weeks ago, I did it again (leaving the master on) in my plane and killed the battery (Odyssey). This is about the 3rd time in the last 10 years that I have done it to this battery. Anyway, I charged it up (offline) and it is back in service again, none the worse for wear. These things are indeed very resilient, and last a long, long time.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Thanks guys! Both seem like great options. Our dealer service tech also recommended Optima Red Top the last time I complained about the battery.

The Odyssey has much better CCA (850) and reserve capacity (130) than the Optima (720 and 90, respectively) although the Odyssey is more expensive at around $300 vs around $200 for the Optima.

Consumer Reports REALLY likes the Odyssey and gave it 99 points. Under lows, the report states: This model had no discernible flaws in its performance.

They didn't rate the Optima Red Top. They gave the Yellow Top 85 points and dinged it for Reserve Capacity.

So, I think I'll go with the Odyssey.

Reactions: R P

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,125 Posts
Can you plug the car in at the cabin?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Can you plug the car in at the cabin?
We can't do that easily and I don't want to fuss with extension cables and chargers when it's 13F and/or snowing... ?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Just got home with the battery. OMG, it weighs over 50lbs with the packaging. Such a small box but so dense!

OAK's sister usually plays Santa's Elf, handing out the presents from under the tree. This should be fun... ?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
It's still under the Christmas tree, LOL! When a man says he'll do something he'll do it. He doesn't need to be reminded every six months... ?

She guessed immediately what it was when she tried to pick up the box.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Very similar! Slightly higher CCA, slightly lower reserve capacity...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,077 Posts
Question. Are battery terminals less likely to corrode with acid on an AGM battery?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Question. Are battery terminals less likely to corrode with acid on an AGM battery?
No idea but I can let you know in a few years... ?

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
The new battery is in! It was a breeze, a perfect fit. I'll post pics and details tomorrow.

Before I hooked it up, it was 12.85v so ~100% for an AGM. I've checked a few times since I installed it and it's hovering around 12.7v but there's a load on it now that it's installed in the car. Better than the 11.9 to 12.2 from the OEM battery, LOL!

121 - 140 of 181 Posts