Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an 18 Premium because i can't stand leather seats, but that leaves me with the 6.5" head unit. Is it a simple swap between the 2 or are there other parts (SiriusXM antenna maybe?) that would be missing from a Premium?

·
Registered
470 Posts
One of the options will put the 8" stereo into the Premium, I think it's Eyesight.
I said that and I truly believed it. But now that I'm looking at Subaru's site, that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, the exterior pictures of Premium and the Limited both show the shark fin antenna instead of the whip antenna. So I have no idea if there are actual differences.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Per Subaru America, it is not possible to install the 8" screen head unit in the Premium after the fact. I called them and asked this directly, the person I spoke to had to check and call me back. They could not explain WHY.

From what I've looked at it seems like new antenna, new headunit and some wiring and it should swap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per Subaru America, it is not possible to install the 8" screen head unit in the Premium after the fact.
I'm guessing the answer to why is "because we said so". I can't imagine they made the harness any different, just a few extra pins at most. I know it adds one USB, so if that is wired straight, that's 5 pins max, then one for an extra antenna, even if there's really one. The only reason I think the USB are on separate connections each is that Subaru claims that the ports can't use hubs, so the head unit probably doesn't have a real USB controller on board.

Cheapest I've seen the 8" for is about $650, so its a pricey experiment, but I guess I'll see how I fare with the 6.5 for a while.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have an 18 premium with EyeSight and it has the 6.5" radio.
Yeah, as stated in my second post (#3 in the thread), I was looking at Subaru's site and couldn't find anything that would indicate an ability to get the 8" in the Premium. I bought my Crosstrek basically three weeks ago and was thinking that the Premiums that I'd looked at all had 8" radios. I must have been imagining things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the backs of each unit, it looks like the only difference in connectors is that the 8" has an XM antenna port, and some sort of a 4 pin connection, that could be an extra USB port.

65inch.jpg

The 6.5 inch.

8inch.jpg

The 8 Inch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can tell you that on the '15-17's , they were different harnesses but I was able to add Sirius XM to my car with the new radio and a fakra adapter to allow an after market XM antenna on the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was able to get NAV and XM with my 2014 Premium. My 2016 Limited has XM but no NAV

I’d love to get into a 2018 but find it ridiculous that the only way you can get Satellite radio is to buy a Limited with a ton of worthless options to me(sunroof etc)

Bravo Subaru.....following in Honda’s footsteps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can the Limited without the sunroof... but only if you don't want Eyesight and/or Nav. I do wish that you could get it without the sunroof. I got stuck with one due to the other things that I wanted in the vehicle. I don't care for having a sunroof to begin with and the one on the Crosstrek is tiny making it even more pointless.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
As much as I love Subaru, I have to agree. I find some of the options, packages, and their limitations a little odd. The only reasoning I can think of is the same reasoning a recent article described a rep from Subaru giving about why they won't make a turbo 2.0 trim level for the Crosstrek. They are already selling the Crosstreks as fast as they can make them. There's very little incentive to change anything or add any more options beyond what they already do. Not very satisfying for us end users on the surface, but when I think about it, I'm glad Subaru and the Crosstrek are doing so well, I'd like to have this car or one like it for many more years and continued success means continued production, a successful Subaru, and a robust and healthy aftermarket :D To address the topic, I can't imagine why the head units wouldn't be interchangable, it's not like they make a differently designed car for each trim level. It's just a matter of nailing down what all parts are needed. Plus,if that ends up being too much of a PITA, there's always Crutchfield and an aftermarket head unit. Given the trouble I've been having with Android Auto on my unit, I've actually been considering giving the Crutchfield site a look myself.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The head unit in the Crosstrek provides an interface that allows you to change a number of vehicle settings. Does the head unit itself save those setting, or does it communicate to an ECU or something in the car where those settings are stored and used from?

I'm talking about things like the Auto Light Sensor, Welcome Lighting, Clock Adjustment, Defogger Time-Out, Keyless Entry, One-Touch Lane changer.

If you upgrade to the 8" head unit on a Premium, will it show settings for things like the Keyless Entry System that can't function on a Premium trim? Or does it communicate with the ECU in the car and not display options that cannot be set?

·
Registered
329 Posts
You can the Limited without the sunroof... but only if you don't want Eyesight and/or Nav. I do wish that you could get it without the sunroof. I got stuck with one due to the other things that I wanted in the vehicle. I don't care for having a sunroof to begin with and the one on the Crosstrek is tiny making it even more pointless.
Really? I’ve only seen the Limited with sunroofs on the lots.

I’d buy a Limited in a heartbeat with Satellite radio without the other junk as that is what I have now (2016 Limited)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I stand corrected. I’m getting quotes from dealers right now on “base” Limiteds

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I can lend some clarification on this. I've upgraded my '18 Premium to the 8" Starlink (without nav).
It took a lot of research to make this work, and a lot of trial-and error and wrong parts ordered.

Here's the gist. You need to be VERY careful about what part number you order, as there are a couple of different parts that look identical!

For a '18 Premium, you want to order 86201FL62A

Things you need to know:
There is no built-in sirius antenna as best as I have been able to find out (although I haven't pulled the antenna and checked all of the interconnect points on the run from antenna to behind the dash). Because of this, you're going to get a No Signal alert on the screen at start, and then repeatedly while driving. it's annoying!

You can add a standard sirius NGVA3 antenna (available on amazon) with the use of a Fakra adapter. This is my first post in this forum, so I can't include links, but I'll reply again with the parts you need

I haven't come across any issues with this setup and have NO regrets on having put in the legwork to make it work!

I hope this helps!

If you have trouble sourcing the radio, I do have a spare that I acquired during the nightmare of sending parts back and forth with junkyards.

Let me know if I can be of any further help!

-Ali

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I can lend some clarification on this. I've upgraded my '18 Premium to the 8" Starlink (without nav).
It took a lot of research to make this work, and a lot of trial-and error and wrong parts ordered.

Here's the gist. You need to be VERY careful about what part number you order, as there are a couple of different parts that look identical!

For a '18 Premium, you want to order 86201FL62A

Things you need to know:
There is no built-in sirius antenna as best as I have been able to find out (although I haven't pulled the antenna and checked all of the interconnect points on the run from antenna to behind the dash). Because of this, you're going to get a No Signal alert on the screen at start, and then repeatedly while driving. it's annoying!

You can add a standard sirius NGVA3 antenna (available on amazon) with the use of a Fakra adapter. This is my first post in this forum, so I can't include links, but I'll reply again with the parts you need

I haven't come across any issues with this setup and have NO regrets on having put in the legwork to make it work!

I hope this helps!

If you have trouble sourcing the radio, I do have a spare that I acquired during the nightmare of sending parts back and forth with junkyards.

Let me know if I can be of any further help!

-Ali
What does the no signal alert look like?also any other problems?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts