Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

Has anyone heard when the PHEV will start showing up in show rooms??

We were looking at the Kia Niro PHEV.
But we saw the Crosstrek PHEV at the LA Auto show and really like it.
We want to purchase before the end of the year.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hi all;

We were looking at the Kia Niro PHEV.
But we saw the Crosstrek PHEV at the LA Auto show and really like it.
We want to purchase before the end of the year.

Thanks.
I checked with our dealer here in SM and they said January...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told by a sales rep at the Palm Springs dealership that they won't have any until next fall (2019). That seems hard to believe, but perhaps that's the runaround that we can expect from sales people who want to sell us a car TODAY.

Another one in Southern California told me it would be March.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To reply to my own thread...
I contacted 44 dealers in California today.
Most say that the order book opened less than a week ago.
Most say that any orders today would arrive late January to mid February.
Some say that they have Crosstrek Hybrids coming mid January.
One said they would not have any until April-May.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
To reply to my own thread...
I contacted 44 dealers in California today.
Most say that the order book opened less than a week ago.
Most say that any orders today would arrive late January to mid February.
Some say that they have Crosstrek Hybrids coming mid January.
One said they would not have any until April-May.
44? Wow! You must really want one... :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The order book opened on Monday per my sales person and delivery was scheduled for February. I couldn't wait that long, because I'm loosing my company car at the end of the month and I pulled the trigger on a cool gray Limited. I was really torn on waiting, but after some research (very hard to find objective PHEV real world facts and figures) it was going to be a wash paying for the PHEV or gas.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The order book opened on Monday per my sales person and delivery was scheduled for February. I couldn't wait that long, because I'm loosing my company car at the end of the month and I pulled the trigger on a cool gray Limited. I was really torn on waiting, but after some research (very hard to find objective PHEV real world facts and figures) it was going to be a wash paying for the PHEV or gas.
That's kind of the conclusion I came to, plus you lose some cargo space. Although, I haven't found out yet about the rebates, etc. here in CA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't found out yet about the rebates, etc. here in CA.
The Crosstrek does qualify for a $1500 rebate from the California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles

One of my other questions is whether or not Subaru will pass any of the federal tax credit along to its leasing customers. I've asked Subaru Customer Service, and even they don't seem to know the answer. My hunch is that they will not. It tends to be more upscale companies like BMW and Volvo that give their leasing customers the credit. The downside to the federal tax credit is that it drives down resale values. That's something that will affect purchase customers more than leasing customers, of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The issue with tax credits is you can only collect them if you owe any money and there is an expiration on them. Rebates from a utility is strait cash in your pocket. I usually break even every year (either owe or collect under $500), my credits would expire before I could use them all. If you buy in 2019 and adjust your deductions to owe more than $4500 in tax you will collect in April 2020.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The issue with tax credits is you can only collect them if you owe any money and there is an expiration on them. Rebates from a utility is strait cash in your pocket. I usually break even every year (either owe or collect under $500), my credits would expire before I could use them all. If you buy in 2019 and adjust your deductions to owe more than $4500 in tax you will collect in April 2020.
Yes, that's correct if you're purchasing the vehicle. If you're leasing, the auto finance company receives the tax credit, so it's up to them as to whether or not you'll receive any benefit from it. Some auto finance companies pass the savings on to the leasing customer, while others do not.

Volvo and BMW, for example, give their leasing customers the full amount of the credit, while Toyota gives their leasing customers nothing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a 2014 hybrid last month because my Prius was totaled and I needed something to drive. I really wanted the 2019 but all the people I spoke to told me there was no confirmed release date. Its killing me that it is so soon after I bought a vehicle. The crazy thing is I have been waiting since 2007 to get a hybrid Subaru. Back then I traded in my 2002 WRX for a Prius because back then my Subaru dealer told me they were never coming out with a hybrid. TBH I'm not that impressed with the 2014 hybrid, the gas mileage is nothing compared to the Prius. Fingers crossed this 2019 will be better and I'll be able to find a used one in about a year.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Kody the Cat just got this. He said, meh. It may have been just a mew but it sounded like meh... :D

Dear Kody,

The best of both worlds is here and available to purchase now. The 2019 Crosstrek Hybrid features standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology1, STARLINK™ Multimedia with Apple CarPlay™ and Android™ Auto, and Pandora®integration2. And at up to 90 MPGe3, it’s the most fuel efficient all-wheel drive plug-in hybrid in America4.

The Crosstrek Hybrid uses Subaru StarDrive™ Technology to give you options without the compromises. It’s the Subaru SUV you can plug in when you’re running errands around town or gas up for your long weekend road trip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It will be available in all states but now is just limited. I am trying to purchase one here in Florida but it looks like sometime in May or June. It looks like I have more info than the dealer. They didn’t even know it was already up on the Subaru website. They told me they have been promised allocation for them but no info on how many and when....

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
When it was announced they said it would only be available in states that adopted California's emission requirements but I don't see that on the website now. If it's now available everywhere but the supply is very limited that seems odd - I would have thought they would want to sell the ones they have in the states that require them to have a certain number of low or zero emission vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a 2014 hybrid last month because my Prius was totaled and I needed something to drive. I really wanted the 2019 but all the people I spoke to told me there was no confirmed release date. Its killing me that it is so soon after I bought a vehicle. The crazy thing is I have been waiting since 2007 to get a hybrid Subaru. Back then I traded in my 2002 WRX for a Prius because back then my Subaru dealer told me they were never coming out with a hybrid. TBH I'm not that impressed with the 2014 hybrid, the gas mileage is nothing compared to the Prius. Fingers crossed this 2019 will be better and I'll be able to find a used one in about a year.
I purchased a 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring in Plazma Green Pearl and the listed MPG was only 1 MPG more than the standard engine.
That's why it only lasted three years. But it is fun to hear the engine totally shut off when stopped and drive slowly with only the electric engine. Also great color.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A look at the specifics of the new hybrid shows an extra 500 lbs for the battery. Probably the reason for the crappy gas mileage for a PHEV. The electric tech is always cool but the constant extra weight was the deal-breaker for me.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
A look at the specifics of the new hybrid shows an extra 500 lbs for the battery. Probably the reason for the crappy gas mileage for a PHEV. The electric tech is always cool but the constant extra weight was the deal-breaker for me.
And you also lose cargo space, to accommodate the battery...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
17 Participants
dpc166
Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
At Subaru XV Forum you'll find fellow Subaru XV Enthusiasts to help perfect that Subaru Crosstrek Build, or share all kinds of information about this Subaru from its specs to its design.
Full Forum Listing