Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
410 miles on my current tank, mostly highway on the weekend, could have been 430-450, but my commute to work ruined the gas mileage.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Over 90-something fill-ups here's what I've noticed:

- If you follow the MPG gauge then you can easily get 400 miles per tank.

- Driving over 70mph will definitely take away from MPG. The sweet spot is 60-70.

- Another sweet spot is 30-45ish, but stopping for lights will also cut your mileage a lot.

- no reason to use anything besides 87 octane E10.

- If you want to keep good mileage don't try to stretch out your oil changes, and keep your tires at the high end of inflation range. Watch your air filter.

- Best mileage I've had over a whole tank was 31mpg (about 550 miles per tank), worst was 23ish mpg(about 350miles/tank), and as you can see below I average around 26 (400+ miles/tank). I drive a lot of either stop and go traffic or 70+ mph areas. I almost always fill up around mile 400 whether its empty or not because you shouldn't run your tank empty, it's bad for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never Kramer my tank (if you know what I mean.) I normally fill-up at around 400-425 and I fill up around 13.5+ gallons at the pump. I read in the manual that the XV is a 15 gallon tank. My DD is roughly 25% Hwy/75 City. Based on my calculations at the pump, I am getting approx. 31 MPG (summer.), my dashboard says 33-34 MPG.
I have 16.8k on my 2014 XV.
My XV sweet spot is around 62mph. My mood plays a factor in controlling the MPG. Once you are at 80+ mph no reason to be concerned about the MPH readout, you are in a different universe now.
I love my 2014 XV Crosstrek in TOP.
Good day.
Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm with freeasabird and Rorgaard. I use pencil and paper for fill-ups seeing that the average computer read out is a couple clicks higher.

The CVT, just one week old, [1] fill-up so far, 436 miles, 31.38 mpg [7.5/100km] 25% urban/75% extra urban. Hilly, rainy while contending with the crazy folk terrain [NYC to central CT back to UpState]. I think the first tank is a keeper.

Edited cuz too much verbiage.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I never Kramer my tank (if you know what I mean.) I normally fill-up at around 400-425 and I fill up around 13.5+ gallons at the pump. I read in the manual that the XV is a 15 gallon tank. My DD is roughly 25% Hwy/75 City. Based on my calculations at the pump, I am getting approx. 31 MPG (summer.), my dashboard says 33-34 MPG.
I have 16.8k on my 2014 XV.
My XV sweet spot is around 62mph. My mood plays a factor in controlling the MPG. Once you are at 80+ mph no reason to be concerned about the MPH readout, you are in a different universe now.
I love my 2014 XV Crosstrek in TOP.
Good day.
Shane.

It's a 16.2 gallon tank.

·
Registered
665 Posts
...*yaaawn*

I love Subaru, and I don't speak ill of the company or my car much, but those mileage computers lie, lie, lie. My guess is they don't take enough samples over a long enough period of time, so you get averages of averages or averages of the last 50 miles, or something. In any case, it's wrong.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Another fill-up [the 2nd fill-up since purchase] with the CVT 2015.

438.7 miles [706 km]
14.55 gal [US] [55 litres]
30.15 mpg [US] 7.8 L/100km
Multi Function Display read 33mpg average for this tank. [hilarious]

60% extra urban, 40% stop and go Urban. [moving average for this tank =34 mph/55kph]

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't pay much attention to mileage, but so far my average is 32-33 mpg according to the computer and I get over 450 miles on a tank of gas. On the highway it is easily over 500. I drive at 65-70 mph on the highway.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Usually between 600-700 kms. My top is 797 kms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't pay much attention to mileage, but so far my average is 32-33 mpg according to the computer and I get over 450 miles on a tank of gas. On the highway it is easily over 500. I drive at 65-70 mph on the highway.

Are you serious-:)
So how many gallons does it take to fill up. I leave approx. +2 gallons in the tank before fill up., and it takes around 13.5 gallons to fill up. With that, it takes approx. 425 - 435 miles per one tank. I never use it all up, because that might damage the fuel pump.
My commute is roughly 75/25% City/Highway..

·
Registered
721 Posts
I never use it all up, because that might damage the fuel pump.
Where do you get this idea?

I have been almost completely emptying my tank for 3 years now, and I do not notice any evidence of my fuel pump being damaged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where do you get this idea?

I have been almost completely emptying my tank for 3 years now, and I do not notice any evidence of my fuel pump being damaged.

Please define almost, seriously.
How long after the " gas pump" light coming on, do you continue driving?
You are up in Canada, so we may engage in Unit conversion

To my understanding, the fuel pump is submersed in the gas tank, and the gas is used as a cooling system for the pump. So, going below the level may affect the fuel pump's cooling environment and may shorten the pump's operating life.

Good day
Shane

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lets not get all bogged down in the "Burning up the fuel pump" discussion. Just keep these facts in mind about the modern fuel pumps.

1. Yes they are in the fuel cell/gas tank and yes the gasoline/Petrol or what ever you call it where you reside acts as a coolant for the pump. It doesn't take much gas to geep the pump cool when the car is running. So even if you are "Running on empty" your chances of frying the pump are pretty slim.
2. Now 90 percent ++++ of the time the reason people burn up their fuel pump is....Drum roll please>>>> IS when the car runs out of gas and the dummies try repeatedly to restart the engine. The fuel pump is sucking a lot of amps trying to sump the gas that isn't there and it gets hot and POOFFFT it burns out.
3. So children the key here is if you run out of gas don't compound the problem with a very expensive repair and tow.

Now back to the regular scheduled program. How to get 400 plus miles per tank out of your XV!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Please define almost, seriously.
In all seriousness (why would I be flippant about it?!) I usually drive until the display tells me I have less than 50kms left. That probably means about 4 litres?

You are up in Canada
I am? When did I move there? ;-)

Last night my "fuel" light came on as I was driving home. I checked the display to see how much further it estimated I could drive. It said 100kms. I saw no reason to refuel right then, as I knew that I would pass several petrol stations in the next 100kms.

I have found that display to be completely reliable.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts