Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
I haven't seen any actual high mile cars yet. My 13 limited (bought new) is approaching 190,000 miles. I bought it for my wife to replace an 08 Outback in 13 because we felt the new Outback had become too bloated. My older son then drove it for a while. Now, my younger son drives it. Little things are starting to go. Lic plate bulb went a year ago. Both tail light bulbs this month. Wiper motor about a month ago replaced from a pull-a-part junkyard from a 14 impreza for $17. Today, I pulled a blower motor from the same car for $20 as it's become intermittant. CVT at 53k miles. Oil consumption got a short block while valve springs under recall at 94k miles. 3 wheel bearings around the same time. CVT solenoid control block at 150k along with 2 CV axles, ball joint and 4th wheel bearing.

Of course, this is nothing compared to the teacher on Long Island who put 5 million miles on his Volvo P1800.

· Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
377 Posts
Of course, this is nothing compared to the teacher on Long Island who put 5 million miles on his Volvo P1800.
Actually, 3.25 million miles, but who's counting:

Irv Gordon's Volvo P1800

3-Million Mile Volvo P1800

And here I thought I was practically "living behind the wheel" after having driven nearly 412k miles in a 5-year-old 1978 VW Type 2 Westfalia over the course of 13 years. Of those 412k miles, around 187k miles were on forestry trunk roads and logging trails. I still miss "The Great Pumpkin", with his orange and green plaid interior. I don't miss doing road-side 18-ft-long clutch cable replacements in -25°C. Original factory Bosch flooded 12V battery to the bitter end!:eek: BTW, those old, heavy, chromed VW hubcaps make for excellent gumbo mud scoops for those times when you forget to pack a shovel.

Doubt I'll be around long enough to see if my Crosstrek will go "the distance" ...

· Registered
1,540 Posts
It's been a while since I've been on the forum. My 2015 MT Crosstrek will turn over 350,000 miles this week. There weren't many problems before 200,000 miles. Around 200,000 miles all four wheeling bearings and the propeller shaft were replaced. Last summer the horn and rear wiper motor needed replacing. This summer the egr valve and pump needed replacing (above 300,000 miles). Tomorrow I'll be replacing the muffler and center pipe - they aren't to bad but the joint between them is badly corroded and noisy. The car still runs well but is using more oil - maybe a quart every 3,000 miles.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I haven't seen any actual high mile cars yet. My 13 limited (bought new) is approaching 190,000 miles. I bought it for my wife to replace an 08 Outback in 13 because we felt the new Outback had become too bloated. My older son then drove it for a while. Now, my younger son drives it. Little things are starting to go. Lic plate bulb went a year ago. Both tail light bulbs this month. Wiper motor about a month ago replaced from a pull-a-part junkyard from a 14 impreza for $17. Today, I pulled a blower motor from the same car for $20 as it's become intermittant. CVT at 53k miles. Oil consumption got a short block while valve springs under recall at 94k miles. 3 wheel bearings around the same time. CVT solenoid control block at 150k along with 2 CV axles, ball joint and 4th wheel bearing.

😮

· Registered
4 Posts
When you start replacing engines, is it the same car? I get the body is, but the car is really the engine and transmission or it doesn't go.
I once had a hammer that was over 150 years old and passed through 5 generations in my family. It was completely original.... except that we had to sometimes replace the handle.... and the head :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Before getting our 2018 Crosstrek, we had a 2012 Outback Premium that we donated that had 240K miles. Some Body rust (live in finger lakes area of NY) but still running fine. Now we have 2018 Premium and 2021 Sport Crosstreks.

· Registered
102 Posts
194K on my 2015.
Here are the problems I have had so far but keep in mind that I am very "light" on the car and you can tell by the fact that I only had to replace the tires once at 110K. The current tires still have plenty of tread and I expect to replace them in the fall of 2023. Also notable is that at 194K I still get the average 32 to 35 mpg during normal weather conditions.
Up to 160K everything was good and other than the recommended maintenance done at the dealership, I only had to replace the alternator belt (it started to show cracks) windshield wipers and tires.
At around 160K, I was hearing a winding noise and was worried that it was coming from the transmission but it was a rear ball bearing which they replaced at the dealership and the noise went away.
At around 185K, the eyesight system started giving faults now and then until about 2K later that it stopped working altogether. The dealership read the code and pretty much said, they cannot fix it other than replacing the cameras unit and realigning it which would cost close to $4,000.00 so I will not fix it. It is very annoying because the dashboard looks like a xmas tree and cruise control has been disabled permanently.
At 190K I noticed that the noise from the rear came back and I figured that I need to replace the other rear ball bearing but the dealership told me that I need to replace both of them and some plates or something. I told them that it makes no sense that I need to replace the ball bearing that was replaced 30K ago and although the mechanic found the work in his record he looked perplexed, yet he did not say that we do not need to replace the one that was replaced.

Another thing that I do not really consider it to be a problem but I want to be fair and mention everything, is that the transmission has a very light kick going from "virtual" first to second gear when the car was sitting all night and it is cold out. It is so light that I have to pay attention to feel it and by the time I get a block away from home, it goes away.

At this point, I get the feeling that other than oil changes, the dealership does not want to work on the car and they want me to buy another one. However, other than the winding noise which is not really that bad, mechanically the car is running as good as when I bought it so I am in no mood to give up on a working car and put payments on my head just for the noise and the cruise control. At 194K I cannot get any meaningful money for it so it will save me more just by keeping it and I have decided that I will run it until I have a costly failure. I will do the scheduled maintenance of course.

I do not know how the transmission will do on yours since you tow often. I have a 3" hitch but I only put it on in case I need to tow something. I have towed weight of about 800lbs twice for less than 15 miles and my Ducati once for about 60 miles so I do not consider my transmission tested for towing.

So in conclusion, all I would change if I had to do it all over again is not to have the eyesight feature (which I believe is now standard) and that's because I think it is unfair that they stop the cruise control on the eyesight errors. Note that when the eyesight cannot "see" you still can engage non-adaptive cruise control but when it has an error cruise control is completely disabled. Maybe someone should start a law suit or something about that because it feels like they do it on purpose to force you to pay for the eyesight repair.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
194K on my 2015.
Here are the problems I have had so far but keep in mind that I am very "light" on the car and you can tell by the fact that I only had to replace the tires once at 110K. The current tires still have plenty of tread and I expect to replace them in the fall of 2023. Also notable is that at 194K I still get the average 32 to 35 mpg during normal weather conditions.
Up to 160K everything was good and other than the recommended maintenance done at the dealership, I only had to replace the alternator belt (it started to show cracks) windshield wipers and tires.
At around 160K, I was hearing a winding noise and was worried that it was coming from the transmission but it was a rear ball bearing which they replaced at the dealership and the noise went away.
At around 185K, the eyesight system started giving faults now and then until about 2K later that it stopped working altogether. The dealership read the code and pretty much said, they cannot fix it other than replacing the cameras unit and realigning it which would cost close to $4,000.00 so I will not fix it. It is very annoying because the dashboard looks like a xmas tree and cruise control has been disabled permanently.
At 190K I noticed that the noise from the rear came back and I figured that I need to replace the other rear ball bearing but the dealership told me that I need to replace both of them and some plates or something. I told them that it makes no sense that I need to replace the ball bearing that was replaced 30K ago and although the mechanic found the work in his record he looked perplexed, yet he did not say that we do not need to replace the one that was replaced.

Another thing that I do not really consider it to be a problem but I want to be fair and mention everything, is that the transmission has a very light kick going from "virtual" first to second gear when the car was sitting all night and it is cold out. It is so light that I have to pay attention to feel it and by the time I get a block away from home, it goes away.

At this point, I get the feeling that other than oil changes, the dealership does not want to work on the car and they want me to buy another one. However, other than the winding noise which is not really that bad, mechanically the car is running as good as when I bought it so I am in no mood to give up on a working car and put payments on my head just for the noise and the cruise control. At 194K I cannot get any meaningful money for it so it will save me more just by keeping it and I have decided that I will run it until I have a costly failure. I will do the scheduled maintenance of course.

I do not know how the transmission will do on yours since you tow often. I have a 3" hitch but I only put it on in case I need to tow something. I have towed weight of about 800lbs twice for less than 15 miles and my Ducati once for about 60 miles so I do not consider my transmission tested for towing.

So in conclusion, all I would change if I had to do it all over again is not to have the eyesight feature (which I believe is now standard) and that's because I think it is unfair that they stop the cruise control on the eyesight errors. Note that when the eyesight cannot "see" you still can engage non-adaptive cruise control but when it has an error cruise control is completely disabled. Maybe someone should start a law suit or something about that because it feels like they do it on purpose to force you to pay for the eyesight repair.
Thank you you for taking the time. The eyesight system drives me crazy, it can’t see at sun rise, sundown, in rain, in fog, on Tuesdays, so other than blind spot and back up, I have it turned off. I won’t miss cruise control if it goes out. I am impressed with the mpg you’re still getting.
I no longer let the dealership touch my car since they lied about rotating my tires (brand new tire in same position and direction) and checking the battery (died 2 days later) and giving me the print out with all the boxes checked. How can I trust they even changed the oil? Also I purchased the car with 28k, first oil change I “need new brakes”. Now at 115k and the brakes still good. They’re just looking to make money and figure a female has no clue. I am diligent with routine maintenance. Due to constant construction in the area I have had to replace the windshield and the aforementioned tire but otherwise I’ve had no issues. I don’t tow often, when I do my maximum weight with the teardrop is still under 900lbs. My previous Crosstrek, a 2016, (wasn’t set up to tow). I went through several tires, had several trips to dealership and other mechanics for knocking noises that no one could diagnose, needed new bearings at about 80k and got T-boned so I guess I’ve been waiting for something to give. I’m also getting 32-35. I’ll be happy to get 194k. Thank you for giving me details, I realize conditions won’t be the same for everyone but I was curious so see what an average life expectancy was possible. I’ll stop worrying about “needing” a new one!

· Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
172 Posts
My advise, check oil level and tire pressure at least every 1000 miles. Find a tire shop to rotate tires every oil change.
Most issues (rear wheel bearings, oil consumption, sway bar bushings) have been addressed by Subaru. The MY18 is included in the TSB for front sway bar bushings. They are 7.00 each at dealer.
Drain and refill on differentials and CVT might save you money down the road. If you have concerns on dealership, find an independent. None of the drivetrain maintenance is complex or difficult.
I hope to get 200,000 miles out of mine. Just getting to 11,000 miles.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My advise, check oil level and tire pressure at least every 1000 miles. Find a tire shop to rotate tires every oil change.
Most issues (rear wheel bearings, oil consumption, sway bar bushings) have been addressed by Subaru. The MY18 is included in the TSB for front sway bar bushings. They are 7.00 each at dealer.
Drain and refill on differentials and CVT might save you money down the road. If you have concerns on dealership, find an independent. None of the drivetrain maintenance is complex or difficult.
I hope to get 200,000 miles out of mine. Just getting to 11,000 miles.
Thank you! I appreciate this info! 👍🏽

· Registered
16 Posts
The family's MY18 might have low mileage, but I wouldn't describe it as reliable(numerous recalls, warranty & non warranty repairs). Having said that, I hope the car is righted, and we could call it "reliable" for the next 20k.
The family's MY18 might have low mileage, but I wouldn't describe it as reliable(numerous recalls, warranty & non warranty repairs). Having said that, I hope the car is righted, and we could call it "reliable" for the next 20k.
“The family's MY18 might have low mileage, but I wouldn't describe it as reliable(numerous recalls, warranty & non warranty repairs).”
So, like every single car manufacturer?

· Registered
931 Posts
“The family's MY18 might have low mileage, but I wouldn't describe it as reliable(numerous recalls, warranty & non warranty repairs).”
So, like every single car manufacturer?
No. Our Toyota's and Porsche's have been way better. It does not help that our local Subaru is horrid so I need to back it up service and repair wise for my elderly family member. We will see what the next 20K brings.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts