Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Lower the one on the driver's side. This will lower the high beam on that side.

Lower the left light? I'm not quite sure what's that mean.

Do you mean, you have angled the LED lights?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm using Philips 9011 HIR1 bulbs from candlepower.com. They are amber and need modification.

https://store.candlepower.com/9011.html

https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973

CRAZYHAWK,

Can I ask one more question?

I'm considering changing my daylight/driving lights as well.
They are currently orange/amber color.

And I would like to change to Blue or White color.
Do you recommend any bulbs? Not too bright kind is preferred.
I do not want to distract other drivers.

If you know, will you let me know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The same 10mm hex nut that adjusts the original halogen H11 should lower both low and highs.

yup, and this H11 bulb didn't adjust. I couldn't lower the light as it was angled. if i could, it would be better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got it fixed. It might seem we can only install the bulb 1 way with the notches, but I forced it in and the LED diodes are situated right to left. Fixed my problem and the lights are much lower now. With LED, I've read it doesn't adjust it with the 10mm hex wrench. just make the diodes horizontal and it will lower the light. img_20180610_012021.jpg

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just got it fixed. It might seem we can only install the bulb 1 way with the notches, but I forced it in and the LED diodes are situated right to left. Fixed my problem and the lights are much lower now. With LED, I've read it doesn't adjust it with the 10mm hex wrench. just make the diodes horizontal and it will lower the light. View attachment 281814
As long as your highs are higher than the led lows you should be good.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If your highs are contained within the lows they are useless.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Best LED bulbs for MY18+?

Hi all,
Unfortunately still quite under-impressed with my Mikan's original headlights for MY18 Crosstrek Premium. Probably the only continuing dislike of my otherwise wonderful Mikan.
Time to make her even closer to perfect!
Now, reading around a bit, it seems I need to very carefully choose which LEB bulbs to purchase for the halogen defector housing.

My needs are: Easy to install & forget, pop-in, no after-install adjustments, no blinding oncoming drivers, while much brighter to better light up what's ahead on the road. Light beam cutoff height is the key.
Changing out my low beam headlight lamps H11 are my initial interest here.
Yet, if thing works, I will eventually swap out the high beam HB3/9005 bulbs as well, to match color and light output.

BEAMTECH H11 LED Headlight Bulbs seems to be voted for mostly.
Higher priced GTR Lighting LED has been also mentioned by others.

So folks, so far, any recommendations of the best replacement LED headlamp bulbs for MY18+ Crosstrek?

I will try to get them from Amazon, and also will try to post here if any action I do take, if ever.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi again!

Thinking of this more and more, wandering around the web all over, I came back to this question I have had from the start:
Is it possible to just swap out the MY18 Limited LED headlight housing unit all together, and put it into the MY18 Premium model to work as it should?

If so, my worries are much easier to address.
If not, why & how not? Wire connections incompatible? Dimensions won't fit?

And has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
BEAMTECH H11 LED Headlight Bulbs seems to be voted for mostly.
I put the Beamtech's in my premium a couple days ago. On the plus side, the improvement in visibility is stunning. Light is thrown much further down the road, with a clean cutoff that appears to be unchanged from stock. Nobody has flashed me yet, and the cutoff is well below the high beams, so I *think* it is ok from a safety perspective.

On the minus side, there is definitely some added side glare. I now have a couple discrete bands of light that are thrown to the sides, which can be a bit distracting when driving down a narrow lane, but it hasn't been a big issue so far, and it is a small price to pay for the enhanced visibility at night.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One other comment about swapping the low beam bulbs that I feel obligated to make here: the process is stupidly simple. I used to think changing bulbs on my Outback was easy, but the XV takes it to a new level. It is literally a 2 or 3 minute job.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm running the Supernova v.4 LEDs in my premium. The beam pattern is a pretty straight cutoff. There is very slight spillage above the beam, but it's the exact same pattern as the halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm running the Supernova v.4 LEDs in my premium. The beam pattern is a pretty straight cutoff. There is very slight spillage above the beam, but it's the exact same pattern as the halogen bulbs.
Thank you very much for more and more LED headlight bulb information!

THIS bulbs 'looks' very promising, indeed. Maybe the one to get?

Did more research online, and found other bulbs with near-filament-like one-chip LEDs, plug-n-play.
In Japan, IPF LED Head Lamp Bulb X2, H11 at around ¥19,500 JPY or $178 USD.

Choices, choices...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank you very much for more and more LED headlight bulb information!

THIS bulbs 'looks' very promising, indeed. Maybe the one to get?

Did more research online, and found other bulbs with near-filament-like one-chip LEDs, plug-n-play.
In Japan, IPF LED Head Lamp Bulb X2, H11 at around ¥19,500 JPY or $178 USD.

Choices, choices...
Finally!

IPF X2 series LED Headlight Conversion Kits (low beam H11 & high beam HB3/4) are IN MY HANDS now!

More updates to be posted, with pictures, hopefully soon once I have time on a weekend to install.
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
170 Posts
IPF X2 series LED Headlight Conversion Kits (low beam H11 & high beam HB3/4)

Hi all,
I have finally installed these IPF X2 series LED Headlight Conversion Kits (low beam H11 & high beam HB3/4) this weekend.

This is my report, in a few continuous posts here, with pictures.
I have tried to use the same exposure between comparative pictures, yet not all are the same throughout.
I hope your get the differences, though.

In all, it took about two (2) hours start to finish installing, including all the documenting and picture-taking, and things.
To be honest, much easier to do than initially thought, just the same as replacing any headlight bulb.

Results, I will update on this AFTER I drive around with these new LEDs for a bit, at night. I have not done so yet, being a busy weekend. I will report later on IRL 'In-Real-Life' usage.

Sooooo, here it is.

First, I pahked my cah (sorry, can't help it being a Bostonian... :) 3 m/3 yd/9 ft straight and flat from a relatively white wall. Then, marked the low beam cutoff line on the wall using making tape, so I can see if the new LED bulbs are at the same level.

Starting from the left headlights, I needed to move the wiper fluid filler downtube out of the way by removing one 'clip', and swinging it away a bit, so I can fit my fat hands behind the headlight unit and access the bulbs to replace. To remove the clip, use a Philips screw drive to slightly turn the center pin a bit which will raise it a little, then use a flathead driver to lift it fully, then pull the clip out.

Removed clip, and freed downtube. Left headlight bulb can be reached from the right of the tube, in front of the battery.

View from behind left headlight unit, looking at the low beam bulb to the most top-left(partially) and the high beam bulb top-center.

Originally installed low beam halogen bulb, H11 (German-made, in a Japanese car, interestingly...)

Originally installed high beam halogen bulb, HB3 (USA-made, in a Japanese car, interestingly...)

Comparison on the bulb sizes, left to right:
New LED low beam H11, original halogen low beam H11, original halogen high beam HB3, new LED high beam HB3

41 - 60 of 70 Posts