Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roughly how long did install take?
It took about 45 mins (an hour tops) to do both front and mid skids.

Was honestly one of the easiest mods ive done to the car. The hardest/most time consuming part was removing the factory plastic under tray haha.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chicken, hows the skid plate holding up?
Absolutely great!

I had to remove it about two/three weeks ago to do the timely oil change and all was well.

A few months ago, off-road, I felt a nice scrape on a rouge rock I didnt notice. It left a nice scrape down the plate, better that than the oil pan haha.

Here is the rock I hit, nicely scraped up from the skid pan hah!
IMG_20180811_152949.jpg

·
Registered
230 Posts
Absolutely great!

I had to remove it about two/three weeks ago to do the timely oil change and all was well.

A few months ago, off-road, I felt a nice scrape on a rouge rock I didnt notice. It left a nice scrape down the plate, better that than the oil pan haha.

Here is the rock I hit, nicely scraped up from the skid pan hah!
View attachment 284096
Good stuff man! Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I forgot to ask, Did you get the Fumoto valve on yours? With the cutout for the oil drain, can you replace the oil filter without removing the skidplate? I'm trying to figure out it fits worth getting the oil drain cutout and fumoto valve if you still have to take the whole plate off to replace the oil filter.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to ask, Did you get the Fumoto valve on yours? With the cutout for the oil drain, can you replace the oil filter without removing the skidplate? I'm trying to figure out it fits worth getting the oil drain cutout and fumoto valve if you still have to take the whole plate off to replace the oil filter.
Filter is not an issue, as it in topside in the engine bay ;)

I did not have a fumoto valve, but I did order once since the last oil change. Ive got it sitting in the garage ready to be installed during the next change.

I dont have the cutout on mine, but I would assume it would work just fine with the valve. Especially one with the longer nipple where you could attache a hose to it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Filter is not an issue, as it in topside in the engine bay ;)

I did not have a fumoto valve, but I did order once since the last oil change. Ive got it sitting in the garage ready to be installed during the next change.

I dont have the cutout on mine, but I would assume it would work just fine with the valve. Especially one with the longer nipple where you could attache a hose to it!
Got it. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good thread. I installed my Primitive front skid plate on my '19 last week (12/14/19), with the oil-drain cut out. Fumoto valve to be installed at first oil change soon. What I'm wondering is whether or not folks think the splash protection from the stock plastic tray should be cut out and re-installed inside the front wheels in conjunction with the skid plate? And if you do that, how do you place them with the skid plate? I assume you'd have some overlap sandwiched between the skid plate and the underside of the car. Thanks for any thoughts on this...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good thread. I installed my Primitive front skid plate on my '19 last week (12/14/19), with the oil-drain cut out. Fumoto valve to be installed at first oil change soon. What I'm wondering is whether or not folks think the splash protection from the stock plastic tray should be cut out and re-installed inside the front wheels in conjunction with the skid plate? And if you do that, how do you place them with the skid plate? I assume you'd have some overlap sandwiched between the skid plate and the underside of the car. Thanks for any thoughts on this...
I have thought about trimming my OEM plastic one and riveting parts of it to the Primitive skid. Just to get some of the splash areas covered up like you mentioned.

Ive also been saying this for like a year.. not high on my priority list but I would like to do it haha.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
975 Posts
I have thought about trimming my OEM plastic one and riveting parts of it to the Primitive skid. Just to get some of the splash areas covered up like you mentioned.

Ive also been saying this for like a year.. not high on my priority list but I would like to do it haha.
Do you think that it would be possible to install the front studs, then reinstall the factory splash guard and bolt on the Primitive plate? Basically I would like to retain the factory plastic and add on the plate.

Thanks for the video BTW, it's very helpful in seeing exactly what the Primitive plate covers. Makes it easier to compare to the LP Adventure option.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you think that it would be possible to install the front studs, then reinstall the factory splash guard and bolt on the Primitive plate? Basically I would like to retain the factory plastic and add on the plate.

Thanks for the video BTW, it's very helpful in seeing exactly what the Primitive plate covers. Makes it easier to compare to the LP Adventure option.
I suppose if you cut holes for the studs, everything would work.
It would be a lot to remove each time for an oil chance though.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
975 Posts
That's exactly what I meant, thank you! The oil drain hole would solve that I think.

I would prefer the LP Adventure version, but the price is just stupid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for your original video. This prompted me to get the 3 skids for my 2020 Plug in. Installed 2 of the 3 yesterday, very easily! I was able to trim the sides of the factory plastics, with about a 4" overlap to the Primitive skid, and re attach to the vehicle, and tuck them above the primitive skid. Seems like they will stay sturdy, and in place. Was happy to do that, as it will keep less dirt and debris from entering through the wheel well or sides.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts