Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd check Rokblox, they have been making flaps for the XV for a while now and they look and sound IDENTICAL. they even have decals so the logo is optional. I'll post pics in a little while.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
So my mud flaps arrived today and I tried installing them but got a hiccup. The L bracket they refer to in the instructions is supposed to have a long side and a short side .. mine is equal lengths. The L bracket is used to hold hold the bottom screw to the fender molding but it's too short on one side. Also a couple pictures in the instructions were cut off so I couldn't see what they were trying to show. I emailed Gorilla so hopefully I will get some answers. Anyone else run into problems installing on the XV?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have not installed mine yet, but I know what you mean about the pictures that go along with the instructions. It kind of looks like they were printed profile when when it should have been landscape. I figure it won't be that difficult to install them once I get going, but better pictures would be nice.

Also, about a week after I received them, I got a small package in the mail containing 2 small black "L" brackets. Perhaps that solves the bracket issue? (Cost them over $2.00 to send)

Still it looks like a good product with some minor bugs - so far would definitely buy again.

Maybe Gorilla could put the install pictures up on their website?

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Yeah, hopefully your brackets have a longer side that will fit. I haven't gotten a response from Gorilla.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Just got an email from Derek at Gorilla saying they may have sent the wrong brackets. He's going to check the order and get back to me. Hopefully he will send me the right brackets soon.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I installed 3 of 4 today (got talking to my neighbor and ran out of daylight to do the last one).

2 tips for install from my experience:

1 - plan on removing the rear wheels unless you feel comfortable doing some light disassembly and pulling of the rear bumper slightly to gain access to one of the screw points and you have a small offset screwdriver.

2 - I found that the supplied plastic insert supplied with the kit for the center attach point (rear flap) was not the greatest and it spun on me when I was attempting to drive the screw into it. Access behind the attach point is minimal (see #1). However, I had a couple extra screw clips with the hardware in my kit that I used to solve that issue. If you can gain access to the metal tab behind the plastic, then attach a screw clip there and the problem is solved. I gained access by removing the plastic trim clips underneath the rear bumper (3, I think) and the one at the very forward part of the rear bumper assembly, in the wheel opening lip, then gently pulling outward on the bumper assembly wheel opening at the top.

You will see what I mean when you examine the parts and directions, I think. I just finished the no drill TorkLift install, so I was not intimidated to loosen up the bumper. Didn't have to take off the rear light assembly to get enough room to reach the attachment point. Be careful to "layer" all the plastic correctly as you reassemble. Generally, the bumper assembly is on the outside of everything.

In a nutshell, the general idea of the installation is simple but the instructions are a bit complex. The idea is to put screw clips on 2 outer metal attach points (tabs) in the front (where the plastic trim clips used to be) and to make a vertical attach point from a horizontal one using an L bracket (for the bottom screw). The rear flap is attached with one outer screw clip attached to the plastic where a trim clip used to be, a bottom screw clip attached to the plastic with a new hole for the screw that you drill, and the center rear attach point as described above. Various spacers between the car and the flaps are used for proper positioning.

With screw clips at each attach point, I was able to install a rear flap without lifting the car or removing the wheel. The screws spin in most of the way with fingers, and the rest of the way with channel locks and an offset screwdriver.

These pictures are all from the front left install. I don't have any rear pictures but might post some tomorrow after I install the last one.

Pulling back the fender liner... I already installed 2 screw clips, the L bracket will be attached the the hole visible in the bottom center of the picture with a screw clip yet to be pushed onto the metal.
pullbackliner.jpg
This is the bottom screw clip attached to the L bracket:
bottomtab.jpg
This is a picture looking up from under the car showing the L bracket attach screw and washer.
bottom.jpg
I have the top screw started and the mud flap will be rotated clockwise to match up with the holes...
onestarted.jpg
All done except for the black plasti dip!
frontdone.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Cool. Can you confirm that your L bracket had a long and short side?

I installed the rear flaps today. Took off the wheels. I know what you mean about the plastic insert spinning. I was using a drill to put in the screws and found putting some weight into it stopped the spinning and it snug up tight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm up in the air trying to figure out which mudflaps to get... The Rally Armor or the Gorilla? What are everyone's pros and cons?

The Gorilla flaps look larger, and maybe provide more protection. Appears less flexible.

The Rally Armor flaps seem to have curved edges, are little smaller, and the red logo (which I think is cool). Appears more flexible.

What other opinions do you guys have?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cool. Can you confirm that your L bracket had a long and short side?

I installed the rear flaps today. Took off the wheels. I know what you mean about the plastic insert spinning. I was using a drill to put in the screws and found putting some weight into it stopped the spinning and it snug up tight.
Yeah, I had no way to exert much force on the screw since I left the wheel on. Yes, used the set of brackets with the long and short sides today.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Got a response today from Gorilla but they are still looking into it and will back to me. Patiently waiting.

·
Registered
288 Posts
OK, I got the other rear flap installed and I took some pictures. All of this is from the right rear mud flap install.

The single plastic trim clip on the wheel opening lip..
20130927_105021.jpg
The 3 bumper trim clips on the bottom of the car
rightrearunder.jpg
Pulling the bumper assembly out just slightly to gain access behind the fender liner.
rightrearbumper.jpg
Pulling the fender liner forward. The bottom of the bumper is already pulled outward a little.
fenderliner2.jpg
This is the metal tab where the screw clip will be placed.
reartab.jpg

I would suggest that after the clip is in place on the metal tab and checking to see that the screw will thread into the clip properly, reinstall the plastic bumper trim clips (don't forget the one on the wheel opening lip) first before tightening everything up.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Mine finally arrived recently but upon checking my brackets they are the wrong V shape instead of L shaped like James found.
image.jpg
I got a reply from Derek at Gorilla and he apologised and said they are in the process of checking and correcting wrong brackets that were sent out. He said to tell you all that they are aware and working on the resolution.
"It hasn't affected to many folks but we had to wait on the hardware to come in and are still working on getting these sent out. We do apologize for this issue and for any inconvenience this has caused."
I just hope my correct brackets arrive soon because my son was going to install mine for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wish I could help you guys out that don't have the correct brackets. Actually, having the exact bracket is not a huge deal if you can get to a hardware store and find something like this:

Lbrackets.jpg

The brackets are used on the front set only, which are the easiest to work with. I am certain that anyone who is the least bit handy could find another bracket to work.

I know it is a bit of a pain not to have the exact parts. They made a mistake and it seems are trying to correct it. But the fix is not that tough if you are in a hurry to get them on. Maybe do some test fitting and see what you think. The screws/washers and clips will hold the fender pieces fine if you start the project and then decide to wait for the clips.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fascinating read folks! I had a Legacy and Outback in the early '90 to '99 or so and my daily commute was 14 miles of gravel road one way, everyday. All those cars had were the styling flaps that came on the car. No car damage and minimal stone chips which I could get just running up the Interstate. So now in FL and except for 1 or 2 trips a week to the range, I will be on paved road. Don't really see a need and they look like a Peterbilt XV, IMHO, but to each their own. Always fun reading DIY XV stories anyway! And the knowledge along with humor(humour for some)on this forum is incredible. Work on ya'll, lol

paul

21 - 40 of 204 Posts