Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Crosstrek XV 2015
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am having trouble getting EcoHitch from US to Canada or at least looking to buy one in Canada. Due to the COVID19 - it is much harder to acquire it.

I have other choices with alternative brand like Curt or U-Haul but I like to ask those hitch that stick out the bottom does it really reduce the ground clearance or just the departure angle?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,210 Posts
Not so much the ground clearance, but definitely the departure angle. I got hung up on the rear hitch (Curt) a few times last fall while off roading. The problem was with washouts, had to take them sideways. The front bumper is also a problem with that. With my K02s and no lift, I have 9.2" clearance.

You should ask U-Haul if they can bring in an Eco-Hitch (with the removable receiver). They are pretty good at that.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Awesome it only affects the middle departure angle, just pulled the trigger on the Curt hitch for $214 CAD, I can't justify the price for the Eco-Hitch nearly $500 CAD with duties and taxes. That extra $300 CAD is going for the Yakima Singlespeed.
Yeah, doesn't affect the breakover angle. Curt is a good hitch otherwise. I pull my 3500 lb boat with it.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
@R P isn't much of a rule follower... 😸
That's true, to a point. But I might mention that outside of Canada and the US, the Crosstrek is approved for towing at 3000 or 3500 lbs. But I don't recommend anyone here doing that. And I only do it twice a year, in and out of mooring at my cabin, and no mountains to cross over.

If you think that is bad,...haha, you should have seen what I used to tow with my little old Ford Courier truck (probably about 80 hp) when I had a much bigger boat. It was a piece of junk (bought it for $500 and sold it years later for the same), but it did the job. When I sold it, tires were bald, brakes were bad, muffler bad, and could see the ground going by between my feet (rusted floorboard). You would have had me arrested if you saw me driving that thing. It was a long time ago, though, and I was dumb and poor then... Had to chuckle about the guy who bought it. It was for his new driver son. He figured, it couldn't go fast, and he would smash it up anyway, so better not spend much money on his first vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After blowing my transmission on a v6 Voyager from towing a Uhaul trailer (midsize boxed container) from east to west coast move, I promised myself of not towing anything without the transmission oil cooler, even staying within the allowed towing capacity. I've not towed anything with my Crosstrek but only had a small rooftop cargo box mounted, but despite the minimal towing capacity, the paranoia of anything going wrong with the CVT prevents me from ever putting on a hitch on this suby.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The good thing about the Crosstrek (and probably most cars now) is they have better cooling for oil, transmisison and coolant, all works together now. And we have both a coolant gauge and an oil gauge which can be shown on the middle upper dash (on Limited models). Mine never went above 109C, which well below "hot".

Having said that I would not even think of towing 3500 lbs (probably not 1500 either) across country, up and down mountain passes, and in hot weather.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
The good thing about the Crosstrek (and probably most cars now) is they have better cooling for oil, transmisison and coolant, all works together now. And we have both a coolant gauge and an oil gauge which can be shown on the middle upper dash (on Limited models). Mine never went above 109C, which well below "hot".

Having said that I would not even think of towing 3500 lbs (probably not 1500 either) across country, up and down mountain passes, and in hot weather.
Besides overheating the transmission, aren't there other safety considerations when towing a 3,500lb trailer on a car rated for 1,500lb? I wonder what's different about the other markets. Do you know which ones rate it at 3,500lbs (quite a bit more than the kerb weight of the vehicle itself)? Perhaps liability issues?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Besides overheating the transmission, aren't there other safety considerations when towing a 3,500lb trailer on a car rated for 1,500lb? I wonder what's different about the other markets. Do you know which ones rate it at 3,500lbs (quite a bit more than the kerb weight of the vehicle itself)? Perhaps liability issues?
I think in EU and/or Ozland, they rated it much higher. Yeah, I'm sure litigation happy lawyers in the US have something to do with that. Having said that, I drove very carefully with that weight. I first swerved it back and forth as I gained speed and tested brakes (boat has brakes, too) just to be sure it felt safe. Crosstrek towed it just fine, not much acceleration of course, but no problem at all once at freeway speeds. I am not even sure what the regs are in Canada. I think they have a formula to do with weights (incl tongue wt), but nothing to do with HP. I have had cops pass me, with nary a look.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
I think in EU and/or Ozland, they rated it much higher. Yeah, I'm sure litigation happy lawyers in the US have something to do with that. Having said that, I drove very carefully with that weight. I first swerved it back and forth as I gained speed and tested brakes (boat has brakes, too) just to be sure it felt safe. Crosstrek towed it just fine, not much acceleration of course, but no problem at all once at freeway speeds. I am not even sure what the regs are in Canada. I think they have a formula to do with weights (incl tongue wt), but nothing to do with HP. I have had cops pass me, with nary a look.
Not much acceleration? Can't imagine why... 😸

1 - 13 of 13 Posts