Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the best bang-for-the-buck horn that I can get for MY2018 XV? I hate its stock horn and I'm using it for about 2 years now and I feel that it's really time for an upgrade. Is it easy to install a horn by yourself?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,236 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’ve got hella sharptones also. They were pretty easy to install and the stock horns were really underwhelming. There were times with the stock horns where I was completely ignored and didn’t phase other drivers at all. The point of the car horn is to get people’s attention (and hopefully prevent an accident), and the hella sharptones are much better at that. Sometimes there’s even a little jump from other drivers, which is kinda funny too...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I went with PIAA Superior Bass Horn (330/400Hz), part # 85115.

They're louder, sound great, don't need a relay and fit in the OEM locations but I did have to bend the lower bracket a little bit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some folks here like Hella horns. It's on my to do list, too, as I hate the "meep meep" of the OEMs.

There are loads of posts and threads about them. Try searching for Hella.

Here's one: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/diy-hella-horn-install-video.154186/#post-1790842
I'm running hella sharptones. I like the sound vs stock but in practicality I don't know that they're more effective.
I’ve got hella sharptones also. They were pretty easy to install and the stock horns were really underwhelming. There were times with the stock horns where I was completely ignored and didn’t phase other drivers at all. The point of the car horn is to get people’s attention (and hopefully prevent an accident), and the hella sharptones are much better at that. Sometimes there’s even a little jump from other drivers, which is kinda funny too...
Are Sharptones generally more preferred compared to the older Supertones?

I went with PIAA Superior Bass Horn (330/400Hz), part # 85115.

They're louder, sound great, don't need a relay and fit in the OEM locations but I did have to bend the lower bracket a little bit.
Interesting. Are these as famous as the Hella Horns? I'll see if I can find a review that compares these and the Hella Horns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are Sharptones generally more preferred compared to the older Supertones?
From what everyone says on other forums, the supertones are louder than sharptones and usually come in more colors. The sharptones are a bit louder than stock, and have a different frequency range than stock. Lots of people end up going with sharptones it looks like. I ended up painting my sharptone covers to match the orange of the vehicle. I think the real difference here is mostly preference. Can’t attest to the PIAA horns.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what everyone says on other forums, the supertones are louder than sharptones and usually come in more colors. The sharptones are a bit louder than stock, and have a different frequency range than stock. Lots of people end up going with sharptones it looks like. I ended up painting my sharptone covers to match the orange of the vehicle. I think the real difference here is mostly preference. Can’t attest to the PIAA horns.
I see. For the Sharptones, do you really see the yellow grill from the outside if you decide to keep the stock color? My 2018 Crosstrek is Dark Blue.

Also, do you absolutely need the wiring harness and bracket in the bundle sold by subimods?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I see. For the Sharptones, do you really see the yellow grill from the outside if you decide to keep the stock color? My 2018 Crosstrek is Dark Blue.

Also, do you absolutely need the wiring harness and bracket in the bundle sold by subimods?
They’re kinda hard to see through the sock grill because of the grill shape itself. If you do want to see them, I put a grillcraft mesh grill on and you can see them very well with that.

You need some kind of wiring harness. They have a good one and I have theirs. The kit may not be the most cost effective way of getting horns, a bracket, and harness. I got mine separate from different retailers and saved some money.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You need the wiring harness if you want the full effect of the hella horns, they draw more power than the stock wiring can provide.

to further my earlier comment above, I think removing the horns from their original mounts to use the subimods bracket has reduced their volume. I have read that the original mounting tab is part of the horn's design. If I were to do it over I would either mount the Hellas as-is in the stock horn positions (with a wiring harness), or get the piaa horns listed above by Doca.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They’re kinda hard to see through the sock grill because of the grill shape itself. If you do want to see them, I put a grillcraft mesh grill on and you can see them very well with that.

You need some kind of wiring harness. They have a good one and I have theirs. The kit may not be the most cost effective way of getting horns, a bracket, and harness. I got mine separate from different retailers and saved some money.
Do you mind mentioning here where specifically did you buy those parts separately to save a bit of money?

You need the wiring harness if you want the full effect of the hella horns, they draw more power than the stock wiring can provide.

to further my earlier comment above, I think removing the horns from their original mounts to use the subimods bracket has reduced their volume. I have read that the original mounting tab is part of the horn's design. If I were to do it over I would either mount the Hellas as-is in the stock horn positions (with a wiring harness), or get the piaa horns listed above by Doca.
I see. With ease of installation as the advantage of the PIAA horns, what advantage do the Hella Horns have over them?

If you can mount the Hella Horns as-is in the stock horns positions, why would one still need that Subimod bracket?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The horns and torque solutions bracket I purchased from different sellers on eBay, and the harness from Subimods.

You could certainly try to mount them in the stock positions but I’m not sure if the bolts/holes are the right size.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
@Doca Do you have any further comments on the PIAA horns that you recommended? Thanks.
Not really.

I looked at several Hellas and a few other companies as well but knew that fancy looks would be unnoticed unless I addressed the grill. I kinda wanted to do it but it wasn't worth it to me.
I can barely see a portion of the upper mounter PIAA's silver label behind the grill but I know where to look. My wife didn't see it until I pointed it out.

I also knew that I'd have to install a new bracket to mount both front and center to get the visible affect of the Hellas. That would have made wiring and mounting easier. Also, it's easy to unclip the lower OEM horn harness.

In the end, I wanted a deeper tone and I got that from PIAA.

PIAA's Superior Bass Horn pipes 112 db (db means almost nothing once installed in the car) @ 330 Hz and 400 Hz.
The Sharp tone M23S announces themselves with 115 db @ 350 Hz and 415 Hz.
I had considered tri-tone Hella Super tone B113 (118db, 300/375/500 Hz) but at 123mm, I was concerned they'd be too large.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts