Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here. We just bought our new 2021 Crosstrek yesterday. Spring and summer are coming up fast, and we are wondering where in Ohio we can try some offroad driving. Obviously the XT is capable of only moderate surfaces. And, we have never done this before!

Any suggestions for finding places in NE Ohio?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do you know any ******** with 4 x 4 ‘s? Generally, in order to get to the really difficult trails you have to first pass through some moderate trails. This is where you can have fun and your 4 x 4 buddy can be nearby to tug you out if you get in over your head. Definitely you’ll want to have shackles and a toe strap. You will also want to have on hand your tow hook that inserts through the bumper. And don’t forget the regular stuff like a shovel, and waters.
Have a second person to spot you from outside the vehicle. And remember: body damage comes with the territory. So don’t do it if you can’t stand the thought of dents and ripped off bumpers

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,776 Posts
I would highly suggest skid plates to start before you drive on anything that might hit. A leak from a hit on the oil pan or CVT pan would ruin your day.
get-primitive.com for the skids I like.

Take it slowly and be conservative. It's really easy to do something wrong and cause some damage that you'll regret. Having someone there who has experience is a great idea. Even if you're not doing something where you might get stuck and need a tug, maybe they can guide you away from ripping off a bumper.

Trailsoffroad.com has some OK resources for my area. No idea about Ohio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! What I'm looking for really are cool places that we can go in our XT that we could not reach in our old car. Not really looking for an endurance test for the new set of wheels, though it does sound like fun! :p

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,210 Posts
Thanks for the replies! What I'm looking for really are cool places that we can go in our XT that we could not reach in our old car. Not really looking for an endurance test for the new set of wheels, though it does sound like fun! :p
FWIW, ours is totally stock/OEM but we've managed to navigate some trails that were considered difficult. Don't underestimate the Crosstrek (but don't overestimate, LOL)!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,776 Posts
Yeah I'd look for forest roads in pretty areas. Look for trailheads not too close to the paved roads and get on Google maps for satellite photos. As long as you're not going anywhere near anything that might hit your oil pan you should be fine. Also be aware that your front overhangs. If you bump something with the front lip, the plastic clips break easily. Try some steep stuff if you can - it's really cool how x-mode just chugs up climbs that seem like they should be a challenge.
I zoom in on stuff like this (outside of Alpine, AZ) all the time: Even if it's not as challenging as you might want, it'll be pretty... and there's usually dirt road turn offs that I can go do stupid stuff on if the bug bites me.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,210 Posts
Yeah I'd look for forest roads in pretty areas. Look for trailheads not too close to the paved roads and get on Google maps for satellite photos. As long as you're not going anywhere near anything that might hit your oil pan you should be fine. Also be aware that your front overhangs. If you bump something with the front lip, the plastic clips break easily. Try some steep stuff if you can - it's really cool how x-mode just chugs up climbs that seem like they should be a challenge.
I zoom in on stuff like this (outside of Alpine, AZ) all the time: Even if it's not as challenging as you might want, it'll be pretty... and there's usually dirt road turn offs that I can go do stupid stuff on if the bug bites me.
AllTrails: Trail Guides & Maps for Hiking, Camping, and Running | AllTrails is a good source...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.