Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
We don't have emission checks in my area, so what does that say about my state's politics? And I know another very conservative state does check for emissions but has no routine safety checks. You can't predict this based on state politics.

But let's get back on topic. Diode Dynamics' web page for the SL1 bulbs now states:

Since the FMVSS108 document does not specifically exclude LED bulbs from housings that came with halogen bulbs, it would seem the problem is just lack of DOT certification, which would be quite tricky if not impossible to accomplish, since the proper photometry that FMVSS108 requires would need the proper spline adjustment of each bulb to suit the headlamp housing. Even if they could get certification by selling bulbs specifically adjusted for each vehicle, that would add additional cost to an already expensive bulb. Not to mention, in less than 10 years all new vehicles are going to come with LED headlights standard, and so how much market is there going to be for LED replacements for halogens in older cars. Answer: Not enough.

And certainly hearing what I just speculated from DD directly would be better.
Seems about right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Blue - Please calm down. I can have an opinion. Sounds like your part of the woke crowd that wants to enforce my way or the highway. That's dangerous.
You're making assumptions that are wrong. But you deal with your state's laws, whatever state it is, as they are or you do something about them or move or shut up. Those are the options. Griping does nothing and name-calling states "communist" is absurd.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're making assumptions that are wrong. But you deal with your state's laws, whatever state it is, as they are or you do something about them or move or shut up. Those are the options. Griping does nothing and name-calling states "communist" is absurd.
My prior comment to you stands.

Reactions: muhvape

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stop with the stupid "communist states" ****. You don't like where you live? Move. Or you don't like a state's laws? Move there and work to change them. Otherwise, shut up.

And California only does smog checks, not vehicle checks, and they are only once every 2 years. There are very few vehicle modifications that aren't allowed in California but, yes, not your exhaust system if it interferes with pollution controls.

And if your lights were properly installed, then of course you wouldn't be getting "flashed" or pulled over.

And tell me ONE way, just ONE, that California laws infringe on your Constitutional rights. And if you say the 2nd Amendment, then you don't understand the Constitution.
Lol calm down Comrad, did I trespass on your safe space? I have the 1st amendment which is backed up by my 2nd amendment so you can try to silence someone else.

Have you ever been to Berkeley there are actual communist flags and propaganda on apartment windows and PRIVATELY owned vehicles and houses.

Agree with getting sick with the persistent leftist mentality of my way or the highway we can all have opinions!

See you around in the gulag comrade!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I invested in the DD SL1 headlamp bulbs too, less than a year ago, and have been so pleased with the improved night vision. Then today I got dinged on my annual safety inspection that LED bulbs in halogen-designed fixtures aren't legal. And it's not just my state - checking on DD's website, it seems they no longer offer SL1 bulbs because they're banned at the federal level. This must have been new/recent regulatory change, or DD wouldn't have invested the effort to bring those bulbs to market. I came here to see if they'd made any statement about it, but haven't found anything yet. Where is the DD official statement? They haven't even taken down or annotated their SL1 announcement thread that has links to their website for a product that doesn't exist.

Not to mention my halogen low beams were getting flashed by other drivers a few times a year, since going to the DD LEDs I haven't been flashed once.
Unfortunately, LED bulbs in a halogen reflector can produce a blinding glare to oncoming vehicles, even if the lights are aimed properly. I have been looking at this issue for a while, but apart from swapping out the housings and wiring harnesses, I know no safe or legal way to do upgrade from halogens to LEDs.

PS--Just because people don't bright you does not mean that your lights don't cause unnecessary and dangerous glare.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Unfortunately, LED bulbs in a halogen reflector can produce a blinding glare to oncoming vehicles, even if the lights are aimed properly. I have been looking at this issue for a while, but apart from swapping out the housings and wiring harnesses, I know no safe or legal way to do upgrade from halogens to LEDs.

PS--Just because people don't bright you does not mean that your lights don't cause unnecessary and dangerous glare.
You are contradicting yourself. If they are aimed properly, they should be good.
If you adjust the low beams as to not enter other vehicles windows, they should not cause dangerous glare.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You are contradicting yourself. If they are aimed properly, they should be good.
If you adjust the low beams as to not enter other vehicles windows, they should not cause dangerous glare.
Aiming does not have a direct correlation to glare. The beams could be aimed properly but still produce glare because halogen reflectors will throw the light differently, even if the beam pattern looks the same.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Aiming does not have a direct correlation to glare. The beams could be aimed properly but still produce glare because halogen reflectors will throw the light differently, even if the beam pattern looks the same.
Light being directed differently does not necessarily cause glare.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts