Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,556 Posts
  • They say the average gas vehicle data comes from a car with a fuel economy of 27 mpg. They then add a factor of 1.25 to account for emissions from the production and transportation of gasoline.
I hope this information helps answer what you're looking for.
After adding in this 'guestimate' for the inefficiencies of producing and transporting gasoline- they conveniently overlook the 'problems' of obtaining Lithium.
Yes, let's add in 25% for the guestimate on gasoline, because Lithium is so easy to get out of the ground and to process into a usable state for batteries, that that environmental impact shouldn't be considered; and its transportation costs are free too.

· Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,556 Posts
They are not overlooking the 'problems' of obtaining lithium. These calculations are for operating emissions, not vehicle construction. The emissions associated with lithium for this battery is contained in the battery production value of 1.034 metric tonnes of CO2 emissions.
How exactly do they include in those calculations, the environmental impact of the land laid waste and water poisoned in the third-world countries where the Lithium is obtained?

· Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,556 Posts
I have said before in this forum, that if technology was advanced enough, I would be almost the first in line to purchase an EV powered by a fusion reactor the size of a breadbox- if I could afford it. But the current state of battery technology using Lithium is in my opinion a horrible solution to a bad problem.

· Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,556 Posts
Do you not realize that oil production is much worse than mining lithium and has a far reaching negative impact than lithium?

4 Billion tons of crude oil were extracted form the ground alone in 2020. That's 11.19 Billion tons of CO2 emissions. Drilling, refining, and transporting oil are still much worse on the environment, especially since it is a single use material that is burned and everyone in the world breathes air.
You are running into economics of scale there too- 99.8% (WAG) of the world runs on gasoline and diesel, so yeah, the impact is a little larger than for EV's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts