Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Horn upgrade

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
24K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  Cutlass 
#1 ·
So what's the best bang-for-the-buck horn that I can get for MY2018 XV? I hate its stock horn and I'm using it for about 2 years now and I feel that it's really time for an upgrade. Is it easy to install a horn by yourself?

#6 ·
I'm running hella sharptones. I like the sound vs stock but in practicality I don't know that they're more effective.
I’ve got hella sharptones also. They were pretty easy to install and the stock horns were really underwhelming. There were times with the stock horns where I was completely ignored and didn’t phase other drivers at all. The point of the car horn is to get people’s attention (and hopefully prevent an accident), and the hella sharptones are much better at that. Sometimes there’s even a little jump from other drivers, which is kinda funny too...
Are Sharptones generally more preferred compared to the older Supertones?

I went with PIAA Superior Bass Horn (330/400Hz), part # 85115.

They're louder, sound great, don't need a relay and fit in the OEM locations but I did have to bend the lower bracket a little bit.
Interesting. Are these as famous as the Hella Horns? I'll see if I can find a review that compares these and the Hella Horns.

#4 ·
I’ve got hella sharptones also. They were pretty easy to install and the stock horns were really underwhelming. There were times with the stock horns where I was completely ignored and didn’t phase other drivers at all. The point of the car horn is to get people’s attention (and hopefully prevent an accident), and the hella sharptones are much better at that. Sometimes there’s even a little jump from other drivers, which is kinda funny too...

#5 ·
I went with PIAA Superior Bass Horn (330/400Hz), part # 85115.

They're louder, sound great, don't need a relay and fit in the OEM locations but I did have to bend the lower bracket a little bit.

#10 ·
You need the wiring harness if you want the full effect of the hella horns, they draw more power than the stock wiring can provide.

to further my earlier comment above, I think removing the horns from their original mounts to use the subimods bracket has reduced their volume. I have read that the original mounting tab is part of the horn's design. If I were to do it over I would either mount the Hellas as-is in the stock horn positions (with a wiring harness), or get the piaa horns listed above by Doca.

#14 ·
Not really.

I looked at several Hellas and a few other companies as well but knew that fancy looks would be unnoticed unless I addressed the grill. I kinda wanted to do it but it wasn't worth it to me.
I can barely see a portion of the upper mounter PIAA's silver label behind the grill but I know where to look. My wife didn't see it until I pointed it out.

I also knew that I'd have to install a new bracket to mount both front and center to get the visible affect of the Hellas. That would have made wiring and mounting easier. Also, it's easy to unclip the lower OEM horn harness.

In the end, I wanted a deeper tone and I got that from PIAA.

PIAA's Superior Bass Horn pipes 112 db (db means almost nothing once installed in the car) @ 330 Hz and 400 Hz.
The Sharp tone M23S announces themselves with 115 db @ 350 Hz and 415 Hz.
I had considered tri-tone Hella Super tone B113 (118db, 300/375/500 Hz) but at 123mm, I was concerned they'd be too large.

#23 ·
Well, there is a sliding scale when measuring decibels however, db and perception of volume is based on the frequency. With the referenced products sitting within very small range, its very likely that the 6db difference is as little difference to the ear as breathing. Regardless, it’s plausible to assume that the marginally higher frequency Hellas @ 6db more than the PIAAs cannot possibly be in excess of normal speaking volume. I think thats an extremely generous window because apparently thats about 60bd (@ about 85-255 hz) and I think that’s a reasonable estimation.

Electronic sirens, such as fire trucks and police, are much higher in frequency. Therefore, the db level is much higher even if using the same input power and driver, which it’s not. Our referenced horns are diaphragm while the siren is not. My PIAAs use 2.7 amps per horn, that equals about 32.5 watts. Sirens are driven with 100-500 watts. A quick look just now indicates that most emergency vehicle sirens run 200-300 watts. We also have to take directional focus into account. I honestly don’t know how electronic sirens are directed but I assume it’s very effectively while we all know car horns are very poorly directed. My PIAAs direct down while the Hellas project straight out the face.

Also, how are these two products measured? Everything I’ve ever seen says car horns are tested at nearly 7 feet while sirens are at 10 feet. Although marginal, we can safely assume that standing 3 feet closer to the siren will be louder. Unfortunately, I have no source to tell me at what distance a particular rock concert db was measured, nor do I know the acoustics of the facility it was tested in. For all I know, the measurement was taken either in front of the main speaker or in the nose bleed section of a purposefully designed amphitheater.

What I do know is that the perceived volume at the 2 products cannot be large because of the narrow db rating and frequencies used. Just because I’m being pestered to stop writing and go out for dinner; I don’t know about anybody else but I bet my ears would hurt if I stood 10 feet away from either horn and someone laid on it as it if were a siren.

#24 · (Edited)
Well, there is a sliding scale when measuring decibels however, db and perception of volume is based on the frequency. With the referenced products sitting within very small range, its very likely that the 6db difference is as little difference to the ear as breathing. Regardless, it’s plausible to assume that the marginally higher frequency Hellas @ 6db more than the PIAAs cannot possibly be in excess of normal speaking volume. I think thats an extremely generous window because apparently thats about 60bd (@ about 85-255 hz) and I think that’s a reasonable estimation.

Electronic sirens, such as fire trucks and police, are much higher in frequency. Therefore, the db level is much higher even if using the same input power and driver, which it’s not. Our referenced horns are diaphragm while the siren is not. My PIAAs use 2.7 amps per horn, that equals about 32.5 watts. Sirens are driven with 100-500 watts. A quick look just now indicates that most emergency vehicle sirens run 200-300 watts. We also have to take directional focus into account. I honestly don’t know how electronic sirens are directed but I assume it’s very effectively while we all know car horns are very poorly directed. My PIAAs direct down while the Hellas project straight out the face.

Also, how are these two products measured? Everything I’ve ever seen says car horns are tested at nearly 7 feet while sirens are at 10 feet. Although marginal, we can safely assume that standing 3 feet closer to the siren will be louder. Unfortunately, I have no source to tell me at what distance a particular rock concert db was measured, nor do I know the acoustics of the facility it was tested in. For all I know, the measurement was taken either in front of the main speaker or in the nose bleed section of a purposefully designed amphitheater.

What I do know is that the perceived volume at the 2 products cannot be large because of the narrow db rating and frequencies used. Just because I’m being pestered to stop writing and go out for dinner; I don’t know about anybody else but I bet my ears would hurt if I stood 10 feet away from either horn and someone laid on it as it if were a siren.
Early dinner! ?

I'd love to understand more about this. The only vehicle that hurts my ears more than a fire engine passing us, Code 3, while we're walking around Santa Monica, is a Harley with what must be an illegal decibel limit...

Edit: This CA vehicle code doesn't help much:

(a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn that emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.

#25 ·
I didn't read the comments in this thread.. really don't care about anyone else's opinion on decibels or anything.

I happened to see this sale on Hella horns for $14 for as long as it lasts https://sellout.woot.com/offers/hella-loud-super-tone-electric-horn-3

I had these horns on my old car, and while they are generally regarded as one of the best horn upgrades, I did not notice any difference between them and the stock horn at the time. Had them wired directly to the battery and everything... seemed to be the same.

If you are looking for a horn project, you might as well save some cash on this sale. Then combine them with any of the harnesses/mounting options that might be available on any Subaru accessory sites....

#27 ·

Recently purchased Hella Twin Tone Trumpet Horn Kit 01122583.
It was $30 on Ebay.
Going to replace stock ones with the new Hella Twin Tone ones.
The new ones have two terminals... so one goes to ground / car metal body.
Thinking of making a custom ground wire harness from a grounding bolt (close to air filter box) all the way to both horns.
Going to zip tie in a few points to the stock horn harness.

Will make a few pics as I finish the project.

#28 ·
I'd like to know more about the science of it for sure. Yeah, one thing a forum like this is good for is side debates about a topic. We have to be careful to not overpower the intent of the thread, as a number of us have done form time to time :rolleyes:.

I haven't seen any adapters to convert Subaru OEM horn connectors to standard connectors. I'd be surprised if they exist. It took me maybe 5 minutes to cut the OEM harnesses, solder standard clips and heat shrink them. You could use a tap instead, I just didn't want the loose connector.

If you hit the Hella and PIAA (and others) website, you can hear each of their products.

#33 · (Edited)
Significantly, if you order from there. Check out what Amazon can do for you but confirm that Subimods comes with all necessary wiring. I'll probably have a look later but I just got tagged for a meeting.

edit: Kinda looks like Subimods charges a premium to add some covered wire. However, it would be easy to install.

#37 ·
I believe if you want to swap out the original horns you have to remove the front bumper. I put Supertones on our ‘11 outback when we got that but only had to remove the grill to put them in and remove OEM horns.

#38 ·
it is probably easier to drop the bumper but I didn’t have to.

#41 ·
Hi everyone,

I am also one of those who dislike the 'meep meep' standard horn sound.

Has anyone experience with JDM Subaru Triple or Double Horn Kits?

Thanks,

~ Dr.MORO

#44 · (Edited)
#47 ·
I upgraded to a Hella trumpet style horns. Not expensive, or difficult to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.