Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of searching I found no answers, so apologies if everybody already knows about this.
For me, it just goes to show that if you press enough buttons magic can happen. The snag is remembering how to repeat it. Here is what I think I did:

1. I applied the latest Nov 2020 Subaru map update. I have no idea if it helped. (The iPhone is on 14.4.2)

2. In Google Maps settings, invoked by clicking the little owner's photo when the search box is dismissed, choose Settings/Navigation/Play voice over Bluetooth AND Play as Bluetooth phone call. I already had the phone paired with the car Bluetooth.

3. Connect the phone to the car by USB lead. This is counter-intuitive after (2) above, but still necessary. I also have the Starlink app on the phone, but it doesn't seem to offer anything useful in this context, but who knows ?

4. Choose a route on the phone and get directions, maybe this helped.

5. Choose the Phone app on the car. (The phone was already registered on the car of course). Here is the 'magic' bit: Down the right hand side are 3 icons, google maps, music, and phone. Click the maps icon and you get a display as per my picture, which is a copy of the iPhone display, and control is transferred to the car while the iPhone changes to showing the turn-by-turn list.

Before all this, I used to run with the map on the phone and sound over the car speakers, but this squelched the radio and failed to re-enable it after speaking, and I had to choose between power over USB or power via a 12v cigar adapter. If using USB, mayhem resulted from an incoming phone call with the only option was to yank the lead out. I have yet to find out if incoming calls work in the latest setup.

A further frustration was the volume setting on the iPhone. You have to turn it up and down while using Google Maps !! The phone's normal volume setting is not imported or changed by the maps app.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The iPhone Starlink app is definitely part of it because if I pull the USB cable out the app comes up on my phone. Putting the cable back restores the whole situation (impressive). Incoming phone calls work fine, once again adjust the volume during the call, and outgoing are via the phone icon on the map page (see photo).

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
We have an '18 Crosstrek and my partner has an iPhone 8 and uses Google Maps (she prefers it to Apple Maps). So, it's the identical setup and she hasn't had any problems getting it to display on the infotainment system screen. To use Apple CarPlay you need to plug the phone into the USB, otherwise it's using the car's own system called Starlink.

I don't recommend the Starlink app on the phone. Uninstall it and install the MySubaru app instead.

More info here:

p.s. I'm a British expat, now in Santa Monica.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have an '18 Crosstrek and my partner has an iPhone 8 and uses Google Maps (she prefers it to Apple Maps). So, it's the identical setup and she hasn't had any problems getting it to display on the infotainment system screen. To use Apple CarPlay you need to plug the phone into the USB, otherwise it's using the car's own system called Starlink.

I don't recommend the Starlink app on the phone. Uninstall it and install the MySubaru app instead.

More info here:

p.s. I'm a British expat, now in Santa Monica.
Thanks for that, AstroKats. It would be nice if all this interoperability was described somewhere, it certainly is not on the web, so maybe I should go back and read the books again. I am reluctant to make changes now because it is behaving exactly as I want, which is radio, phone, and google maps. The words "Car Play" do pop up occasionally but I don't know why; the phone has "Starlink" and not "MySubaru", it only talks about things I don't want, but comes up if I pull the USB out. I only have one music track on the phone, and when I bought the car it got played when ever I connected the USB, forcing me to use a 12v adapter. If you know about anything worth reading, please point me at it.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
I read the manual when we bought the car... 😸

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Book B1323YE-C pages 108-109 is all I can find, and the screenshot is not like mine. Perhaps some prior knowledge of what is achievable might have helped. It does say that USB must be connected, but the bluetooth requirement is not mentioned. I can't believe everyone just did it, especially as there are so many people moaning about sound problems such as the radio remaining muted after a navigation message, and nobody taking about a Google Maps display on the HU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts