Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

· Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,736 Posts
Has anyone tried to quantify the cost of maintaining and securing sources of oil vs heavy/rare earth materials? How much of our money goes to the human and physical costs of keeping the supply (oil and for comparison heavy/rare battery metals) Don't know if that is actually possible but I'm inclined to believe that oil is very much on the minds of some folks fighting wars.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation about EVs on the internet. This article from MotorTrend tries to counter some of that.
Wow, great article! Yes, it does appear that batteries are a convenient bogeyman used to bash EV's. That being said, I think this ship has sailed. Car companies see the handwriting on the wall and they are all investing in EV technology. The only real obstacle is a lack of widespread infrastructure for re-charging EV's. That won't happen until oil companies decide it's profitable to build EV charging stations.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
It's about EVs and Subaru doesn't have one...
True. I have always felt that hybrids are the worst of both worlds. The only hybrid I would consider owning is a Prius and that would only be if I had a long car commute with mostly city driving. City deiving is where hybrids really shine. When you take a hybrid version of most ICE cars, the improvement in fuel economy is only around 3mpg.

Reactions: AstroKats

· Electrified!
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

· Electrified!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
True. I have always felt that hybrids are the worst of both worlds. The only hybrid I would consider owning is a Prius and that would only be if I had a long car commute with mostly city driving. City deiving is where hybrids really shine. When you take a hybrid version of most ICE cars, the improvement in fuel economy is only around 3mpg.
Not always. The ICE RAV4 is 29mpg combined whereas the hybrid version is 40mpg combined (not the RAV4 prime). If you're thinking the 2014 Crosstrek and the 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid, yeah that was horrible.

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,759 Posts
61% of the US electric production was from fossil fuels in 2021. 19% was from nuclear, and 20% was from renewables. Far cry from almost entirely fossil fuels.

Good to know, it has been a while since I looked at the stats.

I still wonder how the carbon footprint compares when considering the generation of electricity, transmission, and the manufacturing of the vehicle and battery. All of the studies I've read and the awards that Subaru has received only focus on the comparison between ICE only and hybrid model emissions.

· Electrified!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yeah, it's certainly been a few years since all of these newer technologies have been used for electric generation. I remember 20 years ago in college that fossil fuels were something like 90% or so. It's nice to see all of these battery options for lawn care equipment. I'll be buying an EGO riding mower in a few months and it'll be great to not deal with winterizing that and the string trimmer and simply bring the batteries inside and use them for other EGO products.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
61% of the US electric production was from fossil fuels in 2021. 19% was from nuclear, and 20% was from renewables. Far cry from almost entirely fossil fuels.

And that depends on where you live. In New England, electric generation is almost 50% from renewable sources.

The Solterra is a start toward EV's for Subaru. In time, they will develop more EV's. As I have said before, the only thing stopping me from going that route is lack of re-charging infrastructure in remote areas.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
Yeah, it's certainly been a few years since all of these newer technologies have been used for electric generation. I remember 20 years ago in college that fossil fuels were something like 90% or so. It's nice to see all of these battery options for lawn care equipment. I'll be buying an EGO riding mower in a few months and it'll be great to not deal with winterizing that and the string trimmer and simply bring the batteries inside and use them for other EGO products.
I now have the Toro 60V line of rechargeable lawn/yard equipment including their lawnmower, chainsaw and leaf blower. The lawnmower and chainsaw are awesome - quiet with no nasty smell. The leaf blower works OK, but on turbo mode, only runs for about 10 minutes before needing a recharge.

· Resident topic drifter
17,759 Posts
And that depends on where you live. In New England, electric generation is almost 50% from renewable sources.

The Solterra is a start toward EV's for Subaru. In time, they will develop more EV's. As I have said before, the only thing stopping me from going that route is lack of re-charging infrastructure in remote areas.
That would also be a concern, although I'm not looking to buy an EV any time soon. For a trip from here to Napa, for example, I expect it would have to be planned carefully with time for recharging also factored in. I'm used to just looking for the nearest gas station when the orange light comes on.

· Electrified!
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

Yeah, that makes sense and that data is total electric generation for the entire US broken down by fuel type just to show that fossil fuels aren't as high anymore. Here in PA, natural gas is the biggest, followed by coal and then nuclear. Where I am, it's probably more coal and nuclear than natural gas (I live near Limerick nuclear power station).

I like the idea of the EGO system where you can take the battery out of the mower and put it into the leaf blower and clean off the mower, plus how much quieter everything is. I grew up wearing ear protection when mowing the lawn so quieter than a gas ZT mower will be great!

That would also be a concern, although I'm not looking to buy an EV any time soon. For a trip from here to Napa, for example, I expect it would have to be planned carefully with time for recharging also factored in. I'm used to just looking for the nearest gas station when the orange light comes on.
Yeah, makes total sense. The only time we go on a long trip is when we drive to Maine so we take the wife's RAV4 because it has more space. I wouldn't have a problem taking my Crosstrek, but there's just no space in the back without having to put the seats down. My car sees mostly local driving of up to 300mi round trip so that's 280mi of gas driving. When we move in a few months I'll be even closer to all of our activities so I'm going to be all electric even more with less time charging.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
Well I'm hoping not to have to buy a car anytime soon. My Crosstrek is only 3 years old and I hope to get at least 10 years out of it, maybe more.

You do bring up another issue. Even when the infrastructure is there, it takes about 20 minutes to recharge a vehicle vs. about 3 minutes to fill a gas tank. Will definitely have to plan trips accordingly.

Orange light?? :eek: I look for gas when the tank goes below half!

· Resident topic drifter
17,759 Posts
Well I'm hoping not to have to buy a car anytime soon. My Crosstrek is only 3 years old and I hope to get at least 10 years out of it, maybe more.

You do bring up another issue. Even when the infrastructure is there, it takes about 20 minutes to recharge a vehicle vs. about 3 minutes to fill a gas tank. Will definitely have to plan trips accordingly.

Orange light?? :eek: I look for gas when the tank goes below half!
Yeah, I know. Here in earthquake territory it's recommended to keep at least half a tank of gas in the car. I'm just lazy about that.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts