• Yes.

Votes: 63 51.6%
  • No.

Votes: 59 48.4%
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes - excessive paint chipping on my '19 Sunshine Orange. Chips started showing up within the 1st month of driving. I've never had seen this on any of the other (many) cars that I have owned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes - excessive paint chipping on my '19 Sunshine Orange. Chips started showing up within the 1st month of driving. I've never had seen this on any of the other (many) cars that I have owned.
Dealer took pictures, and had us go to their body shop for an estimate. We'll see where it goes from here. The body shop hinted at general paint issues due to newer paints that meet EPA standards. They see similar issues across makes and models.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not even a single chip on the '18 we got in November 2017, and just one minor door ding above the door moldings I installed (probably from a lifted truck) that will likely polish out.

Very happy with the paint so far.
2916. Hyper blue. 25000 miles. No problems. Do you guys wash and wax your car regularly? Could be the problem
813C725B-A19A-423E-9C18-858EA8F17C51.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wife's 2019 Crosstrek Cool Grey Khaki purchased end October 2019 , 2000 miles and have been noticing small chips on the hood and doors maybe 5 chips size of a pencil eraser. We live in the north east where the winters are brutal. We even paid extra for paint sealant and Ziebart even though I don't think the paint sealant was done correctly I never have had a vehicle chip like this before. It just looks like there is super thin paint and maybe was not applied correctly ????? I will think twice before I purchase a Subaru again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had my 17 ceramic coated and clear bra on all front facing painted surfaces. I did find a very tiny chip on one of the doors and the rear hatch. Touched up with a dab from a paint pen.
Ceramic and bra was the best money I've ever spent on a new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes - excessive paint chipping on my '18 Sunshine Orange, Had it about 20 months now but noticed after only one or two months. Spoke to my dealership about numerous online discussions about this particular colour/timeframe being more susceptible. Not surprisingly, they weren't interested. Has anyone in Australia approached their dealership? They also said that Subaru didn't make the paint pen for it either. I notice when I search for a PAK paint pen, often the year listed for the Subaru XV is just 2016-2017. Does anyone know if this is still accurate for the 2018 models?

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
233 Posts
I've had the white Trek since September 2017 and have not noticed any paint chips on it. There are 54000 km on the clock.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,424 Posts
I was about to order a paint pen for the single chip on the hood, but some say Subaru doesn't make one.
I bought Subaru Sunshine Orange touch-up paint rom the dealer's parts counter when I picked up my new 2019 Crosstrek. It is Subaru part # J361SFL020A1 .
Available here on eBay if you can't find it at a dealer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had my 17 ceramic coated and clear bra on all front facing painted surfaces. I did find a very tiny chip on one of the doors and the rear hatch. Touched up with a dab from a paint pen.
Ceramic and bra was the best money I've ever spent on a new car.
This might help? Hood deflector. As stated before 2016 with 26000 miles No chips 4EB224C0-8C72-4977-873A-8EFC88D1DA35.jpeg plus it blends in with the blacked out part of the headlights. Looks sharp

·
Registered
200 Posts
This might help? Hood deflector. As stated before 2016 with 26000 miles No chips View attachment 299262 plus it blends in with the blacked out part of the headlights. Looks sharp
I may look into the hood deflector. I skipped it initially because of the clear bra but with the fragile paint I'll take any protection I can get. Thanks and the blue looks awesome with the black deflector and headlighst!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I may look into the hood deflector. I skipped it initially because of the clear bra but with the fragile paint I'll take any protection I can get. Thanks and the blue looks awesome with the black deflector and headlighst!!
Yeah it kind of blends in with the blacked out lights to make one continuous “look”

·
Registered
260 Posts
2018 pearl white...some small paint chips, but i take that as normal wear and tear. My problem with the white paint is constant rust spots everywhere. They come off if i treat with Iron-X. But then return in a month.

·
Registered
410 Posts
2018 pearl white...some small paint chips, but i take that as normal wear and tear. My problem with the white paint is constant rust spots everywhere. They come off if i treat with Iron-X. But then return in a month.
. That’s strange. On my 2016 I have no paint chipped off. I do have a spot with exposed metal in the door frame where someone tried to break into my car 2 years ago but even that’s not rusting. I do wash and spray wax my car alot hough. Maybe the hood deflector is more effective than I thought. I’m guessing too that since this car has been driven mostly in Portland Oregon and Virginia that I have had minimal road hazards re winter driving

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is a TSB on Sunshine Orange Paint. Mostly on steps needed to repair damage to the paint. I was about to order a paint pen for the single chip on the hood, but some say Subaru doesn't make one.
Note the TSB states that chipping and peeling repairs are covered under warranty on '18 & '19 Treks with Sunshine Orange paint.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,412 Posts
I knew there was a good reason not to get the orange ones... ?

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,184 Posts
Note the TSB states that chipping and peeling repairs are covered under warranty on '18 & '19 Treks with Sunshine Orange paint.

Thanks. Your reading of the TSB is that all chipping is covered?

I have two small chips, both appear to me to be stone chips, on leading edge of hood. I found from another Subaru person that Subaru makes a paint repair pen and have it sitting on my desk now.

Has anyone taken a stone chip on an Orange Crosstrek and had the dealer repair under the TSB? That seems pretty odd to me although I'd jump at making it happen. If the paint is peeling as the TSB shows I think Subaru should certainly take responsibility for it, but stone chips?

I read the TSB mostly as a warning that when repairs to the paint were needed the paint had to cover larger areas of the damaged area to cover correctly. My paint seems fine and the other problems in the TSB, such as peeling aren't happening on my car.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes - excessive paint chipping on my '18 Sunshine Orange, Had it about 20 months now but noticed after only one or two months. Spoke to my dealership about numerous online discussions about this particular colour/timeframe being more susceptible. Not surprisingly, they weren't interested. Has anyone in Australia approached their dealership? They also said that Subaru didn't make the paint pen for it either. I notice when I search for a PAK paint pen, often the year listed for the Subaru XV is just 2016-2017. Does anyone know if this is still accurate for the 2018 models?
Ours isn't a common colour so ordered the OEM paint pen from the nearest Subaru dealership. It arrived overnight and was only $25. Very easy to use and has the 3 step micro-sander, paint and clear coat all built in. Touched up 2 stone chips on passenger side doors and a scratch on the door sill.
I call ?? that your dealer can't get it in for you. Especially if you've given them your colour code (eg ours is M2Y), from the compliance plate under the bonnet. I've heard there's 2 versions of the orange colour, so the paint code is important. Subaru Docklands in Melbourne has a store on eBay and ship around Australia. Perhaps you could message and order from them instead?
Sadly, I have seen an early model XV in Orange on a used car lot and was shocked the clear coat was already lifting on the bonnet and there were small dents, chips and dull spots on every panel. It clearly hadn't been loved by it's owner and the car yard hadn't made any effort to schmick it up. Still, it was a shock to see such a sorry specimen. ?

41 - 60 of 98 Posts