• Yes.

Votes: 63 51.6%
  • No.

Votes: 59 48.4%
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2018 Pumpkin has 8-10 spots, where the paint has peeled or blistered up. Just came from the dealer, who's claiming it's due to tree sap. Really, we have one(1) tree near the driveway, a Japanese Cherry (flowering, no fruit), which doesn't drip sap. - And my 2012 Outback's paint looks pristine at nearly 9 years old.

The difference, my Outback is Satin White Pearl, as opposed to her Sunrise (or Sunset) Orange. I personally think the Orange paint may have an issue. Dealer is supposedly trying to make a case with SOA on our behalf, with pictures of the damage. Oddly, the primer has bubbled or peeled up, only the clear/color coats.

Anybody have success with paint issues? - Car is a lease, which we had considered keeping, now I'm not sure, and what will Subaru Leasing (Chase) do, when it's returned with spots of primer showing through.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My wife's 2018 Pumpkin has 8-10 spots, where the paint has peeled or blistered up. Just came from the dealer, who's claiming it's due to tree sap. Really, we have one(1) tree near the driveway, a Japanese Cherry (flowering, no fruit), which doesn't drip sap. - And my 2012 Outback's paint looks pristine at nearly 9 years old.

The difference, my Outback is Satin White Pearl, as opposed to her Sunrise (or Sunset) Orange. I personally think the Orange paint may have an issue. Dealer is supposedly trying to make a case with SOA on our behalf, with pictures of the damage. Oddly, the primer has bubbled or peeled up, only the clear/color coats.

Anybody have success with paint issues? - Car is a lease, which we had considered keeping, now I'm not sure, and what will Subaru Leasing (Chase) do, when it's returned with spots of primer showing through.
Don't know why the dealer is being so obstinate, as this is covered by SOA if you're still under the 3 yr 36k mi new car warranty. Here's the bulletin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Subaru WRX with 12k miles. Within the first week had paint chip from door, thought it was someone dinging my door. Begins to chip on other side of the car, assumed rock chips. Pillar gets chipped a few months later and beginning to see rust growing. Realized it was paint issue when I saw my trunk is beginning to chipping in spots that are difficult to damage. my car is also metallic grey. the chips area are also taking off the primer and showing bear metal. Does subaru do touch ups or do detailers do paint corrections before my rust gets to bad?

·
Premium Member
MGM 2021 Onyx XT
234 Posts
Does subaru do touch ups or do detailers do paint corrections before my rust gets to bad?
If you have no luck with your dealer, you can use a product like this to repair the paint yourself. It's worked very well for a lot of people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm seeing various complaints out there about paint failures in the 18s and 19s, but it's hard to get an idea of how common it is. So here's a poll to help shed some light on that. Vote in the poll and maybe mention your car's year and color in the thread.
I bought an Imprezza sport in 2015. A new 2014. Paint issues on front bumper and hood appearing in over 30 spots. Looked at first like paint chips. Subaru said "normal wear and tear". I filed a claim against Subaru and the dealer in Small Claims here in Ontario. Issue is all over and people across North America are told the same "normal wear and tear stories" and post pics identical to my problem. They didn't want to go to court and settled. They wanted me to sign a non disclosure. I told them to stuff it. They settled without one. Sue them. No idea why a company like Subaru will not honor their warranty. Like the car but they lost me FOREVER!!!!!!! Share this with everyone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2021 (750miles) have a chip in the hood to the metal, could of been out of the ordinary. Paint doesn’t seem durable. I read they switched to water base paint to cut cost. Not sure if that’s a factor.

I also noticed the gloss coat is a swirl magnet, be very careful what microfiber towel you use. (Just my opinion)

its also black so I’m going to see everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really wish the two out of twelve so far who've answered "Yes" to the poll would give some details about what happened.
2019 Forester Crimson Red Pearl. Dings and scratches all over. My 2009 Outback had no surface scratches after 10 years and 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have a 2014 Impreza bought new in 2015. Within 6-7 months I had what appeared to be paint chips on my front bumper a s hood. Dealer told me normal wear and tear. Total bull crap. The issue is posted all over the internet with owner also saying they were told normal wear and tear. Not sure why Subaru decided to step back from the issue and not repair under warranty. I took clear pics and files a small claims against the dealer and the head office. They asked me to sign an agreement that I wouldn’t disclose out settlement and I told them to shove it. They accepted my offer to settle anyways. I was quite prepared to go to court. They just didn’t want to lose in court and have me post it all over social media. **** Subaru.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Forester with 20,000 miles. I have 16+ small paint chips on my hood and side panels, and some small bubbles (maybe the top coat?). Some go all the way to metal. I've never had a car chip like this. I primarily drive highways. I understand chips happen but this is excessive. I've reported it to the dealership twice. The first time they never returned my call, the second time they would give me zero information on if it could be covered by the warranty if they determined it was a defect. They just kept saying to bring it in, which I understand is the only way they can be sure but I live 3 hours away from any dealership so would've liked some potential scenarios. I offered to send detailed photos just for a preliminary review, nope. If I take it and they glance at it and instantly say it's not covered I'm going to be even more frustrated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 Forester with 20,000 miles. I have 16+ small paint chips on my hood and side panels, and some small bubbles (maybe the top coat?). Some go all the way to metal. I've never had a car chip like this. I primarily drive highways. I understand chips happen but this is excessive. I've reported it to the dealership twice. The first time they never returned my call, the second time they would give me zero information on if it could be covered by the warranty if they determined it was a defect. They just kept saying to bring it in, which I understand is the only way they can be sure but I live 3 hours away from any dealership so would've liked some potential scenarios. I offered to send detailed photos just for a preliminary review, nope. If I take it and they glance at it and instantly say it's not covered I'm going to be even more frustrated.
If you google the issue you will find people all across North America who had the same problem and posted pictures which I know will be similar to your problem. They will tell you “normal wear and tear”. I have no idea why they stepped back from warranting this problem. My suggestion. Take tons of pics. Do your research. Record every conversation you have with the dealership. I sued both Subaru Canada snd the dealership. They didn’t want to go to court of course and lose because that would open up a huge can of worms. They settled. My offer. I had the car repaired at my own place and rented my own car. They paid me within 5 working days after receiving my invoice according to my agreement. They wanted me to sign a non disclosure and I told them to shove it. Feel free to reach out to me again. I’d love to see how things go. Good luck. Don’t take “no” from them.

And when I say record I mean record the conversation. Then you have proof what they say. You don’t need to disclose they are being recorded.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
353 Posts
Still no chips in the paint, though I did find a couple of small ones on the window. But, last month I took the first Summer road trip since I bought the car - from Georgia down to South Mississippi. Good Lord, the bugs I slayed. But what does that have to do with paint? When I washed the car I was able to get the bug guts off. But wherever there was big bug splatter, the paint appears blistered. It is not something obvious when you are standing in front of the car and looking at it. You do have to inspect closely. But this is the first time I've seen this on a car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
21 CGK, picked it up Friday, 281miles on the clock… 3 small chips on the bumper. Needless to say, I am not impressed.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,184 Posts
It might be interesting to go on another car site and ask the same question. I wonder how many Toyota Tundra owners feel they have "Paint Problems."

It would be best to compare the Subaru with another vehicle that is occasionally taken off road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It might be interesting to go on another car site and ask the same question. I wonder how many Toyota Tundra owners feel they have "Paint Problems."

It would be best to compare the Subaru with another vehicle that is occasionally taken off road.
To be clear I never took my car off road. Total city driving. My beef is that Subaru corporate decided to step back from warranting a defect. Shame on them. That is why I filed a claim against them and a class action needs to be taken.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,184 Posts
To be clear I never took my car off road. Total city driving. My beef is that Subaru corporate decided to step back from warranting a defect. Shame on them. That is why I filed a claim against them and a class action needs to be taken.
Thanks. I don't doubt you have a legitimate beef. I have the Orange which has been identified by Subaru as something to pay attention to, but the paint seems to be holding up for the almost 4 years of ownership with just three tiny stone chips. I've been helping with my grand daughters Toyota RAV 4 and she mentioned that the paint at the top was peeling off. It's ten years old but the Red paint is peeling off/fading/bleaching and this is on a car that is rarely in any climate but a temperate one(although it has been outside ). Honestly I think paint should last longer than ten years if it hasn't been baking in the sun or frozen in salt water and ice. With 120 responses I am surprised that nearly fifty per cent of the people feel there is a problem and I think that should raise people's eyebrows. I still think it would be useful to see what others might say around a car where I don't expect a paint problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm seeing various complaints out there about paint failures in the 18s and 19s, but it's hard to get an idea of how common it is. So here's a poll to help shed some light on that. Vote in the poll and maybe mention your car's year and color in the thread.
Hi - I have a 2021 white crosstrek. I expected some dings from parking mishaps but not paint removal PXL_20210726_194022314.jpg . So I am voting yes.
This is in the rear above the license plate but also notice another spot on a front bumper.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts