Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folk....Hope everyones having a good night. Just took my 2016 Crosstrek in for the front wheel bearings and they are trying to sell me front sway bar links. They gave me a price of $450.....I'm just wondering if anyone here has done them and if it's anything hard. Every video I've watched makes it look easy but we all know how videos go sometimes. Thanks for any help folks and have a great night

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
469 Posts
Hi folk....Hope everyones having a good night. Just took my 2016 Crosstrek in for the front wheel bearings and they are trying to sell me front sway bar links. They gave me a price of $450.....I'm just wondering if anyone here has done them and if it's anything hard. Every video I've watched makes it look easy but we all know how videos go sometimes. Thanks for any help folks and have a great night
Welcome!

they are not difficult to replace with correct tools, moderate mechanical skills, and light familiarity with the type of project.
If you’re asking if the end links need to be replaced or not, as in is the garage trying to dupe you into spending more money, that’s hard for us to tell on a forum. if you feel rattled or looser steering on bumps or turning on uneven ground, or when at the end of braking or at a harsh take off, you may have worn end links.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

they are not difficult to replace with correct tools, moderate mechanical skills, and light familiarity with the type of project.
If you’re asking if the end links need to be replaced or not, as in is the garage trying to dupe you into spending more money, that’s hard for us to tell on a forum. if you feel rattled or looser steering on bumps or turning on uneven ground, or when at the end of braking or at a harsh take off, you may have worn end links.
Thanks....I'm more concerned about the looks easy on a video and in reality I need 4 jacks and a come along to line stuff up again. they're only $20 each on rock auto and I've gotta order other stuff for my kids car so getting them isn't a worry. Thanks again boss

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
128 Posts
I saw the Moog front links at Rock Auto for my 2022. The 2nd Generation are different than first. Easy to tell, there are left and right part numbers for later models.
Have not wrestled the fronts. Did disconnect the rear when swapping rear shocks. You really only need two jacks, or one floor jack and jack stand. I have swapped links on several cars. None required a come along.
Pulling and reinstalling the wheels is 75% of labor. Two nuts for sway bar links. Will need an Allen wrench to hold the ball.
If someone said they are worn swap out. You can reach behind the wheel and twist the link. If they rotate easily by hand they are worn.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,716 Posts
End links don’t affect the alignment. I had one replaced for $50.
I bought it for RockAuto and had my mechanic do the labor.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
220 Posts
Worn anti-sway bar end-links are mostly noticeable when turning, causing increased roll in corners. If really needed they can cause dangerous handling.

They go bad slowly so people can get used to them but being a safety concern need replacement periodically. At 8 years old with a bunch of miles on them, they need replacement.

To me they’re part of ongoing upkeep. As such I’ve replaced many, but I do my own work and have the tools and experience. Lacking those your learning curve will probably be steep but persevere. It’s not hard.

Get used to buying tools… and a little blood. 😁

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2019 Impreza Sport MT, 2001 Forester S 4EAT, 2013 Outback Premium CVT
333 Posts
The swap is not hard to do. A few things to note. It's important to have both wheels under the same load. So you can use ramps, do it on the ground without ramps or have both wheels off the ground. To me ramps are the easiest but what you can't have the sway bar under load where one wheel is off the ground and the other isn't. This puts torque across the bar and that makes it almost impossible to remove the bolts plus it's dangerous.

Do yourself a favor and spray the nuts and threads with some good penetrating oil. If possible do it a few times over a week. Let it soak. I like PB Blaster but there are a few other good ones. The reason I say this is, you will need to put a hex bit in the end of the stud to hold it back and turn the nut with a wrench. A box end wrench would be best or even a flair nut wrench for a good grip. If the bolt is really tight, the hex bit will turn in the opening and basically flair the end of the stud making it impossible to get the nut off. If that happens you will have to either get a nutcracker or cut the stud off.

Don't let this scare you, it's usually not an issue, it really depends on the conditions where you live and how old the car is. Spraying with the penetrating oil really minimizes the risk of running into issues of the bolt being that hard to get off. Also since they did the wheel bearings odd are they had to remove the links so it may super easy to remove them since they were taken off recently. It really should only take less than an hour to change them. 450 seems pretty steep to me you can get ones that are able to be greased for under 20 bucks each >>Click Me<<

Some Pics I have from installs I've done in the past, I'm not sure if the sizes are the same but you get the idea.

Product Purple Violet Automotive tire Magenta

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Gas Automotive wheel system Cable

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
128 Posts
When releasing the rear and reconnecting the links swiveled enough to reconnect.
Just raise control arm enough with floor jack to get to correct height.
I have had to replace air struts on my A8 and XJR many times. The links have to be disconnected to swap out struts. Never had an issue only raising one wheel at a time.
Car May ride like new afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I recently just did my front ones for about $48 dollars from rockauto and an hour of my time. It's easy. It's helpful to put some penetrating lube on the threads a day before doing the work to loosen them up.

I torqued mine back up once the car was lowered to the ground on the wheel so everything was straight. I found that jacked up it was tricky with the strut pushing downward. Like someone said, use another jack to prop the LCA up and tighten it all.

Or do the whole job while the car is on the ground! I've done that before, not ideal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts