Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lately I have been hearing sound when I'm driving it. Like a howling or gurgling noise that isn't so loud when I accelerate past 45 in my Subaru 2015 crosstrek. Is it possibly the differential gear oil needs changed.or a bad differential. I didn't realize that gear 0il needs changed every 30,000 miles. I know it not the wheel bearings too. It's either coming from rear or front we are not sure. We were gonna take it somewhere to change the gear oil if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
855 Posts
What's the mileage on the car? Where does the noise come from (front, rear)? Gurgling... any correlation with hungry you are?
Hard to pinpoint what's happening based on your description.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the mileage on the car? Where does the noise come from (front, rear)? Gurgling... any correlation with hungry you are?
Hard to pinpoint what's happening based on your description.
142,000 miles are on my crosstrek. It sounds like the front. Its like a howling noise. It's like a loud howling noise and it seems to get quieter when I go above 40mph but still hear it not as loud. When I'm at a complete stop it goes away to but then starts up loud again. :oops::oops:

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
257 Posts
Assuming this is the CVT. I would venture it is the CVT giving out. Sounds just like a Nissan CVT failure description as well as videos you can find of Subaru cvts that failed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick test would be to jack up one wheel at a time and then grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and slightly shake the tire. Proceed at the 12 and 6 position, feel for any looseness or wobble. Wheel bearings for sure if slight movement is felt.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
257 Posts
Quick test would be to jack up one wheel at a time and then grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and slightly shake the tire. Proceed at the 12 and 6 position, feel for any looseness or wobble. Wheel bearings for sure if slight movement is felt.
As noted above op is confident it’s not wheel bearings.

also, wheel bearings do not get loud up to a certain mph and then go away. Op states the noise climbs till 45 and then is not as loud. Wheel bearings increase in sound level and obnoxiousness in a manner proportionate to speed increase.

I am leaning toward CVT failure or perhaps differentials, in which more rapid lubrication from the existing fluid quiets down howl which explains less noise at higher speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts