Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to have a decent looking tow-hook that is also functional. There are some really nice looking ones, but they are also usually pretty expensive for what they are.

I decided to make my own using the OEM tow hook and few modified cheap parts from Harbor Freight.

HF always has some type of coupon floating around. I found a 20% off online and they just scanned my phone at checkout. After the discount, my total bill was under $12.

I bought the rubber mallet and shackle from HF. Both linked below:

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-d-ring-shackle-for-suv-63743.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-lb-rubber-mallet-69050.html

I used a circle drill bit that was about the same size as the diameter of the pin for the shackle. After the center was cut out, I cut the mallet in half.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then I took that half and cut two "bushings" out of it to make a tight fit.

Put everything together to make a tow-hook sandwich.

Test fit in the car

Turned out pretty decent, especially for the price.
I might powdercoat the OEM tow-hook black to have everything match a bit more.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,657 Posts
Why the mallet and not just rubber washers?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why the mallet and not just rubber washers?
You sure could.

Might be a little harder to find the right width and center holes in the correct size.

HF didn't have anything like that, at least no near that size, what they did have was much much smaller.
So I walked up and down the isles and the mallet idea just popped in my head. Figured it it worked, why not haha.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,657 Posts
You sure could.

Might be a little harder to find the right width and center holes in the correct size.

HF didn't have anything like that, at least no near that size, what they did have was much much smaller.
So I walked up and down the isles and the mallet idea just popped in my head. Figured it it worked, why not haha.
And you still have half a mallet, LOL!

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm thinking of going this route for the front, mainly to have a tie down for my canoe. Think I'll buy an OEM tow hook and leave it permanently installed. Want to drill out the plastic cover to make it look a bit more aesthetically pleasing, but am still trying to come up with a way to exactly center the hole in the cover. Anyone know if a 2018 hook is unique or will other Crosstrek model years work???

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
I might powdercoat the OEM tow-hook black to have everything match a bit more.
I would powdercoat the whole thing as it might be tough to get a black powdercoat to match the existing black as dumb as that might sound.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Yup thats not a bad idea!

Saying that you built rubber washers out of a mallet is a lot 'cooler' that saying I went down to the big box store and got some washers.... :)
hahaha. Well, if they did have large enough washers at the store, I would have just bought them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks so much for this diy/idea! I scoured all of Home Depot looking for anything to use that would be as cheap as this and no dice. Here's my completed 1 of 2 going on my 2018 CGK. I decided to roll with orange because everyone with my color 2018 is doing black. Not going crazy with the orange, just some touches here and there. Do I need to do anything to prep the spot that you screw them into the frame?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do I need to do anything to prep the spot that you screw them into the frame?[/IMG]
Yes and no.. lol

You can just pop the cap off and screw it into the bumper beam. If you're going to run the hook all the time, you can drill a hole through the plastic bumper cap, then screw it in.

As I dont really plan on leaving mine on the car when I dont need it, I didnt drill the cap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So you bought that off the shelf or made that thing of beauty?
I bought the 3/4" shackles and the isolators (rubber part that goes around the ring) on Amazon. Used the oem tow hook.

It came with washers but they were plastic and not thick enough to hold the shackle in place. So I did like chicken did and cut rubber washers out of a mallet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks so much for this diy/idea! I scoured all of Home Depot looking for anything to use that would be as cheap as this and no dice. Here's my completed 1 of 2 going on my 2018 CGK. I decided to roll with orange because everyone with my color 2018 is doing black. Not going crazy with the orange, just some touches here and there. Do I need to do anything to prep the spot that you screw them into the frame?

nice, I went with red for my cgk

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess I am missing something. Why do you want a tow hook hanging off your bumper(s) 24/7? Do you anticipate being stuck in a ditch often?
It'll be stored in the back of XV - installed into 2" receiver hitch only when needed - not used 24/7/365... very similar to the concepts in thread above - only installed when required.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts