Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 crosstrek with a major wandering issue on the highway even without windy conditions. Both hands a must to stay in control. I do NOT have bells/whistles like Eyesight.

I was wondering if the newer models, 2020+ have this same issue.

I would not /lease purchase another crosstrek because of this issue.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,043 Posts
Wander was an issue decades ago, one I have never experienced unless my tires were not properly inflated. I go by the door placard but add 3 or 4 psi all around, keeping the pressure differential between front and rear. Have you had yours checked by a dealer? If the dealer can't find anything I'd go to a reputable alignment shop.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,067 Posts
Could be a tire issue. Try cross-rotating all four tires and see if anything changes. Also make sure all four tires are set at proper psi.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My '18 doesn't wander except on crowned roads. If the road is flat, I would suspect alignment also; given proper tire pressure.

artosa

Reactions: Butch_Coolidge

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a 16 that’s fine. 50k, and just about to replace factory tires before winter. I’ve kept them at 36 PSI, and rotated along with my oil change every 6k. Tires still have tread also. If people aren’t checking and adjusting pressure cold, and rotating regularly, problems happen. The details provided are not typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wander was an issue decades ago, one I have never experienced unless my tires were not properly inflated. I go by the door placard but add 3 or 4 psi all around, keeping the pressure differential between front and rear. Have you had yours checked by a dealer? If the dealer can't find anything I'd go to a reputable alignment shop.
the tires have been rotated and are properly inflated. Car has been checked by dealer a few times over the last year+ because of recall issues.

I've seen quite a few comments from others saying an alignment hasn't helped this issue.

We've had 2 Foresters and a Legacy Wagon that didn't have this issue.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,210 Posts
Ours is fine except in high wind but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my 2017 Impreza, adding a Perrin steering lockdown to take the slop out of the steering bushing made a big improvement, and having the front alignment adjusted to +.05 toe in (still within spec) also helped. There used to be some wandering and wind sensitivity but that's now fixed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
‘19 Limited here and today on a slightly bumpy road my Trek danced to the point I thought I had a wheel ready to fall off. Tire pressure is fine. The suspension is strange on this vehicle. The wandering comes and goes. Only 6850 miles on this thing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 2018 crosstrek with a major wandering issue on the highway even without windy conditions. Both hands a must to stay in control. I do NOT have bells/whistles like Eyesight.
Glitchy electric power steering? Something gone wonky in the steering rack itself? Just spit balling here.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
My crosstrek is the most stable vehicle I have ever had. Something is radically wrong. See another dealer

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
233 Posts
This does not happen with my '18.
Car has been checked by dealer a few times over the last year+ because of recall issues.
Did the dealer check specifically for this complaint? "Checking" because of the various recalls would probably not highlight this issue.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
69 Posts
Over-inflated tires can cause this. Maybe alignment (particularly caster) is off. If I were you, I’d get an alignment done; mention the problem you’re having to them before they start and ask for before & after printouts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try a few different highways.

Around us sometimes they put grooves that run the same direction as the road and they pull you all over the place. Doesn’t matter what car. They do it for winter to keep the salt on the road better.

·
Registered
120 Posts

The older models dont have it either, one anectdote does not a model wide problem make.

You car is misbehaving. Have you made any attempt to have it diagnosed at a reputable tire service , dealership or workshop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My ‘20 wanders from showroom on. Tires are perfectly inflated, and the alignment is good. I just have to steer it more often than other vehicles I have had To keep it straight down the road. I noticed it during the test drive, and since it was the first Subaru I had ever driven, I assumed it was normal.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found the Eyesight lane-keeping and lane-sway can provide a very noticeable tug on the steering wheel when it doesn't like ones driving. I turned those "features" off! But you said you don't have Eyesight. Then tire pressure and alignment are my bet.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Do you mean a wander as in a vague steering feel? Never noticed anything like this. Steering is definitely more sensitive (as in twitchy) than any other car I've ever driven. That took some getting used to.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Do you have auto lane keeping? I turned mine off which solved the problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts