Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a 2021 Crosstrek. With only 2800 KM on the meter, I was surprised when I started hearing a high pitch noise cominng from the passenger side. It is not the fan motor or the AC, since I hear the noise when I turn these off. I hear this anoying noise when driving at low speed, after the engine has warmed. I went to see the dealer for this problem and, of course, the repair does not hear the noise... FYI, I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, so in winter, temperature goes from 10 above zero to minus 30 C.

What to do? Do other owners have heard this noise ?

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,287 Posts
Tell the little lady to be quiet?

I kid, I kid. I think there have been discussions. Do you have the crossbars on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even with the lady chatting away, the noise is still pretty clear !

I have seen the threads on the subject, but it seems to be about 2018-2019 models having issues with the blower fan. The repair told me they had fixed this issue on the 2021 version (but who knows?). Again, I am pretty sure it is an engine issue since it comes and goes and doesn't stop with the fan or AC being shut off... And no, the crossbars are not on. I have them in storage, and when I install them in a couple months, I will be sure to tie a stretch cord around the front bar to obliterate the hissing sound (trick I learnt with my Volkswagen Wagon at the time)...

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
719 Posts
Even with the lady chatting away, the noise is still pretty clear !

I have seen the threads on the subject, but it seems to be about 2018-2019 models having issues with the blower fan. The repair told me they had fixed this issue on the 2021 version (but who knows?). Again, I am pretty sure it is an engine issue since it comes and goes and doesn't stop with the fan or AC being shut off... And no, the crossbars are not on. I have them in storage, and when I install them in a couple months, I will be sure to tie a stretch cord around the front bar to obliterate the hissing sound (trick I learnt with my Volkswagen Wagon at the time)...
Do you have a video of the sound you are experiencing in order for us to help you?

·
Registered
187 Posts
When this happens try adjusting things in the cabin. Turn the air damper through all the settings, turn on defroster, turn on/off radio but turn volume all the way down/mute. Turn on dome lights and seat heaters etc. Also try just cracking each window just enough to release any air pressure that may be building inside.

Make sure the engine air intake box is properly sealed as well as the cabin air filter inside the glove box

If its an electrical noise/hum you may interrupt (change frequency) by loading the system.

If its air noise you may disturb the flow by switching the damper around, cracking window etc.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sorry, I can't manage to upload my video... I will try recording it directly with the app.
Try uploading to YouTube. Make sure it’s viewable by link only then you can paste the link in the thread.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Have you taken a look under the hood? Maybe something could be loose?
Does the sound only happen when you accelerate? I think it sounds like it could be coming from the engine, maybe a loose hose is causing it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the sound only happen when you accelerate? I think it sounds like it could be coming from the engine, maybe a loose hose is causing it?
Exactly, I think it does come from th engine. I hear it when I press on the gas pedal, at low regime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same issue as here (listen to the videos): Model Year 2018 and Newer - Noise coming from passenger side

Unfortunately no fix so far. Affects a number of crosstreks.

Can you let us know what your dealership finds out?
Good to know... I definetely will follow up. My dealership wasn't helpful, but I will continue pushing until they find out what it is and fix it. The manager suggested it was a normal injection noise, but it can't be normal. It also seems to affect recent Crosstreks, so time should tell. Just hoping to figure it out before the warranty expires. Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. I have the problem on mine intermittently but noticed whenever I fill up with higher octane fuel (ie 91) it doesn't make the sound. Try it as well in your next fill up and let me know if that works for you.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine had a similar sound like yours but it would happen with a cold engine. Once the engine was completely warmed up it stopped. I replaced my EGR and it stopped making the sound. But I only noticed the sound as the temperature started to drop (below 0 degree), never heard it during the summer time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts