Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making the big move to shift from 20 years of legacy limited to the crosstrek with the main driver being ground clearance for off road conditions. While highway driving will continue to be the majority of action. Interested in any thoughts or experiences of making this change! Thank you

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,745 Posts
I went from a Legacy to the 'trek. Before the Legacy I had an Outback Sport, so the Crosstrek was a natural.
I got the Legacy for the extra room, but with the smaller family now I traded back "down". I find the 'trek to be a better commuter, especially on narrower roads and those with more road imperfections.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went from a Legacy to the 'trek. Before the Legacy I had an Outback Sport, so the Crosstrek was a natural.
I got the Legacy for the extra room, but with the smaller family now I traded back "down". I find the 'trek to be a better commuter, especially on narrower roads and those with more road imperfections.
Thank you. That pretty much aligns with my thinking and ready to pull the trigger. I've got a 2018 Legacy 3.6R limited that will be traded in. I realize that the upper end power of my current model will be a thing of the past, but honestly, that is probably a really good thing!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,780 Posts
I went from a 2010 legacy gt to my Crosstrek. It's so different, but I really like it. The legacy was big and fast. The Crosstrek is small and adequately zippy, but not fast.
The Crosstrek is much better for a commute. The legacy was amazing on on ramps, and it was always fun to run to romp around in the sand with the ATVs in a family sedan, but I wouldn't go back.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,359 Posts
I went from a 2010 legacy gt to my Crosstrek. It's so different, but I really like it. The legacy was big and fast. The Crosstrek is small and adequately zippy, but not fast.
The Crosstrek is much better for a commute. The legacy was amazing on on ramps, and it was always fun to run to romp around in the sand with the ATVs in a family sedan, but I wouldn't go back.
My previous car was a 2004 BAJA Turbo and I am quite satisfied with my Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2014 Xtrek
12 Posts
Making the big move to shift from 20 years of legacy limited to the crosstrek with the main driver being ground clearance for off road conditions. While highway driving will continue to be the majority of action. Interested in any thoughts or experiences of making this change! Thank you
I'm from CT and looking for people to do some offroading with if you're ever interested. Just have wheels and tires right now

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up the new ride today and 50 miles into it, I'm feeling overall good about the decision, and will take on about 100 miles per day of a mix of residential and highway for the next 5 days before taking it on a longer commute of 250 miles to my northern home, figure this will be a good break-in for the car. Out of the gate on the highway, the tire pressure registered in the car sensors at 38/37, I let it cool down completely while food shopping and then crossed the street and used a gas station air station and it showed them at 35/34 and brought it down to the door panel list of 33/32. The ride didn’t seem bouncy today, but figure things like tire pressure are an easy thing and a good thing. Onward for day 2, and will post some pics!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
148 Posts
Congrats! And good on you for adjusting the "ready for shipping" tire pressures to spec. Don't forget the donut. Sounds like you've got an optimal plan for your engine break-in procedure.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tacked on 120 miles today with a residential roads drive in the morning, basic around town things in the day and then a highway trip to the city for dinner and back before sunset (image). Managed to vary the speeds throughout and with lots of wet weather there was ample opportunities to get a sense of similarities/differences of the Legacy to the Crosstrek. I got the phone connected (simple) and tomorrow will get the map working. So far so good!

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Land vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Local roads forced our transition in 2014, last sedan needed new tires, shocks, tie rods in 15K. After 7 years and only 42K on the car, it had had it. No rust, but everything was just loose just from local driving for the most part. Sons have trucks, so we have 2 Crosstreks now, it's a stiffer ride but not abusing the car so far.

I do wish the new ones had side bumper strips though. People are so inconsiderate to others doors/vehicles.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
148 Posts
Local roads forced our transition in 2014, last sedan needed new tires, shocks, tie rods in 15K. After 7 years and only 42K on the car, it had had it. No rust, but everything was just loose just from local driving for the most part. Sons have trucks, so we have 2 Crosstreks now, it's a stiffer ride but not abusing the car so far.

I do wish the new ones had side bumper strips though. People are so inconsiderate to others doors/vehicles.
Welcome! Yes, the Crosstrek's suspension is much better suited to lousy roads than that of a smaller hatchback or sedan. I daresay it's likely better than that of other competing crossovers as well. If you've not already done so, look into replacing the OEM tires with some that are better suited to poor roads. There a number of new tires now designed specifically for crossovers.

Side moldings for the doors are available online or through your local Subaru dealer's parts department.

• Helpful
Reactions: sas-XV

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Made the 250 mile journey northward and did it in 4 intervals and put in the best effort to vary the speed throughout, a balancing act of using cruise control and shifting from 60 to 75 to 60 and so on, and within it shifting the drive mode from S to I, this seemed to keep the RPM generally changing. Car behaved great on the highway and hills. Onward!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts