Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - If anyone has purchased a Crosstrek Sport over the past few months I'd sure appreciate any information on the OTD price paid (before taxes).

Daughter is in Colorado and I'm in Cleveland. I have done car purchases over the phone is the past and will probably send emails this time to get quotes.

Does anyone believe that now that it's October that there is any leverage on a new 21 with the 22 models coming in soon?

Any dealer experiences in Colorado to share?

Any dealer between Cleveland and Denver to target?

Thanks for your time - Appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,412 Posts
My understanding is that there's no leverage to be had at all when buying new cars right now, there just aren't enough cars being made to meet demand. The dealership by me is basically just a big empty parking lot.

That said, you could try a broker like CLS Cars. I had good experience with them. It was nearly the same price as the lowest dealership in AZ and without the sales pressure and other BS. Maybe they can order a car from the factory.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,407 Posts

Lots of discussion there.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I bought a new Sport in July. Had selected one in transit optioned like I wanted in early June as the lots were bare. Best I could do was $500 off + an additional $500 from Subaru for being a previous customer. There were still deals in May but after Memorial day, things seemed to of went south. Today, it's even worse. There are zero Crosstreks anywhere in my area and most everything inbound is already gone. So to say you do not have any leverage would be an understatement. I would expect to pay sticker price, some areas maybe even more.

There used to be a big Subaru dealer on here from Colorado that was a site sponsor, Heuberger Subaru. They had a good reputation with the buyers. If you look at their website, there are zero Crosstreks on their lot and zero showing as in transit. Same situation as in my area. With winter coming and the chip shortage continuing, I can't see it getting any better.

What you will probably have to do is find a dealer you are comfortable with and see what they have in the pipeline. Looks like most everything in transit was already sold so being She is in Colorado, Heuberger might be a good place to start. I'd try and see if you can connect with the contact from on here. He still has a page on their site but it may be out of date?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
240 Posts
You can try Sommer's Subaru in Mequon, WI. That is where I got my best price out of the 23 dealerships I emailed the exact build I wanted. I placed an order though.

Back in '99 I ordered a '00 Firehawk from the old Jay Pontiac in Bedford, OH from Mark Timen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When we purchased our Crosstrek, we found the best deal for a MT on Carvana, surprisingly. It might be worth while searching similar online car sellers like Carvana, Vroom, or Trucar. Just be mindful of where the car is coming from, as some may be higher risk to potential rust than others. They gave us the option to pick it up from a local place or get it delivered right to our door. We opted to pay to have it delivered. Overall it was a very seamless process and definitely worth not having to put up with a dealership and their shenanigans.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,474 Posts
Valley Subaru (Longmont) and Heuberger (Colo Springs) offered very competitive prices pre-pandemic when negotiating on-line. Don't know about today.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
Valley Subaru (Longmont) and Heuberger (Colo Springs) offered very competitive prices pre-pandemic when negotiating on-line. Don't know about today.
Yes, Heuberger were offering $1K under invoice. Clayton was the manager there who used to be a vendor here. Doubt you'll get that today, though...

·
Registered
578 Posts
The other day I was on the local highway and passed a loaded car carrier. Just as I was passing I noticed it was loaded with Subarus. Might have been my imagination but in hindsight I seem to recall there was a line of vehicles following it...probably wanting to see where it ended up.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The other day I was on the local highway and passed a loaded car carrier. Just as I was passing I noticed it was loaded with Subarus. Might have been my imagination but in hindsight I seem to recall there was a line of vehicles following it...probably wanting to see where it ended up.
They are shipping but most likely all sold before they hit the dealer lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would encourage you to Google
"Subaru & GM halting production amid chip shortage"
"container ship crisis".
"USA is short 60,000 truck drivers vs demand."
I'm pretty sure the only leverage you will have is buying that super ugly Crosstrek in stock and having it repainted. Probably cheaper.
Recovery is not around the corner either.
If you find one buy it and drive it out to her. Good excuse to visit.
Good Luck

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
So, you hijacked it, right?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought ours a few months ago in Plano, TX. We live in a very remote part of the state, 8 hours away. We knew we wanted a 2021 Sport in the Mag Grey but the closest dealers to use, each 3 hours away only had about 1-3 Sports on the lot at any given time, and never in the color we wanted. When I found ours in Plano I called them and reserved it immediately. It wasn't on the lot yet, we had to wait about a month before it was delivered. The dealer had roughly 10% of their usual inventory on the lot and said they were consistently selling these cars before they hit their lot. I knew there was going to be no way to get any sort of price break and that was fine as we needed reliable transport. Even though they knew they had a sale in the bag there was no markup BS, nor did they try to sell us anything else. I was actually really impressed with Ewing Subaru of Plano. It's HARD to get a car right now. Also as a former CO resident, I'd try buying anywhere else. Subarus in CO are beyond popular. Good luck! We really love our Sport.

·
Registered
2021 Ice Silver Crosstrek Sport
4 Posts
I purchased a 2021 Ice Silver Crosstrek Sport in late August 2021 in the NY metro area. I needed to replace my dying 2009 Impreza sedan and went online on a Sunday night to check local inventory. I hadn't done any research on the Crosstrek, but had driven a 2018 Premium a few years back and was impressed with it. A few large dealers had various trim models listed on their websites, some with prices and others not. I found a vehicle in transit at a dealer I was familiar with and sent an inquiry email to them. I received an email early Monday morning stating the vehicle was available for my inspection when it was scheduled to arrive on September 16th. In other words, it wasn't sold. That was good news and I promptly put a $1,000 deposit on the vehicle. Over the next two weeks, I secured Subaru financing for 0.9% APR and informed my insurance company of the impending addition to my auto policy. The arrival date was moved up to September 14th, but the vehicle arrived at the dealership on September 10th. I picked it up on September 14th. I paid sticker price and worked the cost of the the Subaru extended warranty into the finance payments.

Lessons learned:
1. No dealer is selling Crosstreks below sticker. They might offer other incentives, but the prices are firm.
2. Many dealers are adding "market adjustment" surcharges of $2,500 to the sticker prices. Those are the dealers with the most cars in inventory/in transit.
3. The only major perk these days is the Subaru 0.9% or 1.9% APR financing, depending on the length of the loan.

I've been buying new & used cars since 1978 and this is my first internet purchase. Thankfully I located a car that had the options I wanted at a reputable dealer. I paid sticker price, but no markups. I've paid sticker price for cars in the past because they were hard to locate models so I know the drill. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I purchased a 2021 Ice Silver Crosstrek Sport in late August 2021 in the NY metro area. I needed to replace my dying 2009 Impreza sedan and went online on a Sunday night to check local inventory. I hadn't done any research on the Crosstrek, but had driven a 2018 Premium a few years back and was impressed with it. A few large dealers had various trim models listed on their websites, some with prices and others not. I found a vehicle in transit at a dealer I was familiar with and sent an inquiry email to them. I received an email early Monday morning stating the vehicle was available for my inspection when it was scheduled to arrive on September 16th. In other words, it wasn't sold. That was good news and I promptly put a $1,000 deposit on the vehicle. Over the next two weeks, I secured Subaru financing for 0.9% APR and informed my insurance company of the impending addition to my auto policy. The arrival date was moved up to September 14th, but the vehicle arrived at the dealership on September 10th. I picked it up on September 14th. I paid sticker price and worked the cost of the the Subaru extended warranty into the finance payments.

Lessons learned:
1. No dealer is selling Crosstreks below sticker. They might offer other incentives, but the prices are firm.
2. Many dealers are adding "market adjustment" surcharges of $2,500 to the sticker prices. Those are the dealers with the most cars in inventory/in transit.
3. The only major perk these days is the Subaru 0.9% or 1.9% APR financing, depending on the length of the loan.

I've been buying new & used cars since 1978 and this is my first internet purchase. Thankfully I located a car that had the options I wanted at a reputable dealer. I paid sticker price, but no markups. I've paid sticker price for cars in the past because they were hard to locate models so I know the drill. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the info. It was way to easy to add a few things to the car and get an MSRP of exactly 30K. I remember another family member buying a 2016 Outback Premium with a few extra options and price then was 25.8 or so plus tax and tags.... crazy!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
240 Posts
I've been buying new & used cars since 1978 and this is my first internet purchase.
IMO, it's the only way to do it these days. It's super easy to build your vehicle online and then email a mass of dealerships in the area you are willing to travel and have them give you their best price on the exact build you want. All you need is a couple willing to deal and then you can leverage one against the other until one is left standing, all while sitting at home on the computer. No setting foot into the dealership, you get to play on your own ball field with your own ball. I won't do it any other way. I've been doing it this way since '99.

In the case of my Crosstrek, I emailed 23 dealerships in mid June of this year. Only had three willing to deal. Played one against the other till there was one left. Ended up with getting over 10% off MSRP and over $1,000 under dealer invoice. Took delivery of my '21 Limited on August 12th.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IMO, it's the only way to do it these days. It's super easy to build your vehicle online and then email a mass of dealerships in the area you are willing to travel and have them give you their best price on the exact build you want. All you need is a couple willing to deal and then you can leverage one against the other until one is left standing, all while sitting at home on the computer. No setting foot into the dealership, you get to play on your own ball field with your own ball. I won't do it any other way. I've been doing it this way since '99.

In the case of my Crosstrek, I emailed 23 dealerships in mid June of this year. Only had three willing to deal. Played one against the other till there was one left. Ended up with getting over 10% off MSRP and over $1,000 under dealer invoice. Took delivery of my '21 Limited on August 12th.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did they have vehicles in stock then? What I am finding when I inquire is that though there are vehicles in transit to the dealership, they are already spoken for. BTW I read your other post about this and am in contact with the dealer you purchased yours from - we'll see and thank you!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts