Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, bare with me on this one. I don't know a whole lot about car audio and even less about my 1st Subaru that I haven't even got yet. Went to the dealership yesterday and bought a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport (so excited!), The head unit does not have Nav.

My questions are:
1.) I'm looking to replace the speakers with some Kickers or similar to get a little more umph in sound quality. I've seen on YouTube (yes I did do some research before posting) that people are installing 6.5" speakers. But when I Google it they're showing 6x9s. Which is correct? Looking to order new speakers before the car even gets delivered.

2.) I want to add an amp to the system to increase the umph. I currently have a Pioneer GM-D9705 and Audio Control LC7i. Both brand new in the boxes, never used them, bought them thinking I would buy a used Honda Civic or something and just cut all the wiring harness and stuff up and get everything working just fine. With a brand new car I'm not willing to cut any harnesses. So my problems are. How do I hook everything up without cutting any factory wires? Does someone make a T-harness or something similar where I can just plug into the factory headunit, have some bare wires (or whatever) to solder in the amp wiring harness, and then go back out to the factory wire harness? Or all of the same stuff but adding in the LC7i between the headunit and the amp.

Any help you guys offer would be greatly appreciated! And thank you in advance for the help!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
I also have a Sport coming, ordered the Rocker Fosgate kit from Subaru. It's here, has an amp that goes under the passenger seat and new front door speakers.

You can look on Crutchfield and see what they offer as far as installation stuff and harnesses.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a Sport coming, ordered the Rocker Fosgate kit from Subaru. It's here, has an amp that goes under the passenger seat and new front door speakers.

You can look on Crutchfield and see what they offer as far as installation stuff and harnesses.
I spoke with Crutchfield and they said they don't have a harness to do what I want. The guy I spoke to suggested splicing into the factory wiring harness but I just don't feel comfortable cutting into a brand new car

·
Registered
607 Posts
Oh wow, figured they would offer something. I too would not want to cut up the wiring. I'm sure if you had issues that would be an out.

Did you get the Starlink radio? Comes with the Moonroof.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow, figured they would offer something. I too would not want to cut up the wiring. I'm sure if you had issues that would be an out.

Did you get the Starlink radio? Comes with the Moonroof.
Yes I did. But I don't think it has any upgraded stereo or built in amp. Here is the online listing for the exact vehicle I'm getting. I haven't even seen the vehicle since it won't be arriving until July 15th or so. Hopefully sooner tho

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here's a thought. replace the speakers and then decide if you need an amp. I replaced all my speakers with infinity primus speakers and my system sounds fantastic. of course i'm not going to obnoxiously vibrate windows at a stop light but that's not me anyhow :cool:
Well I will be doing that, but I know I want to add a subwoofer as well. So I want to amplify all the speakers so the subwoofer doesn't drown out the speakers. I like to listen to my music loud and have some bump coming from all around. I won't be rattling any windows in the neighborhood. Just want a little vibration in my mirrors

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I will be doing that, but I know I want to add a subwoofer as well. So I want to amplify all the speakers so the subwoofer doesn't drown out the speakers. I like to listen to my music loud and have some bump coming from all around. I won't be rattling any windows in the neighborhood. Just want a little vibration in my mirrors

First, your head unit is capable of displaying NAV from your android or apple phone via USB cable. Along with that using Android Auto or Apple Car play has live traffic and it's WAYYYYYY more up to date than any integrated nav will ever be (usually 1-2years out of date with most current updates)

Second, I have the Rockford Fosgate accessory upgrade, It replaces the front door 6x9's and adds an AMP under the Passenger seat. I listen to very bass heavy music and they definitely hit harder than the Limited's HK system. All plug and play, and just set the EQ to your preference, I run Bass -5, Mid 0, High +4, even then when the wife rides with, I have to drop the bass to -9 for her.

3rd by keeping the factory unit, you keep proper steering wheel controls ; and you can press and hold the push to talk on the steering wheel to activate the phones assistant. I use siri for everything, music, nav, and messaging.

Part below is what I installed in my 2021 Sport

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
For any aftermarket speakers (don't know about Subaru's upgrades) you will need an adaptor for 6x9 or 6.5 (front door). This is due to larger magnets and different hole locations. On crutchfield.com, specify your car, select speakers, and it will tell you if it fits and (I think when you add it to your cart) it will tell you what adaptor to use (included in the price of the speakers) and what wiring harness (also included) to do a simple speaker replacement. I recommend a 3.5 inch, full range speaker, not a tweeter, for the dash. I have three posts in "Interior, Audio, and HVAC" about my experience with this and there are a lot of other posts about audio upgrades.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For any aftermarket speakers (don't know about Subaru's upgrades) you will need an adaptor for 6x9 or 6.5 (front door). This is due to larger magnets and different hole locations. On crutchfield.com, specify your car, select speakers, and it will tell you if it fits and (I think when you add it to your cart) it will tell you what adaptor to use (included in the price of the speakers) and what wiring harness (also included) to do a simple speaker replacement. I recommend a 3.5 inch, full range speaker, not a tweeter, for the dash. I have three posts in "Interior, Audio, and HVAC" about my experience with this and there are a lot of other posts about audio upgrades.
The dash speakers (currently tweeters), if I change them to 3.5s does it have it's own power or is it split with the font door speakers the way I've read in a separate post? If it is split, does each speaker get full power or is the power 50% to each?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
They are 3.5 inch cones, so I don't think that they are tweeters. The dash speakers are parallel to the front door speakers, run from the same amp. I think there is a capacitor on the 3.5s, but I don't have any idea where the rolloff is. The power split will depend on the the impedence of the two speakers and the amp in the head unit and how it handles the impedence. The wiring to the dash speakers is via the front doors, not directly from the head unit (this is what the Best Buy installers told me, not personally verified).

My problem with dash tweeters is that the door speakers are mounted too low to get the upper midrange to your ears, so you need dash speakers that can do the job. I tried running the door and dash full range on separate amps. When I bi-amped them, crossing around 500 hz, much better sound.

These are my posts in Interior, Audio, and HVAC. There is some speculation here - my testing was not exhaustive, I just wanted a decent stereo.

jl audio c1-690speaker package from crutchfield
kicker amp speakers for my crosstrek
lessons from upgrading crosstrek audio

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
210 Posts
Just be careful with the speakers in the doors if you replace them. Diameter might be right but it’s the depth you need to worry about. It will hit the window. Higher wattage speakers usually means larger magnet. I think you have to get very close to the depth of the OEM speakers.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
37 Posts
Just be careful with the speakers in the doors if you replace them. Diameter might be right but it’s the depth you need to worry about. It will hit the window. Higher wattage speakers usually means larger magnet. I think you have to get very close to the depth of the OEM speakers.
Yes. The Metra speaker adapters move the speaker out about maybe 3/4 inch (I can't measure them without taking off the door panel) to allow larger magnets. This covers many aftermarket speakers, but not all. Check the fit at crutchfield.com if you can - I think they cover speaker depth in the compatibility check. Put the windows down before you start working on the door and be sure that the magnet clears the window.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 21 Limited and thought I would upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amp. I wasn't in love with the sound at first but they seemed to get better after a while. Could be that I got used to it but also remember that speakers need to be broken in. I'm now very happy and glad I didn't upgrade. My advice is to use the car for a few months before deciding to go through the hassle and expense of installing new speakers. I'm very glad I waited and now see no reason to do this.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts