Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
...My advice is to use the car for a few months before deciding to go through the hassle and expense of installing new speakers. ...
I agree with this. And if I had known what a long and twisted path I would take, I probably would have just lived with the original stereo. My Crosstrek is just the second new car that I have owned (11 total) that is completely rattle free. I was very afraid of causing rattles or door water leaks. Now that I have finished, still no rattles. I hope the water barriers in the door are still good. On the other hand, none of those cars had a stereo as bad as the Crosstrek, even on day one.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,823 Posts
Jeff999, you may be on to something. On my 2009 Impreza and 2016 Crosstrek, I upgraded the speakers the first week. Maybe I should have waited.

Reactions: Jon_Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Let me just tell you. You are a godsend! The people at this website are incredible with customer support! I went back and forth with Brian via email over the course of 3 or 4 days to get everything that I need to get my future system working. I will be posting a full write up when my car gets here and including (with his permission of course) the email thread to show just how great this company and Brian is! Thank you so much for recommending them to me!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I agree with this. And if I had known what a long and twisted path I would take, I probably would have just lived with the original stereo. My Crosstrek is just the second new car that I have owned (11 total) that is completely rattle free. I was very afraid of causing rattles or door water leaks. Now that I have finished, still no rattles. I hope the water barriers in the door are still good. On the other hand, none of those cars had a stereo as bad as the Crosstrek, even on day one.
With the system that I'm installing (nothing crazy) I'm sure I'll be causing some rattles in the vehicle. I plan to combat these rattles as they happen, but also going to do my damnedest to avoid them at all. As I upgrade the speakers in the doors I will also be installing Noico sound deadening material in the doors and around spots where wiring harnesses touch metal and can vibrate. It doesn't take much more time to just do it right the 1st time instead of half-assing it then having to go back and take the entire car apart again to chase rattles.

If I may ask, and this might be a silly question, why would upgrading the sound system cause leaks? From what I can tell from YouTube videos all the wiring harnesses are accessable without touching the plastic water barrier. Unless you added sound deadener like I plan to do. I'm hoping I can get away with peeling the water barrier away from the door frame without ripping anything and without messing up the black goo that holds it in place. If I do mess up the black goo I'll have to find out what that goo is and reapply it accordingly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Jeff999, you may be on to something. On my 2009 Impreza and 2016 Crosstrek, I upgraded the speakers the first week. Maybe I should have waited.
What's the sense of having a car if you can't change it and make it "yours"? Different strokes for different folks I guess. But I find customizing a popular car to make it "mine" very satisfying.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
If I may ask, and this might be a silly question, why would upgrading the sound system cause leaks?

I can't think of any reason a door would leak after an audio mod. The only reasons an undamaged door will leak are:
1. By design: water will build in the doors from condensation and possibly weep in from where the window and handle are connected; this is why it has a drain hole.
2. By design: You door drain hole is plugged (replace door card with a clear panel and buy some fish or unplug the hole).

You could get a leak through the firewall if you're not careful when passing battery power to an amp.

As a side note: I did a 100% upgrade and added a sub. After 3.5 years, the worst rattle is from the dashcam attached to my mirror, and it ain't that bad (until I want it to be). The second largest offender is stuff in my glove box and door pockets (glaring at the wife) . I'm sure I have a few more smaller rattles and you can probably hear some from the outside, but I haven't found them because road noise handles it and and don't care so much what people think when I drive by.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
Rattles annoy me more than just about anything else about a car. I used Best Buy to do a lot of the installation, so quality control was out of my hands. They did a good job, so I'm happy.

When I pulled the door panel a second time in my speaker installation, I noticed that the plastic had come loose from the sticky goo in one spot. I once had a BMW that leaked water due to poor door panel installation by the dealer after a wing mirror replacement. I didn't notice until mildew had permeated the carpet. The car smelled bad for the rest its time with me.

I hesitate to modify any new car because, in my experience, a car is never as well put together as when it comes from the factory.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have a 21 Limited and thought I would upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amp. I wasn't in love with the sound at first but they seemed to get better after a while. Could be that I got used to it but also remember that speakers need to be broken in. I'm now very happy and glad I didn't upgrade. My advice is to use the car for a few months before deciding to go through the hassle and expense of installing new speakers. I'm very glad I waited and now see no reason to do this.
you're in denial :LOL: . OEM speakers are paper junk and sound horrible. i replaced all my speakers with Infinity Primus speakers and the improvement is dramatic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Rattles annoy me more than just about anything else about a car. I used Best Buy to do a lot of the installation, so quality control was out of my hands. They did a good job, so I'm happy.

When I pulled the door panel a second time in my speaker installation, I noticed that the plastic had come loose from the sticky goo in one spot. I once had a BMW that leaked water due to poor door panel installation by the dealer after a wing mirror replacement. I didn't notice until mildew had permeated the carpet. The car smelled bad for the rest its time with me.

I hesitate to modify any new car because, in my experience, a car is never as well put together as when it comes from the factory.
Oh ok I get it now. I'm not so much worried about the rattles because I'll be insulating everything I touch and as far as leaks go, you can just replace or add to the butyl (black goo) with either butyl tape (my choice this go around) or same in caulk form

·
Registered
629 Posts
I installed the Subaru Rocker Fosgate kit yesterday. Was fairly straight forward, just required some patience with all the stuff needing tore apart on the dash. Had the PowerPoint instructions on a laptop in the car to aid installation. The only thing done different was that I did not completely remove the radio. There are 14 plugs on it that need disconnected. I only disconnected the one at the top and then the 2 that went into the harness when needed. Makes a huge difference. It is audiophile quality, not really. But everything was plug and play, sounds good enough for me. The source seems to have a very dramatic effect on what it sounds like. The tuner on this car and the last one seem to be not very good. Switch to Sirius or Bluetooth, night and day different.

Here are the front speakers, original vs the replacement. And a picture of the amp install. The kit only has the under seat duct extension for the left side. The right side is not blocked by the amp so I guess that's why they left it out of the newer kits. We had the part number for the right side extension in another thread if someone installs an aftermarket amp and it blocks the duct.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
With respect to the air duct - I was concerned about blowing hot air across the amp in winter.

Looks like good protection from feet on the amp. My amp has exposed wiring harnesses. If I ever have a back seat occupant, I will have to make sure they don't kick the wiring.

·
Registered
629 Posts
With respect to the air duct - I was concerned about blowing hot air across the amp in winter.

Looks like good protection from feet on the amp. My amp has exposed wiring harnesses. If I ever have a back seat occupant, I will have to make sure they don't kick the wiring.
I hear you on the duct. It's just to the right of this particular amp but can't hurt to give it a bit more clearance. I did order the right side duct but don't have it yet.

The wiring on this amp plugs into the front of the box. It exits the carpet where the seat harness is located. There is a clip on the top left front corner of the amp to attach the seat harness and prevent it from rubbing on the amp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I hear you on the duct. It's just to the right of this particular amp but can't hurt to give it a bit more clearance. I did order the right side duct but don't have it yet.

The wiring on this amp plugs into the front of the box. It exits the carpet where the seat harness is located. There is a clip on the top left front corner of the amp to attach the seat harness and prevent it from rubbing on the amp.
Do you happen to have links or part numbers for this entire duct extension assembly? After I install the system I'd like to see if this fits with my set-up so I'm not blowing hot air across the amp and LOC too

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Do you happen to have links or part numbers for this entire duct extension assembly? After I install the system I'd like to see if this fits with my set-up so I'm not blowing hot air across the amp and LOC too

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
Part numbers for under seat duct extensions, left, right - 72512AG000, 72512AG010.

Pictures in this thread -

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Part numbers for under seat duct extensions, left, right - 72512AG000, 72512AG010.

Pictures in this thread -
Jesus! You're the best!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
I got a survey from Subaru a few days ago. The two primary subjects were the stereo and auto stop/start. I gave them hell for the stereo. A S/S was an easy fix so I wasn't so hard on that. I have been enjoying the Crosstrek a lot, especially with the new stereo and A S/S Eliminator.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
85 Posts
I got a survey from Subaru a few days ago. The two primary subjects were the stereo and auto stop/start. I gave them hell for the stereo. A S/S was an easy fix so I wasn't so hard on that. I have been enjoying the Crosstrek a lot, especially with the new stereo and A S/S Eliminator.
So, your crosstrek no longer A S/S… my wife likes her 18 crosstrek premium because is does not have AS/S.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts