Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have just got my 2021 outdoor Canadian spec and I am new to the forum. I have just found one thing strange is that every time I park, I can feel the car move a little bit or lurch. Where I park the car is a little downhill.
What I did is:
1. foot on brake
2. shift to neutral
3. hand brake on
4. shift to P
5. foot off brake
I am not sure what is going wrong or is this normal? I think I am doing the right procedure that I let the handbrake to take the car's weight. I did the same procedure for my old 2012 Mazda 6 and it did not lurch at all.
I have tested the handbrake's functionality by: 1. foot on brake 2. shift to neutral 3. handbrake on (as high as possible). 4. foot off the brake. The car didn't roll down the hill but still lurched like before.
Could anyone explain this? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Do you have a manual with a handbrake?
I have a CVT with an ebrake. My driveway is also on a little incline and does the same thing when I put it in Park and turn on the ebrake. It doesn't roll as such but it gives the sensation of a slight lurch backwards. Can't explain why but maybe normal for our cars?

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a manual with a handbrake?
I have a CVT with an ebrake. My driveway is also on a little incline and does the same thing when I put it in Park and turn on the ebrake. It doesn't roll as such but it gives the sensation of a slight lurch backwards. Can't explain why but maybe normal for our cars?
Thank you! I think that is the lurch I have got as well

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why the shift to neutral? Just put it in park and set the hand brake.
Just to make sure the weight is on the handbrake and test if the hand brake functions well. I think I usually do your way as well and it won't put the weight on gears as long as the foot off the brake is after everything.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
651 Posts
You want the strain from parking on an incline to be fully taken by the parking brake. If too much strain is put on the CVT transmission parking pawl, it may become difficult to take out of park and into the forward or reverse gears. You want to:
1. Stop with your foot brake.
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Place vehicle in Neutral.
4. Release foot brake and let vehicle settle into balance with the parking brake.
5. Place gear selector into Park, with no strain on it.
6. Turn off engine and depart vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
651 Posts
Hello everyone, I have just got my 2021 outdoor Canadian spec and I am new to the forum. I have just found one thing strange is that every time I park, I can feel the car move a little bit or lurch. Where I park the car is a little downhill.
What I did is:
1. foot on brake
2. shift to neutral
3. hand brake on
4. shift to P
5. foot off brake
I am not sure what is going wrong or is this normal? I think I am doing the right procedure that I let the handbrake to take the car's weight. I did the same procedure for my old 2012 Mazda 6 and it did not lurch at all.
I have tested the handbrake's functionality by: 1. foot on brake 2. shift to neutral 3. handbrake on (as high as possible). 4. foot off the brake. The car didn't roll down the hill but still lurched like before.
Could anyone explain this? Thank you so much.
It’s perfectly normal.
The lurch is caused by the parking brake allowing the car to move a couple of inches as it engages. The parking brake DOES NOT use the normal braking system rotor disks and calipers. It uses a drum brake system internal to the rear brake rotor disks. It allows a bit of movement as it engages, due to the normal bit of looseness inherent in a drum brake system. If it was adjusted too tightly, the brake shoes would be rubbing/wearing on the drums constantly.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You want the strain from parking on an incline to be fully taken by the parking brake. If too much strain is put on the CVT transmission parking pawl, it may become difficult to take out of park and into the forward or reverse gears. You want to:
4. Release foot brake and let vehicle settle into balance with the parking brake.
GTK and thanks. My first CVT so I'm in the old habit of footbrake, gear, handbrake. Will change to this now.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,089 Posts
Source?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Your method also provides a check on your parking brake. If the vehicle doesn't stop rolling after releasing the foot brake, it means you haven't sufficiently applied the parking brake or it needs adjusting.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,588 Posts
If you think there's too much slack there, you could ask the dealer service if the hand brake is adjusted correctly. Otherwise, there may be some, very, small movement before the brake fully engages. But there shouldn't be enough for you to feel that it is a problem.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts