Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just successfully bypassed the Nav units movement restrictions (entering address, playing video, etc. while moving) I followed the the other post on this site but instruction weren't clear and i guessed my way through them. i completed it without purchasing any new parts but here is a list of parts i used.

Materials:
- few ft of wire (~3ft of two strand, and 1ft of single strand)
- 3 crimp wire nuts
- small switch
- electrical tape

Tools:
- Phillips screwdriver
- Wire stripper
(The tools and material above are what I used but others could be substituted in for items)

Instructions:
1) Start by removing the key and the negative terminal from the battery. (just as a safety precaution. I didn't want to fry my car with only 100 miles it)
2) next is to remove the air control rods, they are just two shiny rods below the steering wheel on the right. There's a little clip at the end of both of them, just push it up and they will slid out.
3) next remove the glove box by squeezing in the sides until it pops free then un hook the plunger on the right side by simply pulling side ways.
4) now unhook the next control rod ( just like the one below the steering wheel but this one is behind the glove box. Just repeat the earlier process.
5) next is the trim around the unit. Easiest way i found is to pull from above the vents and hazard button, just find the seam and pull with your finger, it pulls off rather easy, then just work your way down then sides and to the bottom(Pull here). Dont pull too far as there are wires attached to the back, these are a little tricky to remove, but start with the top hazard wire, then the bottom AC wire cluster.
6) The trim should now be free and the 4 screws holding the nav unit should now be exposed, unscrew all of them.
7) now pull the whole unit forward slowly adjusting the wires as you go, pull it far enough forward to rest on the shifter handle.
8) The first wire you need to find is the parking break wire, its the grey one in the small cluster on the left. After cutting wire Cut it far enough down that you have room to connect a wire nut, the wire nut it to another short piece of wire of similar size. This wire will be grounded to the side of the unit by simply loosening a side screw and tightening it back with the wire under it.grounded to side
9) next is the speed sensor, this is the the pink and green wire on the big wire cluster. Pink and Green wire
10) Cut this wire about 2 inches from end. Cut
11) now wire nut each end to each end of the two strand wire. wire nut
12) you can now run this wire to where ever you want the switch. i just ran it to the glove box as an easy location. now just wire the switch to the end of the wire. leave the switch off to disable the speed sensor on the Nav.
13) now just reassemble everything in the backwards, and dont forget the battery cable at the end.

Here is all the picture I took along the way. Feel free to ask questions as i understand the direction may be unclear at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the switch is off then feature of the Navigation that rely on speed may not work quite right such as time of arrival, speed alert, etc. but all functionality will return when switch is turned on. There for if you leave the switch on the majority of the time and only turn off if you want to watch a movie or bypass a restriction then you shouldn't see any loss of function

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now that I come back to get ready for the project (I get my XV on Wednesday) I just realised that your steering wheel is on the left...... Is this the same for the Aussie version?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at other sources and they claim that it's unnecessary to unhook the AC control rods (so step 2 and 3) and during my removal I never saw any reason to. Therefore if you follow the steps excluding 2 and 3 then you shouldn't have a problem, as long as your head unit is the same.

this was the teardown guide I followed (which is why I removed the ac rods

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

I am coming from a 2014 Forester with the same nav unit. I just tried this and although there were no negative effects, I am still locked out while the vehicle is in motion. I grounded the parking brake (gray) wire to the back and side of the unit (neither helped) and I spliced in a switch for pin 17 on the 28 pin connector, which should be the pink w/ green stripe VSS sensor. I also tried leaving the VSS wire disconnected all together and I am still locked out of many of the functions while the vehicle is in motion.

Any advice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Screw all that! I put my Garmin 3790 back on the dash. The Subaru Nav unit is an inferior piece of trash that is much too clutsy to use. Voice commands are lock-step with only limited responses allowed. Typing in destinations is more flexible but as you are saying, the vehicle must be stopped unless you can bypass the lockout feature. By voice on the Garmin, I can say any address or place with remarkable recognition by the system. I have the weighted dash-mount for the Garmin and I put it in front of the temperature/time display towards the right. Two GPS units in one vehicle? No. I don't use that Subaru piece of crap unless I'm stuck in some situation. Both GPS units seem to produce nearly identical results in navigation guidance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anybody else had luck with this lockout procedure? Just purchased a 2014 Crosstrek with the same GPS unit and would like to try. It would be nice to know if others had success. Lockouts sure are a pain.

Well I just tried the procedure. Instructions were easy to follow. Took me about 3 hrs. The problem is I am still locked out will moving. The only thing that worked is now my parking brake is always on according to the GPS self test. Not sure what to do now. Any thoughts by anybody? The Fujitsu unit is actually pretty good with an extensive database. Nice maps and features. Just can't use while moving to its full potential. The voice recognition as takes my eyes off the road more then using the touch screen. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you find a solution for this???

Has anybody else had luck with this lockout procedure? Just purchased a 2014 Crosstrek with the same GPS unit and would like to try. It would be nice to know if others had success. Lockouts sure are a pain.

Well I just tried the procedure. Instructions were easy to follow. Took me about 3 hrs. The problem is I am still locked out will moving. The only thing that worked is now my parking brake is always on according to the GPS self test. Not sure what to do now. Any thoughts by anybody? The Fujitsu unit is actually pretty good with an extensive database. Nice maps and features. Just can't use while moving to its full potential. The voice recognition as takes my eyes off the road more then using the touch screen. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On the OEM Fujitsu Ten navigation head units (the type we're talking about in this thread), ones with the latest firmware also use GPS to detect motion and cause the lock outs. So you would have to also add a switch to disconnect the cable from the GPS antenna (or block the signal by somehow covering the antenna).

·
Registered
39 Posts
skylerk99's instructions are a little unclear. In step 8, where you cut the parking brake wire, you want to only ground the stub that goes into the head unit (into the 16-pin plug), not the other side that goes back into the car. (the pictures show it, but you have to look closely). I've heard from more than one person who says they tried to do this and don't understand why the BRAKE light on the dash is now on all the time (it's because they grounded the wrong side of the cut).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Mine works fine. No brake light. I posted the original write up on this and if you read the instructions I posted and follow them you should have no issues. These instructions are missing the one way 1 amp diode between the parking brake and ground wire. Don't ground the parking brake wire to the unit connect the parking brake wire AND THE GROUND WIRE through the diode. When the switch is off the BRAKE light will illuminate on the dash still.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
774 Posts
VERY NICE write-up, thank you so much!! The part I can not understand is the purpose of the on/off switch for the speed sensor circuit? Please explain to the old and slow people like ME!:tongue: Ifone is turning it on and off as the car is moving and
a movie is playing the movie will go on and off, correct? Thank you in advance for the explanation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts