Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Went through this forum, went through the internet, stuck on some tire choices. What it comes down to is i would probably be happy with all of these choices but looking for some thoughts from the forum.

Looking for an all season. I'm a big believer in snow tires but we just dont need them in snowy mass. I even have them on my Tacoma due to long commutes. Wife's a teacher so there really is no need to go all out. All seasons are the pick.
First thing that comes to mind is a quiet ride. Stock G91's are getting loud on the highway. Grip in rain, OK in snow, decent mileage, no real budget, just want a good tire that fits the bill. Do not need or want AT tires. This is our travel car
My research has brought me to
1. Goodyear assurance weatherready
2. General Altimax RT43
3. Michelin crossclimate2
4. Michelin Defender t+h

I mean these seem like the top pick, but would some some thoughts on real world experience, or just thoughts from people who have also done this research. Im leaning the RT43 because they seem to hit all the points while being the cheapest of the group.

Thanks all
Another vote for the CrossClimate 2. I have them on our 2016 Honda Civic and have been very impressed with how quiet they are (despite the open tread look), excellent traction in rain and snow as well. Plan on installing a set on my daughter's 2016 CrossTrek at the end of the summer. Only downside is they are a bit more expensive and often out of stock due to their popularity.

· Registered
1 Posts
Went through this forum, went through the internet, stuck on some tire choices. What it comes down to is i would probably be happy with all of these choices but looking for some thoughts from the forum.

Looking for an all season. I'm a big believer in snow tires but we just dont need them in snowy mass. I even have them on my Tacoma due to long commutes. Wife's a teacher so there really is no need to go all out. All seasons are the pick.
First thing that comes to mind is a quiet ride. Stock G91's are getting loud on the highway. Grip in rain, OK in snow, decent mileage, no real budget, just want a good tire that fits the bill. Do not need or want AT tires. This is our travel car
2. General Altimax RT43
4. Michelin Defender t+h

I mean these seem like the top pick, but would some some thoughts on real world experience, or just thoughts from people who have also done this research. Im leaning the RT43 because they seem to hit all the points while being the cheapest of the group.

Thanks all
I have a 2013 Crosstrek and have been researching tires as well. I’m glad the cross climate 2’s made your cut, because they seem to be one of the better ones for this Subaru. I currently have Michelin Defender M+S 101H’s (I bought it like that) that I hate. My last 2013 ‘trek I put the Firestone Weathergrip tires on it. I really loved everything about those tires…except the price. Our NY winters can be brutal so I wanted to be ready for whatever comes at us!!

· Registered
21 Posts

2. General Altimax RT43
4. Michelin Defender t+h

Thanks all
I think the best tires are the Michelin Cross Climate 2's Costco has a sale $150.00 off just about every other month. A friend put them on and he raves about them plus the reviews are great. Not cheap but worth every penny. I will be putting a set on my grandsons Crosstrek before this coming winter.

· Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,776 Posts

· Registered
2021 Sport
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Second update, i actually have news to report. short time frame, but just took a 1200 mile road trip as soon as they were installed. A long road trip on new tires is a rather good way to evaluate these for summer riding. You are hyper focused on the differences from the previous tire as well as its general performance

MPG - No change, averaged 31 mpg over highways, back roads and doddling around national park roads. I hate that i have to say this here everytime, but yes verified and does match the cars mpg gauge.
Ride - quieter than the geolanders that they replaced, absorb more road noise. Response is slightly less, very slight, but nothing to worry about. The g91's were smooth and hard as rocks. I think the cc's handle just fine and feel confident cornering. You feel sticky to the road. For a deep tread the ride is remarkable.
Limited wet riding but when i have no complaints. Flew through a couple puddles and water evacuated great.

My initial summary is this. I held off on wanting this tire because well, its different. You see the tread and worry about road noise, mpg, etc. Its not a worry, just like any other tire. With defenders on my Tacoma and crossclimates on the trek, they may be the only tires i buy. Always felt great with Michelin's. They add a nice aggressive look without going overboard.
I can already tell they will perform fine in the snow, but will update when i get there. I already see myself buying this tire when the next set comes up. I feel i have to say something negative. The deep tread does gather more rocks and had a rather sharp one get stuck on a dirt road. No real damage , just one of the treads has a little pucker. On scarified asphalt, there are some interesting sounds at times. Minor things.
I see why these are highly rated.

· Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
434 Posts
Everyone I know that has the CC2's love them. however rather than the general tires you listed (which I've used and liked) there is a new more comparable to the CC2 tires General ALTIMAX 365 AW, I say more comparable because they are all weather tires like the cross climate's both are snow rated with the 3PMS symbol.

· Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at the Michelin Cross Climate 2s and had all but finalized my decision. For what it's worth, the tire center guy at my subaru shop said they are seeing very low mileage (~32K - 38K) on these tires. He suggests this is particular to particulars of the Subaru all wheel drive system. He is recommending the Continental General Altimax 365 AWs. My research hasn't turned up specific low mileage info, but the Altimax seem to be performing quite well for Subarus.
Just saying...

· Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,556 Posts
I was looking at the Michelin Cross Climate 2s and had all but finalized my decision. For what it's worth, the tire center guy at my subaru shop said they are seeing very low mileage (~32K - 38K) on these tires. He suggests this is particular to particulars of the Subaru all wheel drive system. He is recommending the Continental General Altimax 365 AWs. My research hasn't turned up specific low mileage info, but the Altimax seem to be performing quite well for Subarus.
Just saying...
Try redeeming the Michelin tire mileage warranty.
60,000 Miles Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty
These MICHELIN® tires carry a limited warranty in addition to the standard materials and workmanship warranty for treadwear or mileage.

- Available on: CrossClimate® 2
- Speed Rating: H , V

· Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium, 6 Speed Manual
26 Posts
My all season tire of choice for the last 3 years is the Yokohama AVID ASCEND LX.
I love it for all driving styles. It is good at everything, cornering, quiet ride, comfort, steering precision, rolling resistance, rain and snow. If you try it you will not be disappointed.

They improved the handling of my 2019 Crosstrek Premium so much that I won’t buy a different tire. When my new 2023 Crosstrek premium, 6 speed, arrives this month, I will throw away the oem tires and put on the Yokohama AVID ASCEND LX immediately and enjoy the precise steering responsiveness and all the other qualities. The difference is day and night.

I want my tire to be good at everything, the AVID ASCEND LX is that tire.

· Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
434 Posts
My all season tire of choice for the last 3 years is the Yokohama AVID ASCEND LX.
I love it for all driving styles. It is good at everything, cornering, quiet ride, comfort, steering precision, rolling resistance, rain and snow. If you try it you will not be disappointed.

They improved the handling of my 2019 Crosstrek Premium so much that I won’t buy a different tire. When my new 2023 Crosstrek premium, 6 speed, arrives this month, I will throw away the oem tires and put on the Yokohama AVID ASCEND LX immediately and enjoy the precise steering responsiveness and all the other qualities. The difference is day and night.

I want my tire to be good at everything, the AVID ASCEND LX is that tire.
I'm sure these are great tires, I've always liked Yokohama, but they are all season not all weather, they are not snow rated with the 3PMS symbol

> What We Liked: A luxurious ride and competent light snow traction <<
I think the OP was looking for snow capability too.

· Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium, 6 Speed Manual
26 Posts
The OP first post said he was looking for an all season tire. The Yokohama AVID ASCEND LX are a good choice for most drivers not wanting the compromises that an all weather tire has in the summer heat.

· Registered
2021 Sport
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, took till the end of January to get a good snow ride in.
Drove home from work, 24 miles, wet snow falling heavy so it was slick. Im happy. I dont think they are as good as my old blizzaks for steering on ice, but i think that is to be expected. Im not saying theyre bad at steering, just not as good as a softer compound with thousands of sipes. The cc2's are 3 peak, but also all season. In deeper snow they are wonderful, they grip the snow well and steer good. Stopping is fine, again less so on ice, but fine. I have a steep driveway, probably said that 100 times this thread. Without even getting a head start, i methodically drove up my drive, about 4 inches of snow with ice-ish underneath, without a hiccup. I would say they ride as expected. Better than most all seasons, not quite as good as dedicated snows. Depending on mileage, would probably buy again.

· Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
131 Posts
I have the Crossclimate2's and I love them.
I have hearing aids and can hear an ant fart, and actually less noise than stock.
They are killer in the rain as well as dry handling.
Check out this Tirerack link:
I drive the same trails that I did with my BFG KO2's no problem camping and fishing!
Plus they look cool!
That garage setup looks awesome, I am jealous 👍.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts