• Yes.

Votes: 63 51.6%
  • No.

Votes: 59 48.4%
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ours isn't a common colour so ordered the OEM paint pen from the nearest Subaru dealership. It arrived overnight and was only $25. Very easy to use and has the 3 step micro-sander, paint and clear coat all built in. Touched up 2 stone chips on passenger side doors and a scratch on the door sill.
I call ?? that your dealer can't get it in for you. Especially if you've given them your colour code (eg ours is M2Y), from the compliance plate under the bonnet. I've heard there's 2 versions of the orange colour, so the paint code is important. Subaru Docklands in Melbourne has a store on eBay and ship around Australia. Perhaps you could message and order from them instead?
Sadly, I have seen an early model XV in Orange on a used car lot and was shocked the clear coat was already lifting on the bonnet and there were small dents, chips and dull spots on every panel. It clearly hadn't been loved by it's owner and the car yard hadn't made any effort to schmick it up. Still, it was a shock to see such a sorry specimen. ?
It was Subaru Docklands that I asked at - twice. All they do is write the paint code (PAK) on a postit and send me on my way.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It was Subaru Docklands that I asked at - twice. All they do is write the paint code (PAK) on a postit and send me on my way.
Apologies MrMounty, I now see you'd already stated the paint code. The parts interpreter (who ordered mine) at Subaru Penrith has confirmed Sunshine Orange isn't listed as a touch up pen. There's a company offering the identical type of touch up paint pen (Penfastic) as my OEM one and mix the paint to 2018 code PAK. Their website was a bit glitchy the first time I tried but the 2nd attempt was successful. This their website.
1584402412167.png

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies MrMounty, I now see you'd already stated the paint code. The parts interpreter (who ordered mine) at Subaru Penrith has confirmed Sunshine Orange isn't listed as a touch up pen. There's a company offering the identical type of touch up paint pen (Penfastic) as my OEM one and mix the paint to 2018 code PAK. Their website was a bit glitchy the first time I tried but the 2nd attempt was successful. This their website.
View attachment 299345
Thanks SubieSubieDo - I'll give them a go

·
Registered
23 Posts
2014 Black metallic several spots that look like bird crap had been sitting there for days, which we wouldn't let happen. Dealer was reluctant but she made several calls to SOA and they called the dealer. Car went to their paint shop who cut and buffed the hood... hoods look pretty good but they ruined the headlights finish.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
353 Posts
2014 Black metallic several spots that look like bird crap had been sitting there for days, which we wouldn't let happen. Dealer was reluctant but she made several calls to SOA and they called the dealer. Car went to their paint shop who cut and buffed the hood... hoods look pretty good but they ruined the headlights finish.
I got a few dull spots on the hood and roof similar to what you describe on my grey metallic. Exactly because of bird crap sitting on the car all day in the parking lot at work. I was able to polish off with Maguires Ultimate Polish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm seeing various complaints out there about paint failures in the 18s and 19s, but it's hard to get an idea of how common it is. So here's a poll to help shed some light on that. Vote in the poll and maybe mention your car's year and color in the thread.
Our 2019 you can see it when you wash the car..either the surface was contaminated at application or the process ( sprayers ) were contaminated at application....maybe the end of a color change ????

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
Our 2019 you can see it when you wash the car..either the surface was contaminated at application or the process ( sprayers ) were contaminated at application....maybe the end of a color change ????
So, don't wash the car... 😸

Ours is in great shape we and haven't done anything special, no clear bra or coatings or whatever. We've been on a few narrow trails and occasionally got some fine scrapes on the sides from brush but they polished out. The DGM is a perfect match for Los Angeles freeway soot so it looks great even when it hasn't been washed in a while! No complaints about the paint at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Question for the community - I noticed the paint is pretty sparse around the hatchback hinges on my Sunshine Orange 2020. In addition to the grey undercoat that's visible and the very thin base coat, there doesn't appear to be much/any clear coat applied either. Is this normal on other peoples' Crosstreks, or something I should get the dealer to look into ASAP? Not really concerned about the aesthetics of it, more about protecting the metal from long-term corrosion.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,424 Posts
Just looked at the hatch hinges on my 2019 Sunshine Orange. Mine's a little better painted than yours but I can see what appears to be some green primer.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
It seems, to me, to be a problem with the aftermarket "clear coat" not Subaru's paint...

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
Sorry, not sure I get your meaning - if it's on the car when it leaves the factory, it's not aftermarket.
The various clear coats or bras are not OEM. They are dealer add-ons, or third party.

We haven't had any problems with our OEM paint.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The various clear coats or bras are not OEM. They are dealer add-ons, or third party.

We haven't had any problems with our OEM paint.
If by clear coat you mean paint protection film, I agree with you that that is aftermarket. But I don't see anybody complaining about that here, just the clear coat applied over the color base coat, and that is definitely OEM/Subaru as it's part of the basic paint process.

·
Prefers black cats
12,412 Posts
I'm agreeing, just saying that we have had no problems with our OEM DGM paint and clear coat here in Southern California...

·
Registered
87 Posts
[
It seems, to me, to be a problem with the aftermarket "clear coat" not Subaru's paint...
I'm agreeing, just saying that we have had no problems with our OEM DGM paint and clear coat here in Southern California...
Sorry, but I can't really see how you were agreeing - you quite clearly said it was not a problem with Subaru paint in response to other people's issues. Glad you yourself haven't had any issues, but that doesn't mean others' complaints are invalid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WELL...I have a 2019 WHITE Crosstrek and have had to have my roof totally repainted due to the paint bubbling and chipping. When we went to pick it up we found another spot that was cracking on the door. I had to fight Subaru of America about it too. This started when it was only 8 months old and she had only about 6600 miles. Today she is one year and a couple weeks and has 7700 miles and I am pissed off to say the least. There is a class action lawsuit for the paint issue on the cross treks related to the orange ones though other colors are doing this due to Subaru removing lead from their paint to comply with new regulations. It makes me sick...my car is totally paid off and we got all the extra warranties we were offered at purchase and we were NOT offered a paint warranty AT ALL or we would have gotten one. I also do not live in a place that salts or sands the roads I live in central Oregon so the climate is mild year round relatively as compared to some places like NY. I am including a picture of the paint spot from today so you can see. THis is NOT a chip from rocks it is on the drivers side rear door. As you can see it is to the primer and it is spidering out.

Hope this helps
View attachment 297941

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue going on with my 2018 Crosstrek. Plastic Bumper is all chipped up,roof just above the windshield. My sons new 2020 Impreza Sport at 2000 miles numerous rock chips. I'm in contact with an attorney group William Dirks in Kansas City about the issue. Subaru Crosstrek Paint Problems | Williams Dirks Dameron LLC My dealership along with Subaru of America are aware of the paint issue. We as a group of Subaru owners need to voice our concerns. A Class Action Lawsuit may make Subaru aware of the Defective Clear Coat/Paint they are using and take care of the problem. Beside this issue, I really love my Subaru. It is my 3rd one.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts