Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
2018 Crosstrek
Discussion Starter #22
I do NOT have auto lane keeping. I only have blind spot detection.

No tugging on the steering wheel just that I need to hold onto tightly to keep from moving into other lanes even when not windy. Doesn't feel like an alignment issue which I am familiar with. Tires are properly inflated. I've been driving the car for almost 3 years and still feel unsafe on the highway. Husband also notices this issue when he's driving.

My last car was a Subaru Legacy Wagon which I loved for both comfortable seats, the size of the car and easy to drive. The newer Outbacks and Foresters are too large for me. Impreza too small seat wise.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
I do NOT have auto lane keeping. I only have blind spot detection.

No tugging on the steering wheel just that I need to hold onto tightly to keep from moving into other lanes even when not windy. Doesn't feel like an alignment issue which I am familiar with. Tires are properly inflated. I've been driving the car for almost 3 years and still feel unsafe on the highway. Husband also notices this issue when he's driving.
This is precisely what I meant by "twitchy". The steering is way more "responsive" than any other car I've owned. I'm thinking that all the Subarus are this way now and probably most cars in general. I'm guessing once Eyesight has some of the more advanced technology as some other cars that actually pull the steering wheel to pull you back into the lane, the tighter steering is necessary for this.

My last car was a Subaru Legacy Wagon which I loved for both comfortable seats, the size of the car and easy to drive. The newer Outbacks and Foresters are too large for me. Impreza too small seat wise.
As I said, I don't think you will find the newer Outbacks, Foresters or Imprezas any different in the steering than the Crosstrek. Yes, I had two Outbacks (97 and 09) previous to the Crosstrek. The new ones are just too large and too high. The Impreza doesn't have the ground clearance I need. Though I'm surprised you found the seats smaller in the Impreza than the Crosstrek. I thought the Crosstrek was just a raised Impreza. Surprisingly, while the seats in the Crosstrek don't seem as immediately comfortable as my 09 Outback was, I actually feel less stiff and achy after a long trip in my Crosstrek than I did in my 09 Outback.

Registered
2020 Pure Red Crosstrek 6-spd, 2019 DGM Crosstrek 6-spd
When I drove my wife鈥檚 14 XV I thought it was fine. When I picked up my then brand new 19 the first thing I did notice was how sensitive the steering response was. You could change lanes if you sneezed and twitched the wheel a few degrees. It took a few miles to get used to, but I now prefer having more accurate directional control. My wife鈥檚 20 is exactly the same, and she had the same reaction I did. Both are Premium 6 speeds and we consider them 鈥渄river鈥檚 cars鈥.

Jake

Registered
2016 Crosstrek
When I was shopping in '13 I immediately crossed the Crosstrek off my list due the vague steering. The '16 is much improved.

Registered
I haven't had any issues with my 21 Base model. I know that on crowned roads a lot of cars have problems, especially with wide tires.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts