Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question for those with a newer vehicle. Any of you get a hot rubber smell after driving it? I thought it was related to the new materials (all new cars smell odd for a while), but after 6 weeks and 3K miles, it’s still an issue. It should have burned it off by now IMO. Now I’m wondering if there’s either a problem with the serpentine belt or maybe a pulley issue (though everything is quiet). It’s pretty smelly in the garage and if idling in a drive thru, it comes inside the cabin thru the cabin air intake.

I should have asked the dealership to check it last week when it was in for the firmware update. Will probably wait until my first oil change at this point. But at this point, I’m just wondering if any other new owners are smelling theirs? (And just to clarify, it’s in dry, cold weather, not snow...since I know vehicles of all ages get that smell in snow)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Haven’t experienced that at all in my new (2K miles) ‘19.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to just update this thread. Smell never went away. Was better all winter but is stronger now that the temps are in the 80s. Comes into the cabin at stoplights sometimes. Yum, the smell of burnt rubber! So I swung by the dealership on the way home yesterday and asked them about it. Looking under the hood, belt looks fine. He said they’ve seen it on some vehicles where either the stuff they spray on the engine to make it look good or the material sandwiched in the heat shield around the cat converter off gasses. He said they see it last 10-15K miles. So I have a ways to go before it disappears. At least now I know it’ll go away. Maybe by the end of summer (almost at 9K miles now).

·
Registered
1 Posts
our 19 is at the dealer right now for a smell (smells like some type of oil). it only happens when the air conditioner is on. the dealer can not detect any leaks in the system. but so far they have replaced the a/c compressor. that did not take away the smell. now subsru wants the dealer to replace the evaporator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have an 18 and its got 15k on it. The smell is getting worse and car is now running different. Checked the oil and smells like a mix of gas/oil not sure if a valve is bad or what but taking it to dealer friday. Any updates on y’all?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well no change with mine. Actually smells more like hot coolant. Just as bad now after 15K miles, but no fluids are low. Must really be the coatings they put on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer has checked ours now as well and said there is no codes, no visible sign of a defect, and running how it should. They did state that there is a coating inside the hood that can be leaking out when it gets wet or moisture get under there and it can be falling onto hot parts of the engine causing the smell.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all fairness, my ‘05 Tacoma (222K miles) smells like coolant when it gets hot. But it’s never leaked and never used coolant either. Has always been that way, just not as strong as the CT. Must be something with the coatings on some parts.

I used to always see posts in winter from people in snow country like me. Most vehicles will smell like burnt rubber when driving in snow. Wet snow on the exhaust parts produces that smell. I think maybe whatever they use on the exhaust parts is just stronger on this car than other vehicles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
New 2019, just under 1500 miles on it and I can tell when my CVT is getting a workout. Being new with rustproofing also has its smells.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts