Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing my headlights with something a little brighter, especially my High Beams. I know if you replace with LEDs, your DRLs will just remain on at the "high output" level. Is this the same situation with HID lights? I couldn't find an exact answer anywhere yet for this question.

Also for my knowledge, is the reason that the stock High beams double as the DRLs is due to the fact that the halogen brightness can be adjusted based upon power going to them?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
HID will not run on 6 volts.

Check my #3 post in the following;

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and help, good to know that info without having to try to figure it out the expensive way

·
Registered
19 Crosstrek Limited ORANGE
37 Posts
Most people don't want to upgrade the high beam bulbs to HID due to the 6-10 second warm up time. If you live out in the country and use your high beams frequently, it may be worth it though.

There are a few ways to get HIDs to work on the 6 volts from the DRL, both will result in the DRL being on at full brightness though.
1. Install a 9005 relay harness that will hook up to the battery, and you will also need to install a capacitor link as well.
2. Install a 9005 PWM module. I'd go with one from either Xenon Depot or GTR Lighting.

Instead of going HID, I would personally go with an LED bulb replacement. It will be on at full brightness as well, but that may not be an issue for you. The SL1 bulbs that were linked above are great bulbs, but they're not the brightest option out there. If you want the brightest option, I would go with either the GTR Lighting Ultra 2 bulbs or the S-V.4. Both will require a PWM module so the DRL does not flicker.

All three of those options can be found here: Headlight Upgrades

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people don't want to upgrade the high beam bulbs to HID due to the 6-10 second warm up time. If you live out in the country and use your high beams frequently, it may be worth it though.

There are a few ways to get HIDs to work on the 6 volts from the DRL, both will result in the DRL being on at full brightness though.
1. Install a 9005 relay harness that will hook up to the battery, and you will also need to install a capacitor link as well.
2. Install a 9005 PWM module. I'd go with one from either Xenon Depot or GTR Lighting.

Instead of going HID, I would personally go with an LED bulb replacement. It will be on at full brightness as well, but that may not be an issue for you. The SL1 bulbs that were linked above are great bulbs, but they're not the brightest option out there. If you want the brightest option, I would go with either the GTR Lighting Ultra 2 bulbs or the S-V.4. Both will require a PWM module so the DRL does not flicker.

All three of those options can be found here: Headlight Upgrades
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts