Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm not sure if this is the correct to post this as I have a couple of general questions about my options. The pictures show the damage to my 2019 Crosstrek passengers side rear fender. The rubberized/plastic portion of the fender is attached to the entire bumper......meaning........Subaru told me my only option was to replace the entire bumper and also have it painted (over $2K). I tried finding something in a "junk yard" which would be nicely cut off and then "installed" as nice as possible to my vehicle, but nothing available (and certainly not optimal). So, now I'm thinking of adding fender flares around all four sides as an option, but don't see much available (only option so far is "Trails by Grimmspeed").

Anybody have any suggestions/ideas around fender flares and/or other options?

Note: The rubberized/plastic portion of the fender got caught on something and as I pulled away it tore (paint impacted as well, but that's an easier fix). I currently have the rubber/plastic piece zip-tied back tight so it doesn't stick out. I'm worried this could impact the install of fender flares?? I'm not handy at all so I'd have to pay somebody (body shop???) to do the install, but concerned I've compromised the ability for fender flares to be properly installed. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,322 Posts
I would inquire at another body shop as over $2k seems really high. Might depend on where you are located? The dealer is correct. The flare portion of the bumper is the bumper itself without paint so it's bare plastic. No way to fix that other than replace. So you do need the entire bumper cover then they paint the colored portion to match. The cover is not really that expensive though. Had it done on my '14 and was about $1,000 using a brand new Subaru bumper. Have not seen any thing that you could install to cover it up.

Which part is loose and zip tied? If the portion of the bumper toward the wheel is loose, check to see if the push pins broke off. You can compare with the good side of the car. Being you do not work on your own vehicle, can you not turn it in to insurance?

·
Registered
2021 Limited OP 31
56 Posts
I agree that $2k sound high. Definitely get estimates from different body shops. I've actually replaced the rear bumper on a 2019 Crosstrek before, so I know what's involved. My brother's car got backed into. To minimize cost, I had a body shop order and paint a new OEM bumper cover and I did the rest of the work myself. The body shop charged $830 (in 2020) for the bumper cover and paintwork. I removed/installed it myself. It's not a difficult job in the body shop world, but good paintwork is just expensive. I would expect it to be $1,000-$1,300 for the body shop to do all the work. I would also recommend considering an insurance claim if you have full coverage.

If you want to avoid a claim and minimize cost, a used matching color bumper cover is an option if you can find one. The Grimmspeed Flares are not cheap either and with the labor cost for installation you'd be near the price of new bumper cover replacement. Looking at the pictures, I'm not sure the flares would be big enough to cover the damage to the body color painted portion of your bumper. And you'd have to find a shop who would do the install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. I'll pursue additional quotes as the one I have is through the dealer who had a local body shop quote it.

Looks like there's no way around replacing the entire bumper cover. Arg. I don't want to turn it into my insurance because I have two teenage sons on my insurance policy and I'm concerned my rates would skyrocket.

·
Registered
2021 Limited OP 31
56 Posts
I don't want to turn it into my insurance because I have two teenage sons on my insurance policy and I'm concerned my rates would skyrocket.
And that's the reason we decided to fix my brother's car on our own. A hit and run can count as a collision if you don't know who hit it. Although, he wound up totalling it in an at-fault collision last year anyway 😖. Oh well, he was hit by a dually pickup truck towing a trailer and walked away. It did it's job keeping him safe.

Reactions: MdBrad21
1 - 5 of 5 Posts