Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been wanting hood struts on the car since I bought it. The Redline kit looks nice, but for $100-140 I did not want to drill into my hood and rivet the mounts in (Plus I would have to spend more to buy a rivet tool haha).

I bought a kit off ebay last year that said it would fit on the 2nd gen, and it didnt. I tried to make it work and it just was not happening. Ended up getting my money back and went back to waiting.

A couple months ago another member posted theirs installed and I got excited! I asked where they got them and it was a different ebay listing. So I decided to buy them as well. This is the listing I purchased from: Fit For Subaru Crosstrek XV 2018 2019 Engine cover Hydraulic Brace Struts | eBay

I ordered them January 10 2020 and they arrived yesterday (Feb 12 2020) so it took just over a month to arrive from China. They did not come with any instructions so I figured id snap a few pics along the way and post up to help anyone in the future. It was pretty straight forward though.

This is everything that came in the kit

The white strip of sheet metal has the nuts tapped onto each end. These nuts are for the posts to bolt into.

I removed most of the tape as seen above.

The red circle is where they get installed

I bent the metal strip so the nut would sit under the hole and still be able to pull the strip off the nut once installed.

Remember to put your washer down before installing the post. I got it hand tight then pulled the white metal strip out then used a wrench to tighten it down fully.

I installed the hood brackets on the bottom stud (closest to the engine) on both sides.
Here is the passenger side

And drivers side

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics of them installed

Everything clears just fine. The first time closing the lid I went slow and peeked through the opening before fully closing.

The only thing I would say is that they open the hood JUST SLIGHTLY less than the OEM prop stick. Honestly not a huge deal and wouldnt hinder any basic work in the engine bay. It would have been kinda nice to get some extra opening clearance (Like when you use the prop to FULLY open the hood).

So minus a half to one inch difference in fully open hood, and the 4+ week wait time, these are well worth the money.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Excellent writeup! Hood props are my next install, but I'm looking for some that provide more clearance. I like that Subarus have the option to prop close to 90 degrees, so need to find the right prop kit. It might not be physically possible though, and I might just come up with a custom solution. I like that your kit doesn't require any drilling.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent writeup! Hood props are my next install, but I'm looking for some that provide more clearance. I like that Subarus have the option to prop close to 90 degrees, so need to find the right prop kit. It might not be physically possible though, and I might just come up with a custom solution. I like that your kit doesn't require any drilling.
Ya the drilling really turned me off to the other kit.

I would assume if I were to just swap out the shocks for slightly longer ones everything should work as is and open the hood more. Might be something to play around with in the future for myself haha.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Limited
9 Posts
That's really cool!! Thanks for taking the time to document it so thoroughly with great pics!

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,138 Posts
They included wrenches?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love the tires and wheels on your car! Can you give me the info as to what they are tires and wheels? I would like to bolt those onto my 2019 Crosstrek Plug-in hybrid. I know they are not the recommended low rolling resistance tires recommended for the plug in hybrid but I don't care. I would think they should bolt on and clearance would be the same?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the tires and wheels on your car! Can you give me the info as to what they are tires and wheels? I would like to bolt those onto my 2019 Crosstrek Plug-in hybrid. I know they are not the recommended low rolling resistance tires recommended for the plug in hybrid but I don't care. I would think they should bolt on and clearance would be the same?
Just replied in the other thread ;)

They included wrenches?
lol yup!
I didnt even use them. I used my ratcheting wrenches to make it a bit quicker.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,138 Posts
I never bought ratchetting wrenches. Although I have sockets of almost every description. If it'll fit, I just put sockets on the battery powered impact driver for just about everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, I'm excited to add these struts too. But I have a totally basic question that I've been wondering about since I first bought my 2019 Premium Crosstrek. What's the difference between XV and my non-XV badged Crosstrek? And of course I ask this before I spend the $$ on the struts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would assume if I were to just swap out the shocks for slightly longer ones everything should work as is and open the hood more. Might be something to play around with in the future for myself haha.
I don't think longer struts are needed. It's just the anchor point in the engine bay is so far forward from the anchor point on the hood. Grimmspeed makes a kit for 02-07 Impreza that allows the fully open "service position" of the hood. Think I'm going to experiment with their kit. Don't know if their hood brackets would work, and if not I'll just throw it on the 02 WRX.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think longer struts are needed. It's just the anchor point in the engine bay is so far forward from the anchor point on the hood. Grimmspeed makes a kit for 02-07 Impreza that allows the fully open "service position" of the hood. Think I'm going to experiment with their kit. Don't know if their hood brackets would work, and if not I'll just throw it on the 02 WRX.
That is partially it too.

Ive got a set on the STi, they are much shorter struts, but also bolt much more center of the fender compared to the radiator support.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very cool install. I might order a set, but since the shipping location is from Wuhan, China, I might hold off for a bit.

Reactions: DreWRX

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
440 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
39 Posts
Just got mine into day. Got it all hooked up and it looks like they sent a different black hood brackets but I was able to make it work. Thanks for the great write up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts