Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been poking around here on the forums about this issue of hesitation/bog/stuttering while accelerating in my Trek. I picked up my car in March and right around 5k miles, I started to notice that it stutters or hesitates when I'm trying to gently accelerate. The problem mainly seems to be in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears from 2k RPM to 4k RPM when it feels and sounds almost like VTEC kicks in. I'd say that of the threads I've read, it appears that a solid 97% of people saying they have this issue have the CVT, not the 6MT. And also one person saying that their Japan model had an issue

My car is a 19 Premium Manual with an SSD intake, K&N air filter, and a Nameless 5" muffler axleback.

Based off of what other people have said about their issues, I've been trying a couple different things and paying attention to how the car is behaving
1. AC causing hesitation
- Problem is more pronounced with AC on full blast and less so when AC is only on "1"
- Recirculate button seems to have no real effect on issue
- Problem persists even with no AC on or any sort of HVAC going on inside the car, but is greatly diminished
2. Super hot days
- Hesitation stops by to say "hello"
3. Overly humid days
- Hesitation seems to arrive quicker with or without AC on
4. ECU learning
- People saying ECU learns how you drive, but I can't imagine that it would just now at 5k miles decide it doesn't like me
5. Gas pedal
- If I plant my foot on the highway after a red light, I can get by just fine
- Downshifting (because people don't know how to drive nor use their blinkers) the hesitation and bog begins if I gently try to regain speed
- Engine sounds like it's trying to work super hard during bog period, but RPMs are going very slowly up (until 4k RPM VTEC)

I'm looking for any other solutions that people can offer or insight on their manuals having this same issue. Forum members keep talking of the Pedal Commander helping in some situations, but $300 for a "maybe" fix is a little out there for me right now. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I plan on buying a 2019 6MT soon and have read about this issue on this forum, the Imoreza 5 forum, Forester forum and reddit.

One potential remedy I did not see mentioned on this forum or your list is motor oil rated SN Plus, which helps low speed preignition. This was in the Forester forum and in a YouTube video. I believe I read where some have had the problem disappear temporarily after an oil change.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You should start by putting the stock air intake back on. I have had experience with previous cars that the maf sensor can be a bit sensitive without a tune. I can't speak for the crosstrek yet but I would suggest you begin there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should start by putting the stock air intake back on. I have had experience with previous cars that the maf sensor can be a bit sensitive without a tune. I can't speak for the crosstrek yet but I would suggest you begin there.
The only I have there is that the intake has been on since the car had ~60 miles on it. Can't imagine the MAF taking 5100 miles to catch up and be saying "wait a second, you don't belong here."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on buying a 2019 6MT soon and have read about this issue on this forum, the Imoreza 5 forum, Forester forum and reddit.

One potential remedy I did not see mentioned on this forum or your list is motor oil rated SN Plus, which helps low speed preignition. This was in the Forester forum and in a YouTube video. I believe I read where some have had the problem disappear temporarily after an oil change.
I used is Mobil 1 which is listed as an SN Plus rated oil

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been poking around here on the forums about this issue of hesitation/bog/stuttering while accelerating in my Trek. I picked up my car in March and right around 5k miles, I started to notice that it stutters or hesitates when I'm trying to gently accelerate. The problem mainly seems to be in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears from 2k RPM to 4k RPM when it feels and sounds almost like VTEC kicks in. I'd say that of the threads I've read, it appears that a solid 97% of people saying they have this issue have the CVT, not the 6MT. And also one person saying that their Japan model had an issue

My car is a 19 Premium Manual with an SSD intake, K&N air filter, and a Nameless 5" muffler axleback.

Based off of what other people have said about their issues, I've been trying a couple different things and paying attention to how the car is behaving
1. AC causing hesitation
- Problem is more pronounced with AC on full blast and less so when AC is only on "1"
- Recirculate button seems to have no real effect on issue
- Problem persists even with no AC on or any sort of HVAC going on inside the car, but is greatly diminished
2. Super hot days
- Hesitation stops by to say "hello"
3. Overly humid days
- Hesitation seems to arrive quicker with or without AC on
4. ECU learning
- People saying ECU learns how you drive, but I can't imagine that it would just now at 5k miles decide it doesn't like me
5. Gas pedal
- If I plant my foot on the highway after a red light, I can get by just fine
- Downshifting (because people don't know how to drive nor use their blinkers) the hesitation and bog begins if I gently try to regain speed
- Engine sounds like it's trying to work super hard during bog period, but RPMs are going very slowly up (until 4k RPM VTEC)

I'm looking for any other solutions that people can offer or insight on their manuals having this same issue. Forum members keep talking of the Pedal Commander helping in some situations, but $300 for a "maybe" fix is a little out there for me right now. Thanks in advance for any help
I think your issue is the heatsoaked intake, the original plastic intake resists heat radiation better than the metal ssd intake. For my case, I use AEM and it shows similar hesitation during stop and go traffic, and finally I put heatshield on intake to reduce the temperature. It did not address 100% but reduce temperature and make the hesitation unlikely happen

·
Registered
322 Posts
just did a round trip to mammoth (600mi and 1,200 ft to +9,000 ft elevation... if you are planning to pass, go up hill or accelerate and you are not above 3.5k you're gonna have a bad day. this engine/transmission is not for the faint of heart. when trying to maintain 65mph and a slight grade is ahead i MUST downshift to 5th. if it's more than a slight grade, then 4th here I come. I just went up the portal to mount Whitney and had to use 2nd gear for a good 5-6 miles. this is our lives now unless where you're at is flat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
just did a round trip to mammoth (600mi and 1,200 ft to +9,000 ft elevation... if you are planning to pass, go up hill or accelerate and you are not above 3.5k you're gonna have a bad day. this engine/transmission is not for the faint of heart. when trying to maintain 65mph and a slight grade is ahead i MUST downshift to 5th. if it's more than a slight grade, then 4th here I come. I just went up the portal to mount Whitney and had to use 2nd gear for a good 5-6 miles. this is our lives now unless where you're at is flat.

I went from the bay area to mammoth last week. I do this several times a year. each day I went into the white mountains for photography (more than 11k '). I was alone twice and once I had a passenger. big difference. I drive by myself 99.5% of the time and have never had anyone in the back seat. if you're travelling with 2 or more passengers I can see this being the wrong car for you.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I’ve had the same issue since day 1. However, note that it’s worse some days than most. That said, gentle acceleration in 2nd, 3rd and 4th is nearly a road hazard between approximately 2.3-3.5k rpm.
I don’t use my AC so I have no idea if that makes it worse.
I’d love to have resolution but like a kid with asthma, I just accept that that’s the way it is.

Hmmm... maybe some sort of inhaler strapped to the intake manifold? :grin:

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are driving normally on a hot day with A/C on and shift from first to second without keeping revs above say 2.5k you will push the pedal down to accelerate in 2nd but the engine hesitates or acts like it’s misfiring but slowly will pull up to the desired RPM until that 2.5/3k range and then it will start revving like normal again.
I double checked with scan tool and live data they are simply not giving the engine fuel as the pedal sensors and everything else are fine, it is just tuned to cut fuel at bad times it seems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are driving normally on a hot day with A/C on and shift from first to second without keeping revs above say 2.5k you will push the pedal down to accelerate in 2nd but the engine hesitates or acts like it’s misfiring but slowly will pull up to the desired RPM until that 2.5/3k range and then it will start revving like normal again.
I double checked with scan tool and live data they are simply not giving the engine fuel as the pedal sensors and everything else are fine, it is just tuned to cut fuel at bad times it seems.
Well that's just dumb. So basically rev the hell out of it if I want to use my ac.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just want to jump in and say I have this exact same issue. I have a 18 manual and for me it's between 2k and 3k rpm once I get past 3 she has "pep". I'm fully stock and live in Florida. So your high humidity and temperature ideas ring true with me. I have a hard time consistently reproducing the problem so I haven't talked to the dealership about it yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just want to jump in and say I have this exact same issue. I have a 18 manual and for me it's between 2k and 3k rpm once I get past 3 she has "pep". I'm fully stock and live in Florida. So your high humidity and temperature ideas ring true with me. I have a hard time consistently reproducing the problem so I haven't talked to the dealership about it yet.
As of right now, even without the AC on, I'm still getting the issue

·
Registered
134 Posts
at times i feel a lack of power when shifting with the AC on for sure. i like the car just fine. i don't think it is a race car and the RPM's have to monitored accordingly.i have not been on any steep inclines yet but imagine a lot of downshifting will be necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
6MT here. 23k miles on my 2018. Having the same issues with bogging when accelerating. Extremely frustrating, no check engine light and no codes. After keeping an OBD scanner on it for quite some time I noticed that under acceleration the MAF readings were fluctuating by 20 to 30 g/s with the throttle steady at wide open. Thought for sure that was my problem. Replaced MAF and still having exact same symptoms. Mine is bad, stutters and jerks and falls flat when accelerating. I've had it to the dealer twice and they can't recreate. I'm hoping someone gets to the bottom of this. I plan on driving it to dealer when acting up to have them ride along.

·
Registered
322 Posts
any of you manual guys have any oil residue on the rear side of your oil pan? above the drain bolt?

·
Registered
11 Posts
N
any of you manual guys have any oil residue on the rear side of your oil pan? above the drain bolt?

Not that I know of but will check. Do you think this may be a clue to what's going on or is this an unrelated issue you are experiencing?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts